HAL-Never Again

njsonja

cands: I really hate your cruise history (because I wasn't able to do it!!). I've always said that Vegemite is the Aussie answer to American peanut butter, and neither side likes the other's very much. The only commonality seems to be "greasy"!! Now, before the US peanut butter afficiandos reply, let me just say that I grew up with the stuff, and remember the oily top of the jar/can, which you had to stir into the rest of it. Of course, along came Jif (many years later), which fixed the problem. I think. Spent two glorious weeks in Fiji, and Vegemite on toast was a regular breakfast side dish. The darling kitty who made her home in our bure loved it! We were always able to order a hamburger/cheeseburger, fries, grilled cheese, and bacon and eggs, but never a PB&J...which we never minded. As the only Americans there, we loved our Aussie and Kiwi friends, but had a bit of a problem during our return with customs at LAX, when our check-in bag arrived with one VEGEMITE sticker, one FIJI BITTERS sticker, and one obviously hand-made JIF sticker. Thanks so much, Neil, Andrew, and Laura! You know who you are, and everything is just fine in the land up over!

The mere thought of travelling without my Vegemite makes my knees tremble! Always, always take a jar with me. Vegemite on toast with a cup of tea at 2.00 am when you can't sleep is as good a tonic as you can find. Perhaps that's what our thread starter should have had.

I am coming to HAL for my first serious cruise in February (crossing Bass Strait overnight on the Empress of Australia in 1983 in a force 7 gale wasn't much like cruising, but I digress) and whilst die hard cruise fans may be upset by comments such as in the complaint, it provides a bracketing in a sense for someone with no real idea of what their in for, if you get my drift. That gives you the zero point, the others just feed your dreams of what this experience could be like.

I'm sure the Python boys could make a terrific sketch out of this lot. (goes away tapping coconut shells together).

My exchange students have always been sick at the sight (and smell) of peanut butter.

But what are the ingredients in Vegemite?

Hey there,

Sorry to not reply earlier. It's been night time here and I've been asleep:) .

Vegemite is a yeast extract! It has a savoury rather than sweet flavour.

Check out this link with including television jingle from the 1950s/60s.

http://ozbird.com/oz/OzCulture/oz_culture/vegemite/default.htm

Cheers,

Steve.

cands: I really hate your cruise history (because I wasn't able to do it!!). I've always said that Vegemite is the Aussie answer to American peanut butter, and neither side likes the other's very much. The only commonality seems to be "greasy"!! Now, before the US peanut butter afficiandos reply, let me just say that I grew up with the stuff, and remember the oily top of the jar/can, which you had to stir into the rest of it. Of course, along came Jif (many years later), which fixed the problem. I think. Spent two glorious weeks in Fiji, and Vegemite on toast was a regular breakfast side dish. The darling kitty who made her home in our bure loved it! We were always able to order a hamburger/cheeseburger, fries, grilled cheese, and bacon and eggs, but never a PB&J...which we never minded. As the only Americans there, we loved our Aussie and Kiwi friends, but had a bit of a problem during our return with customs at LAX, when our check-in bag arrived with one VEGEMITE sticker, one FIJI BITTERS sticker, and one obviously hand-made JIF sticker. Thanks so much, Neil, Andrew, and Laura! You know who you are, and everything is just fine in the land up over!

Hi there,

Thanks (I think) about the cruise history. It has been fun.

We do eat peanut butter here, it's more of a treat food whereas vegemite is a staple. Also, did you know you can keep a jar of vegemite opened, without refrigeration for years and years without it going 'off'.

(Our dear American friends may well say it's already off).

Now, as for Jif, your going to have to help me here, as in Australia Jif is a creme cleanser used for cleaning benchtops and stoves, etc!!!!

Steve.

While Marmite and Vegemite have their Kiwi and Aussie advocates, respectively, it's very hard to find a way to establish that this rather unique (!!??!!) breakfast spread has any relevance to the original topic. And it appears that the thread has permanently branched from the original topic. So it has been closed.

Archived