Who did that song and what's the title?

JHCALLAHAN

OK, I've been surfing like a madman, and I find Lyrics by Sinatra, all kinds of mentions of his doing the song, but can't find a listing ANYWHERE of a CD containing that song. Anyone have a suggestion? (Sorry, I've heard all three or four best known versions and I like Sinatra's best. Just can't find a CD :( )

Thanks again,

JHC

Mach..was way more later than Sinatra in his hayday..perhaps recorded by him , but....the best known version...

by THE late/great Bobby Darin..Kevin spacey starred in the flick..Beyoud the Sea, last year..the life and times of Bobby Darin with wife, the Late Sandra Dee..always glad to help...lucky

Glad I'm not the only one who watched the movie. Had BD's albums growing up. Use to drive my brother crazy singing them all the time

I'm sitting in a large convention hall waiting while DD is dancing, and what song is coming out of one of the massive dance halls is none other than UNDER THE SEA!

Someone's in there learning a dance routine to it.

Sorry Robbie. I'm a grumpy counterculture ole f#rt already I suppose. I like old country, old rock, old movies etc etc etc. Not much into pop culture. I went to sleep in the recliner during the 10 o'clock news last night, and when I woke up Seinfeld was on. Had to go to bed post haste. Have never figured out how anyone with an IQ higher than a Galapagos tortoise could stand to watch that drivel. Stupidest thing I ever saw in my life. .

JHC

JHC, it sounds like you and I may be contemporaries...I, too, love old country, and roots rock (people like Delbert McClinton, Joe Ely, Terry Allen, Robert Earl Keen, Lyle Lovett, Butch Hancock, Fred Eaglesmith etc.) and my generation "created" rock and roll by either buying or shoplifting the old 45s by Jerry Lee, Carl Perkins, Little Richard, Buddy Holly, Hank Ballard and the Midnighters, etc.). I also like the older blues and people like Slim Harpo, Lightning Slim, Howling Wolf, and I love cool jazz (Miles, Cannonball, Brubeck, Thelonius etc.).....

But I gotta take exception to your trashing of "Seinfeld". :) I know what you mean, and I felt the same way you did when Seinfeld was in its prime.... the elitist in me thought, "If it's that popular, it can't be very good". I was wrong. My middle son got me the first three seasons on dvd two years ago, and kept asking me if I had watched them yet. I finally watched them and after about the first five or six episodes (after I got to know the characters and their relationships and way of inter-acting with each other), I began to realize that they were both hilarious and brilliant... and so many of the episodes make references to previous episodes which only the "insiders" can pick up on. Examples would be "Not that there's anything wrong with that" and "I'm master of my domain".

I like to think that my IQ is higher than that of a Galapagos tortoise, since I was a National Merit Scholar, have a master's in literature, taught English for 16 years and was Phi Beta Kappa, etc. I don't say this to brag, but just to validate my competition with the turtle and to show you that not all people who love Seinfeld are idiots. :)

But, JHC, in conjunction with your "counter-culture" self, I was also permanently expelled from high school (I still don't have a diploma or a GED, even though I taught English at the school which kicked me out:) ) and I was kicked out of college the first time I went, and I was sent home from church camp, kicked out of the Boy Scouts, and lost my stripe five times during my three years in the army. :rolleyes:

I agree with you about how great all the "older" things you mentioned are, but I also have to say that there is fantastic stuff going on now, too. Some of the best tv ever made is happening right now... things like Rome, the Tudors, Nip/Tuck, Curb Your Enthusiasm, the L Word, The Riches, Big Love, Weeds, Californication, Dexter, Rescue Me, etc...... future classics are being created every season.

To me one of the saddest things about people as they grow older is that they close their minds off and refuse to experience anything new and seek solace in the past and begin condemning everything that has happened since then. Don't get too locked into repeating the past. Remember that today is merely tomorrow's past. :D

Plus, it's sort of cool being the only person over 40 at a Rasputina, Beck or Ani di Franco concert:cool:

Just my humble little old hillbilly North Carolina country boy opinion.

Archived