Spending Money

Kezzie81

Could anyone tell me what a suitable amount of spending money for a 7 night cruise would be? I realise this may vary from person to person but just trying to get an idea from experienced cruisers. We hope to do some kind of tour in Vila and we do enjoy a drink or too!

Hi Kezzie

if you are talking about "cash" spending money - on a very recent 7 day cruise , I spent hardly anything at all. We had a quick stop in Noumea - where I spend about $30 on a local tour mini-bus. I spent the same at Lifou -and I probably spent about $100 on souvenirs at Vila. The rest of my expenses I spent with VISA card on board - and also bought duty free with VISA card at Vila.

You can be tempted to spend a largish amount on grog onboard - not because it is particulalrly expensive (normal bar/hotel/restaurant prices) - but because you are on holiday!!:)

Barry

i went on with my brother last year and i spent 500 dollers in 10 nights but i brought photos and not a big drinker so umm yeah bout 400 ish to be on the safe side i think or but it on your credit card!! also when u go on keep tally of what u buy and get a recepit printed from perses desk and make sure only things u paid for are on it

We have been told to set aside $100.00 per day. That way you know that you will definately have enough money for any little luxuries you may wish to purchase on the ship (i.e. beverages and the sort) and off the ship (i.e. souveniers and shore tours). Hope this helps!:)

Thanks CC'ers for your replies we too were told about $100.00 per day but we wanted to make sure it would be enough we have been to resorts before where we have paid over the top prices for alcohol and we didnt want to get caught out again.

I've noticed a family resemblance too ;)

As for the original question - I usually allow around $100 per person per day. This covers all your drinks, photos, souvineres, shore tours, duty free etc :)

Some days you won't spend a cent and other days you might blow $300 in one go :D Well, I can anyway LOL!

Like others, we normally allow $100 per person per day for onboard expenses (including shore tours, souveniers, drinks, etc), then a bit extra for currency for the ports, extra tips etc. As Ms Minx says, some days you only by a few drinks, other days you might spend $200 on portraits from the photo shop.

And of course how much you spend on shore tours depends where you go and what you want to do.

Then we have an emergency stash just in case a decent Goddard comes up at the Art Auction.

Kym

Could anyone tell me what a suitable amount of spending money for a 7 night cruise would be? I realise this may vary from person to person but just trying to get an idea from experienced cruisers. We hope to do some kind of tour in Vila and we do enjoy a drink or too!

Hi Kezzie81

on our first cruise (and only so far but I'm working on that....:cool: ) we mowed through $1500 from memory. That included the cliffs of Jonkin in Lifou and a wine and cheese tour in Noumea and a 'pub crawl' tour in Vila. Embarkation photos only.

The drinks on board are very reasonably priced. As bazzaw said earlier the trap is that you have so much time to drink ! Yes, we "do enjoy a drink" too :p

cheers

ness

We've usually allowed about $100 per day after paying for the tours. I also always buy the embarkation photo and the photo they take when you disembark at an island and sometimes theme photos.

Kerri

I went on a 5 day american cruise with my daughter and came back with a credit. Not many cruises you can do that!!!

as my cruise went down in price i got OBC (which is the norm in the US). One tour which was a cabana rental was organised by someone i met on here, we shared it. I paid him in cash.

we bought a few photos and daughter had drink card and my few drinks.

Not the norm i know but was great for me

I agree, $100 a day each is good. I would also take a little bit extra, just in case you need the doctors as they are expensive or depending if you buy the photos. I like to bring enough money for spending money. Also depends how much you drink!

... or if you are going to play Bingo ... or buy a racehorse!:p

Hi Kezzie81

on our first cruise (and only so far but I'm working on that....:cool: ) we mowed through $1500 from memory. That included the cliffs of Jonkin in Lifou and a wine and cheese tour in Noumea and a 'pub crawl' tour in Vila. Embarkation photos only.

The drinks on board are very reasonably priced. As bazzaw said earlier the trap is that you have so much time to drink ! Yes, we "do enjoy a drink" too :p

cheers

ness

How did you enjoy the Pub Crawl in Vila?

Was it just beer served or did you have other drink options?

Thanks heaps :)

progress.gif

Archived