Aft suite - dreaded vent or dreaded beam?!

TrinaLC

I am begging you all for an odor report for Diamond Princess C748 and C753. I'm planning to spend a month of my life in 2009 in those two cabins.

Yikes, hope someone will respond, but if you do about 2 hours of google searches you should find everything I did - there is good information out there.

I just booked C748 on Carib. Princess, C750 and C751 are still available. What exactly is the dreaded vent that affects C748? Are there "beam" or "vent" issues with the other two staterooms? Looking at the pictures which have been kindly provided, I can't see any vents or beams on Caribe deck on the Carib. Princess. What am I missing?

It really is amazing how much impact the beam has when it is in the middle of the balcony like that...I had previously seen pictures of the Dolphin Vista suite, and there the beam is off to one side and the balcony is longer, so it has much less of an impact. thanks for posting the picture.

The Beam in B750/B751 on the Crown really did impact the way we could use the balcony. We could only move furniture past the beam on one side, a real pain. Also on that cruise we were celebrating an important wedding anniversary and we had planned to have a gathering of friends on the balcony. No way could we do what we had planned and that is why we went after Princess.

sue

I actually feel the beem in B751/B750 isn't as bad as it looks in pictures. Yeah, it might prevent you from having a larger number of people on the balcony (although the balcony is narrow enough anyways that I'm not sure how many you'd want out there), but there's really more room in front of it than it looks. There's also enough room that you can put a chair next to the beam. Now, that said, Princess could definitely be more upfront about that cabin. It's listed as a "partially obstructed view", but I know when our TA asked about it, she was told it was because the balcony next to it sticks out further (which isn't really that true either, the curve does make it a little further out, but not an obstucting view type). In a larger suite balcony I think it'd be even less of an issue, and more like some of the suites on the ships with the inbuilt balconies, where you tend to get structure blocking part of the balcony anyways.

(Oh, and it does make a GREAT thing to hold onto when the horizon starts tilting.)

Just off the Emerald Trans-Atlantic, We had a aft suite, I believe A750, The balcony was huge, but there is a fan noise. You get used to it when at sea, but it runs constantly, and can be annoyance when in port. Our friends had the outside suite, much larger than the inside suite, but did have beam, and deck is alot smaller. If you like large balconies, the aft suite balcony is huge. Hope this helps,

Tom

Just off the Emerald Trans-Atlantic, We had a aft suite, I believe A750, The balcony was huge, but there is a fan noise. You get used to it when at sea, but it runs constantly, and can be annoyance when in port. Our friends had the outside suite, much larger than the inside suite, but did have beam, and deck is alot smaller. If you like large balconies, the aft suite balcony is huge. Hope this helps,

Tom

We are sailing on the Carib Princess, and opted for a beam PS rather than the vent PS. The beam doesn't seem that bad, and we'd prefer not to deal with what some say is a bothersome noise.

I also took some advice I have read, and asked for "no upgrade", as we absolutely don't want a PH suite underneath the pool deck, where I suspect there can be noise, particularly late night and very early morning cleaning and dragging of deck chairs, etc. The PH suites on Grand Class ships are fantastic, with a stepped out (perfect for sunning), and huge balcony on a lower deck with only staterooms overhead (i.e. quiet). Not so on Carib Princess.

The beam is big...but I would much rather be looking at the beam than the SNOWDRIFT blocking my office window right now;) :eek:

:D

You are correct... the beam is big and it's right in the way. The balcony is much smaller too. I tried to tell people I just had C749 on the Crown and the noise isn't that bad. Besides I'm pretty sure C751 can still hear the whooshing sound of the vent. I'd rather take the better balcony any day. And again I reiterate there was no odor of gargbage... maybe a little garlic, but no stench of garbage.

You are correct... the beam is big and it's right in the way. The balcony is much smaller too. I tried to tell people I just had C749 on the Crown and the noise isn't that bad. Besides I'm pretty sure C751 can still hear the whooshing sound of the vent. I'd rather take the better balcony any day. And again I reiterate there was no odor of gargbage... maybe a little garlic, but no stench of garbage.

To be precise, I believe that C751 on the Crown is a regular balcony, and so the beam is pretty intrusive, whereas C751 on the Caribbean Princess is a suite with double length balcony, and so the beam is more manageable.

How confusing this can get! (Someone please post if I am wrong on this ...)

We are in the aft balcony cabin on the Emerald Deck on the Grand Princess. A730. Will we have a beam. Has anyone had this cabin and can tell me about it? There will be 3 of us in it. Me and my 2 sisters. I know we will be cozy, but hoping the balcony is big enought for all of us!

To be precise, I believe that C751 on the Crown is a regular balcony, and so the beam is pretty intrusive, whereas C751 on the Caribbean Princess is a suite with double length balcony, and so the beam is more manageable.

The beam that I have posted pictures of is B751 and is on the Crown Princess and would be the same on the Emerald. In B751 and B750 on the Crown and Emerald the beam is very intrusive and prevents anyone from using the balcony the same as other BB balconies.

People are not being clear if they are talking about the Caribbean Princess or the Crown/Emerald Princess. Also there seems to be confusion between the "B" cabins and the "C" cabins.

sue

We're booked in VS D737 on the Emerald. From the looks of things we don't have to worry about a beam or vent! Less than 48 hrs. to go and I'll know for sure myself.

Actually we are in D736 oops! We do have a beam but we moved the table and chairs over near it. When we arrived, it was located where we had to walk around the table and chairs to the lounges from the living area door. Now we have more room since the table is next to the beam. Still plenty of room since there are only two of us and the balcony is opened up more. I'll post pictures when I return.

Well that is neither precise nor correct... C751 on the Crown is a premium suite. We checked out that balcony and it was much more cramped than our C749 balcony.

Sorry, I guess I confused every one even more.

Probably the Crown picture with the highly intrusive beam is the "regular" cabin on the end

The order is:

regular cabin w/ beam - suite w/ beam - suite w/ dreaded vent (748), suite w/ dreaded vent, suite w/ beam (751), regular cabin w/ beam

?

Actually we are in D736 oops! We do have a beam but we moved the table and chairs over near it. When we arrived, it was located where we had to walk around the table and chairs to the lounges from the living area door. Now we have more room since the table is next to the beam. Still plenty of room since there are only two of us and the balcony is opened up more. I'll post pictures when I return.

can't wait to see your pictures of D736 on the emerald!;)

• 1 month later...

I was on the Crown in December in A751 and never smelled anything. When I was out at sea I didn't really notice the vent noise. But you definitely do when in port. When I was talking on the phone, it was hard to hear. I actually had to go to the far end of the balcony and stick my head over to the owner's suite next door.

If given the choice I may go for the beam suite next time. But I wouldn't mind booking the vent room again either. It is large and secluded and we enjoyed it very much.

• 1 month later...
Sorry, I guess I confused every one even more.

Probably the Crown picture with the highly intrusive beam is the "regular" cabin on the end

The order is:

regular cabin w/ beam - suite w/ beam - suite w/ dreaded vent (748), suite w/ dreaded vent, suite w/ beam (751), regular cabin w/ beam

?

To clarify in response to a couple of questions - this would refer to the C cabins - C748, C751 ... etc. (Carib Princess and perhaps the sister ships.)

• 3 weeks later...

We just returned from the Crown Princess C750. I can tell you for a fact that C750 is a wonderful suite but it does have the dreaded beam. It is approx. 3" wide and is directly in front of the bedroom balcony door. It makes the table and chairs cramped. We mainly sat in the 2 chaise lounges. I have written Princess about this because they told me that it did not have a beam. I don't believe that C748 has the beam. I am not certain about the vent. Please email me @ cwbglb@gmail.com if you have more questions.:)

I just booked C748 on Carib. Princess, C750 and C751 are still available. What exactly is the dreaded vent that affects C748? Are there "beam" or "vent" issues with the other two staterooms? Looking at the pictures which have been kindly provided, I can't see any vents or beams on Caribe deck on the Carib. Princess. What am I missing?

http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b7d806b3127cce86e0f34e6d2000000036100AYsmzJq0ZsmNg

http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b7d806b3127cce86e0f33dec6300000035100AYsmzJq0ZsmNg

We had B749 last June on the Crown, it was awesome! The sound of the Wake was amazing, and you wouldn't hear a vent even it was there? Maybe when in port, but who's in the room then anyway? Don't let little things like this stop you, the rooms back there are great. I hope one day we can get another one.:cool:

It is extremely private, and great pics pulling into port too!

• 1 month later...