Tundra Wilderness or Natural History in Denali

cowtec

Luvtocruise.

We drove in to denali our first night there after dinner. It is 13 miles to the Savage River Campground. You will not likely see lots of animals, although we saw moose then and the next day in the first few miles. The next section to Toklat River, mile 53, was where we saw most bear and caribou. The Natural History tour would be better than none, or shuttle bus to Eielson if you can swing it. If you are not really in to wildlife that much, maybe it is too long. We did it two days in row, and it was a little long!!!!

We just returned from our trip and I have to say the Tundra Wilderness trip was well worth the upgrade. I had called Princess prior to our trip and was told I could not do it, but to check with the guide on the train. The train guide said I would need to check with tour desk upon arrival at Denali lodge. The tour desk told us we had to take the shuttle to the visitor center to see about it. Once at the visitor center, we were told we had to take a short hike to the Riley Creek Mercantile (I think that was the name) where we were able to secure the last 6 seats on the next morning's trip. Even with all the hassle, it was still FANTASTIC. We saw 12 grizzly bears, numerous caribou, dall sheep, and one moose, as well as various small mammals and birds. We had seen no wildlife by the time we reached the turnaround for the Natural History tour. The timing was really tight to make it back to the lodge in time for our transfer to the train to continue the trip, but we did make it. Our driver had assured us that she would take us to the train if the Princess bus left without us. Everyone there seems well aware of the schedules that the tourists are on and will do their best to accommodate them.

Budget Queen,

How far can cars be driven into the park? In your opinion, is that a good ieda ? I've done the short bus trip as well as the longer one. I know I would never do the longer one again. Too long... too many people crammed into that school bus..

It's between the short trip and driving the car in.

Do you have any suggestions?

BTW... How many times have you been to AK? Or did you once live there. Beautiful state for sure.. This will be my 5th trip.

Savage River and the farthest you can drive is about 15 miles. I assume you did the TOUR bus??? Frankly- I would never make the trip without going into the park and to Savage River just wouldn't be worth the trip nor the approx 12 hour round trip drive from Anchorage to get there. Only you can determine if it is worth it to you?? The shuttle to Eielson is my min. distance in before mid August- after I go to Wonder Lake. My 18th trip is in three weeks.

These boards and the people on them are the best! Thank you to everyone who answered questions here! We have booked our cruise for August 05 along with cruisetour 19S, which includes Fairbanks Princess, Denali Princess, McKinley Princess, and Kenai Princess. It sound like we will love Kenai! When we booked, our TA upgraded us to the Tundra Wilderness Tour, however it looks as if we will be on the afternoon tour as the train doesn't get into Denali until noon. How are the wildlife sightings in the evening? I know we will have more questions as it gets closer to departure time!

Sue

Since you ask- wildlife sightings are historically much better in the am. Understand also that the Kenai Princess is prime for fishing ONLY, little else in my opinion. Rafting is OK, but the highpoint in this area is Seward- but you are 40 miles away and I would not stay here if Seward activities were my preference. Just my opinion only- choose carefully.

Thanks BudgetQueen - your insights are always so helpful!!! Fortunately DH is a fisherman while I think I may want to check out the Kenai Fjords cruise. This should be an interesting stop! Hope we made the right choice!

Sue

Budget Queen,

Thanks..I did do both tours before, but am not familiar with Eielson. Can you please tell me what or where this is. And where would we get this shuttle to Eielson? How long of a trip is this?

I think we'll drive in to Savage and then do the short tour. (Natural History)..

I would love to go out to Wonder Lake, maybe next time. When I was there 2 years ago, (end of May) the road out there was not yet open for the season.

Thanks again... Just trying to fit the most in with what little time we have in Denali.

Luvtocruise.

We drove in to denali our first night there after dinner. It is 13 miles to the Savage River Campground. You will not likely see lots of animals, although we saw moose then and the next day in the first few miles. The next section to Toklat River, mile 53, was where we saw most bear and caribou. The Natural History tour would be better than none, or shuttle bus to Eielson if you can swing it. If you are not really in to wildlife that much, maybe it is too long. We did it two days in row, and it was a little long!!!!

Thanks, John..

Oh yes, I am really into wildlife and just hope that my grandkids will get to see some. Unfortunately, we only have one night there, so we want to make the best of it.

Budget Queen,

Thanks..I did do both tours before, but am not familiar with Eielson. Can you please tell me what or where this is. And where would we get this shuttle to Eielson? How long of a trip is this?

I think we'll drive in to Savage and then do the short tour. (Natural History)..

I would love to go out to Wonder Lake, maybe next time. When I was there 2 years ago, (end of May) the road out there was not yet open for the season.

Thanks again... Just trying to fit the most in with what little time we have in Denali.

For clairfication- YOU DO NOT want to drive to Savage River AND TAKE the Natural History tour- the bus goes the same distance 16 miles and returns- just like the drive. The park also offer a FREE shuttle to the same area. You need to call and see what is available for Eielson SHUTTLES- at least 8 hours however. Wonder Lake is not available until June 8 every year. These are the programs I was referring to .

http://www.nps.gov/dena/home/visitorinfo/programs/rangerpro/2004programs.html#pro

For clairfication- YOU DO NOT want to drive to Savage River AND TAKE the Natural History tour- the bus goes the same distance 16 miles and returns- just like the drive. The park also offer a FREE shuttle to the same area. You need to call and see what is available for Eielson SHUTTLES- at least 8 hours however. Wonder Lake is not available until June 8 every year. These are the programs I was referring to .

http://www.nps.gov/dena/home/visitorinfo/programs/rangerpro/2004programs.html#pro

Thanks again for all your help...

Have you got your cruise tour booked? We are going in July or August 2005 and have talked with three or four travel agents and they all tell us they can't get 2005 pricing yet for Alaska. This seems strange to us and wondering if others have already booked their trip. If you have booked, let me know how long ago. Think we will go on Princess also, so may be on your same ship. It's a lot of fun planning!!

We leave August 9, 2005 for the Kenai Wilderness cruisetour and the August 15 Sbound sailing on the Dawn Princess. We made our reservations several weeks ago - even made sure we had an upgrade to the Tundra Wilderness Tour. The TA we used for the last cruise said he couldn't do anything for us because the brochures weren't out yet, but I did some Internet searching and was able to get quotes and booking. The information is out there, it just takes a bit of research. Good luck!

Sue

Thanks for the information, Sue. I am calling our TA again today and see what she says. Doesn't make sense that they can't get pricing. If we get on the same ship, will let you know. We are open to first of July and August, so not for sure when we will go. I noticed you had sailed Dawn Princess before. I assume you were pleased with the ship or you wouldn't be going again? We haven't sailed on Princess, so unfamiliar with their ships. Carol

Hi Carol! We loved the Dawn - just the right size for us. We just had friends return from their own Alaska trip on the Dawn and they had a blast. We never felt crowded onboard, the staff was wonderful, the ship itself is beautiful, and the food was great. Because it is a couple hundred dollars cheaper for the two of us than the Coral or Island, I figured we could spend that money on one of the flight excursions or attempt the dogsledding. I still haven't seen a brochure although they are showing as available on the Princess website and I have ordered one (or two). I would love to have someone on the same cruise so that we can be excited together for the next 11 months and 30 days - but who's counting???

Sue

Archived