Conceirge Class-- Our First Experience

NorCalCruiseGuy

We booked our first Concierge Class stateroom for our 11/11/07 sailing on Infinity. We were luck enough to maneuver to one of the aft-facing verandahs on deck 8. It was everything we had heard about and seen in the pictures courtesy of Cruise Critic. What a joy! The 10x20 verandah was spacious, and there were two lounge chairs, a small coffee table, a dining table and two dining chairs, with lots of room to spare.

I must say however, if it wasn’t for the extra-large aft-facing verandah, I’m not sure the Concierge Class amenities are worth the extra cost. Here is a rundown of the amenities—

· Fresh flowers on the desk and in the bathroom-- Nice, but we could have easily done without them

· Slightly larger stateroom—A few extra fee, but we did notice the difference. There was an extra lower cabinet at the desk, and a few shelves to the side of the desk for storage.

· Large golf umbrella- We used on it our verandah as it rained for part of our Panama Canal transit

· Binoculars—We took them on a couple of shore excursions and used them. They were adequate, but if you are a bird watcher, bring your own.

· Personalized stationary—We did use it to write a few notes to people on board, but plain stationary would have been ok

· Leather keycard holder—Didn’t really use it

· Complimentary bottle of sparkling wine—We drank a glass, but it wasn’t particularly good

· Fresh fruit bowl daily—this is one of the amenities we used and appreciated.

· Afternoon canapés or cheese plate—After the second day, we asked the stateroom attendant not to bother. The canapés were dry and not very good, and we had plenty to eat throughout the day in the restaurants

· Upgraded towels and bathmats- The towels are a bit better, but not a great deal different except they were different colors—green, pink, etc.

· Pillow menu—We were never offered the pillow menu, but we did request down pillows and got them

· Plush robes—The robes were nice, and we did use them, but not all that different from the waffle robes in the standard staterooms

· Upgraded toiletries—I’m not sure they are any different than the products in the dispensers in the standard staterooms, just in small bottles instead.

· Expanded room service menu-- This is one of the amenities that I had looked forward to the most, anticipating a nice breakfast on our verandah. Unfortunately I was much disappointed. The fruit smoothie I ordered one day had an off taste and not very appetizing. The French Toast Fingers with marmalade butter turned out to be one piece of French toast, cut into quarters, with a paper cup full of an unknown , watery substance served with it. The scrambled eggs with asparagus spears were a plate of scrambled eggs with pieces of asparagus in it. I had imagined a few nice, firm asparagus spears atop a creamy plate of eggs. Most of all, the hot entrees were barely warm and sometimes cold. After a few days, we either opted for the Cova Café and some fresh, hot almond croissants, or breakfast in the Oceanview Café. We ended up ordering coffee and pastries served in the stateroom a few mornings, but that was just about the same items available on the standard room service breakfast menu.

Fortunately, before we sailed, I watched the fares daily and was able to upgrade to the Concierge Class from a standard verandah stateroom for very little additional. Had we had to pay even a few hundred dollars more, I’m not sure I would have chosen Concierge Class, especially if we did not have the large aft-facing verandah. For future cruises, we would have to think seriously about whether we would choose Concierge Class again.

For the record, I agree 100%. It's mostly just hype. I had a suite with "butler" service and was trying hard to remember the things I was supposed to receive for that level of stateroom. One thing I specifically remembered was the fresh flowers--but there were none. When I asked the butler, he said those were only for royal suites and above--but that's not true according to the website. He did bring me some but the value couldn't possibly have been more than $5.00--more like branches of a flowering bush. The appetizers were worth even less. I think on balance a nice veranda stateroom and several hundred dollars more in my pocket would have been a better choice! However, if you have to pay the extra to get the big balcony, that might be worth the tradeoff.

Cathy

I also agree 100% with the OP about Conceirge Class. Granted the size of the room was bigger but we could have done without that. Next time we will go back to just a straight balcony.

marilyn

CC class is, IMO, mostly hype & not worth the extra $$. I do, however, like the additional 20 sq ft in cc class on the M class ships; we stayed in one b when they were cat 1A, B, & C. On C class ships, the rooms are all the same size.

Just came back from Constellation CC Class. We were lucky enough to get room 6144 next to suites. Balcony was very large & room seemed a little wider. We enjoyed the CC special breakfast. Both times we ordered breakfast it was hot & tastey. Fruit smoothie was fab. Our cabin steward had put crushed ice in it.Extra large balcony was a godsend in afternoons. Peace quiet & sunny.

Other than that CC is a long list of not very much. Thicker robes & towels xtra toiletries, headed notepaper (not sure who I was to write to) Flowers in room except last 2 days when they had wilted & were not replaced. Canapes we passed on as who needs more food!. Champagne was cheap sparkling wine. I would book ordinary balcony cabin & take flowers etc on board with you. Save $$$$ and treat yourself to a spa treatment or tour.

Just came back from Constellation CC Class. We were lucky enough to get room 6144 next to suites. Balcony was very large & room seemed a little wider. We enjoyed the CC special breakfast. Both times we ordered breakfast it was hot & tastey. Fruit smoothie was fab. Our cabin steward had put crushed ice in it.Extra large balcony was a godsend in afternoons. Peace quiet & sunny.

Other than that CC is a long list of not very much. Thicker robes & towels xtra toiletries, headed notepaper (not sure who I was to write to) Flowers in room except last 2 days when they had wilted & were not replaced. Canapes we passed on as who needs more food!. Champagne was cheap sparkling wine. I would book ordinary balcony cabin & take flowers etc on board with you. Save $$$$ and treat yourself to a spa treatment or tour.

Karen, we had 6144 on Connie in March of this year and loved it. I hope you had Menino as your SA – He was way above and beyond for us, made a great cruise even better.:D

I have to say we found the CC amenities well worth the extra $ 7.00pp per diem over a 2A stateroom. We had the same room (6143) on Infinity and Summit and then it was a 2A so room aside we still felt it was worth it. The Breakfast alone might have made it so, hot and great selection every time. Add in all the rest and the service we received plus you get an additional sailing credit added to your Capt. Club total so we are sold on it.:)

Joel

I thought CC, you also get priority boarding and escape. This would be of most interest, in order to avoid the stampede. any input?

In Ft. Lauderdale, there was a special line for Concierge Class. However, the line for Captians' Club was shorter, so we moved into that line and got on board before some of the folks who were in line for Concierge Class. I suppose it varies by what time you arrive at the port, and at which port you are embarking.

Disembarkation is another matter. In South America we found that all of the people on shore excursions were the first people let off the ship once it cleared customs. You have to ask, priority over what?

For $7 pp/day it MIGHT be worth it, but the pemium for Concierge Class varies widely by itinerary and time of year.

I think it's all in what you prefer and how much value you place on it. We are booked on a Jan. Millie in the same CC stateroom at about the same per diem so for us its worth it. I have found it's more when you book that effects the price as on our up comming cruise it's now $ 42.00pp per day so at that point I would say it's not worth it to us.

Archived