A question about this fuel surcharge....

alb1956

I have booked and PAID for two cabins on a cruise for April of next year aboard the Glory. So how do you think they will get that money?? Charge it to your sail and sign card when you board or do you think they will give you a choice of prepaying it?? I booked mine through Travelocity and haven't heard a word probably because it's not till next year! what does everybody think??

I just received my notice from Expedia today for a May cruise. Once they notify you, they give you a number to call to give them your credit card number to charge it.

If you don't pay, I'd imagine they'd either deny you boarding if you didn't give them a credit card at check-in, or put it on your S&S Card.

I have booked and PAID for two cabins on a cruise for April of next year aboard the Glory. So how do you think they will get that money?? Charge it to your sail and sign card when you board or do you think they will give you a choice of prepaying it?? I booked mine through Travelocity and haven't heard a word probably because it's not till next year! what does everybody think??

You will be billed for the difference. If you fail to pay the amount due you won't be provided with any travel documents, either via the mail or on line.

If you look at your booking on the Carnival web site I'm sure that you'll see the difference for the fuel surcharge there.

You will have to 'prepay' it. It's now part of the price of purchasing your cruise.

By the way, the forum guidelines prohibit us from mentioning any travel agency by name on these boards... ;)

You will be billed for the difference. If you fail to pay the amount due you won't be provided with any travel documents, either via the mail or on line.

If you look at your booking on the Carnival web site I'm sure that you'll see the difference for the fuel surcharge there.

You will have to 'prepay' it. It's now part of the price of purchasing your cruise.

By the way, the forum guidelines prohibit us from mentioning any travel agency by name on these boards... ;)

Host Mach.... Out of respect to your position, I think that despite the OP mentioning the agency they booked with, theye were not trying to solicit, but instead seeking to see if anyonelse using that company had been advised of the "fuel supplement". I think it was completely harmless and that perhaps just editing their post and omitting the agency name would have been more appropriate.

Host Mach.... Out of respect to your position, I think that despite the OP mentioning the agency they booked with, theye were not trying to solicit, but instead seeking to see if anyon else using that comopany had been advised of the "fuel supplement". I think it was completely harmless !

I agree completely that it was basically harmless but including the name of any agency or web site invites the possibility of comments, be they positive or negative, regarding that site that may or may not be valid. You've been around long enough to have seen how these threads tend to morph.

Live will be simpler for all of us if we just say: 'My on line agency hasn't notified me of any additional charges.' rather than enter into a discussion regarding a specific agency or site, no?

:)

I agree completely that it was basically harmless but including the name of any agency or web site invites the possibility of comments, be they positive or negative, regarding that site that may or may not be valid. You've been around long enough to have seen how these threads tend to morph.

Live will be simpler for all of us if we just say: 'My on line agency hasn't notified me of any additional charges.' rather than enter into a discussion regarding a specific agency or site, no?

I am going to throw up my hands and agree with you for the sake of not starting anything here....I just don't believe this would have "morphed" based on its context.

To the OP... I feel certain you will hear something in the future from the online agency you booked with... if not, why not contact them for verification ?

I think a lot of us want to know specifically if any one else has heard from the particular agency they booked with. I know Id like to know at least one other person who booked with the same agency i booked with and if they have heard. Saying I have not heard gets me nothing if 5 other people say they heard and I havent a clue who they booked with. Its non helpfull.

I dont want to call and if they forgot to add it, it would be like reminding them, maybe they will forget, so I dont plan on calling and asking my TA.

We are all curious.

Yes, I get it that its like advertising to say we booked with so and so, did anyone else.

I think a lot of us want to know specifically if any one else has heard from the particular agency they booked with. I know Id like to know at least one other person who booked with the same agency i booked with and if they have heard. Saying I have not heard gets me nothing if 5 other people say they heard and I havent a clue who they booked with. Its non helpfull.

I dont want to call and if they forgot to add it, it would be like reminding them, maybe they will forget, so I dont plan on calling and asking my TA.

We are all curious.

Yes, I get it that its like advertising to say we booked with so and so, did anyone else.

Sitting back and getting the popcorn on this one now ! THANKS ! :D

You will probably be billed for the difference, it has to be paid before you cruise. I can't believe they waited this long and still haven't advised you of it, but even more so, I'm super surprised you didn't see all of the threads on this very subject. That was one of the main upsets in the threads, that folks had to pay it even though they were paid in full. Did you check your credit card statement to see if they billed the additional charge? Have you gotten in touch with them to find out anything? If not, by all means do so, you won't get any docs or anything until it's paid.

Keep us posted.:)

I dont think they forgot, they probably dont want to tell you since you can still cancel without penalty.

If you go to that site now and try to book cruise are they adding on the FS?

I dont think they forgot, they probably dont want to tell you since you can still cancel without penalty.

If you go to that site now and try to book cruise are they adding on the FS?

The folks I booked thru are call only, so I cant pretend to book on any site nor can I check out my balance online or I would of course.

Technically, "they" (whoever you bought your cruise from) consider the fuel surcharge part of the total price of your cruise like port charges or taxes. Some (Carnival) include it in that number, others list it as a separate line item.

If one refused to pay port charges or taxes you better believe they would not consider the cruise paid in full. If one does not pay the fuel surcharge they do not consider the cruise paid in full either.

Travel agents are required to add it to existing bookings and recognize it in new bookings as part of the whole "port charges, taxes and fees" portion of the cruise fare.

There is a really good chance of someone's booking being canceled in much the same manner as if they had not paid enough by final payment for any other reason; maybe not right away. Carnival will often let bookings that have some money on them but not paid in full sit there, not canceled for a while, thinking somebody forgot as a courtesy to the guest.

They don't have to do that.

Make no mistake: "They" are fully within their rights to cancel the booking and sell the cabin to someone else anytime after final payment is due if the booking was not paid on time.

My experience has been that less than 1 in 10 people have had anything to say at all about it; they just pay it and move along. I think most everyone understands the price of oil is up and that, to be fair, they can only absorb just so much of the cost. While we may not have connected the dots, we should have seen this coming. Now that the dots are connected I have not heard from anyone who has been surprised.

Disgruntled, Disappointed, Mad? Yes

Surprised? No

Cancel booking? No

Think it could have been handled better? Yes, many times

Just got our final bill for an April cruise. Included was a note from Vicki Freed, Senior VP for sales, explaining the surcharge, etc.. Our $70.00 was itemized along with everything else to be paid by 1-29-08. I take it you paid the whole enchillada. Just guessing but I'll bet you get a bill prior to documents just like the Mach Host said.

Just got our final bill for an April cruise. Included was a note from Vicki Freed, Senior VP for sales, explaining the surcharge, etc.. Our $70.00 was itemized along with everything else to be paid by 1-29-08. I take it you paid the whole enchillada. Just guessing but I'll bet you get a bill prior to documents just like the Mach Host said.

If you did pay the full bill up front I think they should waive the fuel charge. Why?? Well you've given them money they get to play with whereas you could have held off and kept it in your own account. They could at least cut it in half. It'd be sort of a wash and a good PR move to boot. This would apply to any cruise line.

Thanks for letting me be like a barnacle on your post HaHa!

Nothing funnier then people complaining about Carnival violating their contract whilst violating the "contract" they agreed to when they signed up for this board. JMHO.

Archived