Can someone tell me about parking at Port of Miami?

themishmans

We are sailing 12/23 and we do not plan to arrive there until about 2 pm for a 4 pm departure. I really do not want to get there and find there are no parking spots. Does it ever fill up? How far is the walk to the Ship (NCL Dawn)? Is it better to drop luggage off first and then park (and can we even do that)? I have never cruised before (in my adult life) so I really know nothing. Any help will be appreciated.

Oh, if we need to get there earlier, we can. I just am not sure there is a reason to.

I think arriving at 2pm for a 4pm departure might be cutting it a little close. Remember you must be on board at least an hour before departure. If by chance the parking lot does happen to be full, which I doubt, you would need to find an alternative.

From NCL site:

Please be advised that on Embarkation Day, all guests must be onboard the ship no less than one hour from the ship's scheduled departure time.

In addition, in all ports of call, it is also the guest's responsibility to be back onboard the ship no less than one hour from the ship's scheduled departure time. Please be aware that shipboard time may differ from the port of call and it is the guest's responsibility to follow the shipboard time.

In the event a guest misses the ship, it will be the guest's responsibility to pay all expenses incurred to rejoin the ship. Expenses may be substantial and could include food, lodging, airfare, car rental and other fees not listed.

NOTE: As of January 1, 2008 all guests must be onboard the ship two hours prior to the ship's scheduled departure time.

PE

I would get there earlier. There could be 4 ships in port, which means about 12,000 passengers getting off and a equal amount getting on. I would get to the lot around 10am just when spots would be opening. Plus the biggest thing is you can have your first meal and drink by 1PM if you arrive earlier.:)

We are sailing 12/23 and we do not plan to arrive there until about 2 pm for a 4 pm departure. I really do not want to get there and find there are no parking spots. Does it ever fill up? How far is the walk to the Ship (NCL Dawn)? Is it better to drop luggage off first and then park (and can we even do that)? I have never cruised before (in my adult life) so I really know nothing. Any help will be appreciated.

Oh, if we need to get there earlier, we can. I just am not sure there is a reason to.

I read recently a post from someone who had parked at Miami for the Thanksgiving Day sailing. They had gotten there about 2 PM and had to park at a different terminal. The 12/23 sailing is also a holiday sailing, and the ships as well as the parking lots will probably be full by mid afternoon. I too, suggest you arrive late morning if you want less hassle with parking.

We just came back from a cruise out of Miami. Put the luggage tags on all of your bags before you arrive. When you pull up to curbside, the attendants will whisk your bags out of your vehicle, and you can then proceed to the parking garage which is a block away. It's a five minute walk from the terminal. The garage charges $20/day, cash only - prepaid...so be prepared for that.

When did the parking increase to $20/day for Miami?

I dunno...but we just paid $20 (their site confirms it). http://www.miamidade.gov/portofmiami/directions_parking.asp We parked in the covered garage a block from the terminal...perhaps there is additional parking further away which is less expensive. We didn't know...we just parked where they told us to.

You know, I read on other posts that they don't let you on before 12 pm at the earliest and then it is a lot of waiting around to get on. That's why I thought 2 pm would work. I guess, I'll plan to be there around noon then. Thanks for the advice.

I dunno...but we just paid $20 (their site confirms it). http://www.miamidade.gov/portofmiami/directions_parking.asp We parked in the covered garage a block from the terminal...perhaps there is additional parking further away which is less expensive. We didn't know...we just parked where they told us to.

There is nothing on that site about paying in advance.

What about handicapped parking?

I posted about our less than ideal parking situation in Miami when we sailed on the Pearl Thanksgiving cruise. We arrived at the port at 3 PM and had to park in a terminal that was very far away (the Pearl was a B , we had to park at G) ....there was NO shuttle ...we had to beg a bus driver who was taking people only to Carnival to please drop us off at the Pearl. We did not have to pay in advance and we paid with a credit card. For $20 a day you'd think there would be a shuttle! With the overcrowding I am thinking they raised the price to discourage people form parking there. Never again....its cheaper for me to take a taxi.

I posted about our less than ideal parking situation in Miami when we sailed on the Pearl Thanksgiving cruise. We arrived at the port at 3 PM and had to park in a terminal that was very far away (the Pearl was a B , we had to park at G) ....there was NO shuttle ...we had to beg a bus driver who was taking people only to Carnival to please drop us off at the Pearl. We did not have to pay in advance and we paid with a credit card. For $20 a day you'd think there would be a shuttle! With the overcrowding I am thinking they raised the price to discourage people form parking there. Never again....its cheaper for me to take a taxi.

What time was your departure? What time were you actually able to get on board?

Our departure was at 5 but we did read about having to be there at least 2 hours prior. I am not sur ewhat time they started boarding....but probably about 11 or so.

From NCL site.

Please be advised that on Embarkation Day, all guests must be onboard the ship no less than one hour from the ship's scheduled departure time.

In addition, in all ports of call, it is also the guest's responsibility to be back onboard the ship no less than one hour from the ship's scheduled departure time. Please be aware that shipboard time may differ from the port of call and it is the guest's responsibility to follow the shipboard time.

In the event a guest misses the ship, it will be the guest's responsibility to pay all expenses incurred to rejoin the ship. Expenses may be substantial and could include food, lodging, airfare, car rental and other fees not listed.

NOTE: As of January 1, 2008 all guests must be onboard the ship two hours prior to the ship's scheduled departure time.

There is nothing on that site about paying in advance.

What about handicapped parking?

There are two covered garages, one at each end. Then there are plenty of open parking spaces as well. My advice to anyone is get there sometime around noon and there will be ample parking available. The parking fee is $20 per day......however, if you have a disabled parking permit (from any state), you will park FREE OF CHARGE. Just hang your tag from the mirror and they will give you a form to fill out. I've done this on many occasions. Just for anyone's info, parking at ANY city operated facility in Miami, even at parking meters, parking is free if you have a handicapped tag. ;)

Be aware that using a handicap parking sticker not your own is a violation of Florida law. On a resent trip to the Port of Miami to pick up friends, I watched State Police officers confiscate the decals and ticket at least 6 folks.

Archived