Lone Cruiser/New Celebrity Cruiser Questions

HowardB

I am thinking of going on the October 18 sailing on the Galaxy out of Baltimore. This would be my second cruise ever (first was on a Windstar transatlantic trip) and my first by myself. I have a few questions:

Is it relatively easy to meet and talk to people? I would just be looking for some "chat" time.

I am not interested in dressing up for dinner - business casual (khakis/button down shirt) would be the max. dress-up for me. Is there an alternative resturant on the Galaxy where one does not have to dress up on formal nights?

How are lines for port calls/restaurants, etc? Does the ship feel crowded? On my fist cruise, there were only 83 passengers, so I have a hard time digesting that there would be maybe 1,500 plus on here. This is a respositioning cruise from Baltimore to San Juan. Is the ship liley to be full?

Thanks!!

Hi Howard:) I will be sailing solo on Saturday:D for the 5th time in a row....can you tell I like it that way?;)

Anyway...I have not been on the Galaxy but have sailed both the CENTURY and MERCURY( sister ships).

Now, I have never been on "the luxury lines" so really cannot give you a comparison. But I love Celebrity!!!

For me, it is very easy to meet people...I always request a large table for dinner and also participate in some of the On Board Activities...I love Trivia...they always have that during the day. And my personality is more in the "extrovert" category...so its just very easy for me to talk to people.

I will sit at one of the bars...read a book, have a drink....speak to the bartender....and usually others are around as well! Its easy to "talk cruising"!!

I don't believe the Galaxy has "a specialty restaurant"...those are only the M-Class Ships.

I know on the Century they have an "alternative dining area" ....maybe someone who has been on Galaxy can give you more information on this question.

Oh, I do know ALOT of people who are on your cruise! I just noticed when you were sailing....You might want to check out the "ROLL CALL"....there are some friends of mine on it! Bob and Phyllis (we have met in person thanks to these boards) are going.....pop over there and say hi...I know they will help you with any questions you may have!!!:) Wish I could have joined them too!

I am trying HAL for the first time....hoping I have a good week as well!

Yes, there is alternative casual dining - it does require reservations and there is a $2 charge (covers tip). However, the evening dress is required (according to the daily) in all other areas of the ship. On some Celebrity cruises, I have seen people not admitted to the show if they were not in the evening dress. On others, they were. Formal night is tux or suit, informal is slacks,shirt, and jacket with or without tie (depending on your source for info - our daily did not specify tie, Celebrity's website did), and casual is collared shirt and docker type pants.

The restaurant has assigned tables and seating - so there is no line unless you arrive before the doors open. There is open seating in the restaurant for breakfast and lunch - never found a line. The buffet for lunch or breakfast may have a line depending on when you arrive. We have found that most Celebrity passengers are very friendly. Having assigned seating and requesting a large table gives you a chance to meet other passengers and get to know them. We still correspond with a few of them years later. With open seating for breakfast and lunch, you get to meet other passengers.

The only time there will be a line for ports is right after the ship is cleared for the port and everyone tries to get off. If you wait a bit, you can walk right off. If the ship tenders, there are numbers given out for those wanting to go ashore. Ship tours and elite captains club and, I believe, suites are given priority. If you wait a while, you usually can get on the next tender.

We have never felt crowded on a Celebrity ship - even when the ship was at completely full capacity. There are plenty of nooks where you can find quiet time.

Thank you for your responses. I think the idea of a large table is a good one - the more people at the table the better chance of hitting it off with some. Since yesterday I have read some reviews of trips on the Galaxy, and by and large they are positive.

I am glad to read that there is a casual restaurant that I can go to without dressing up.

But, if you do that, Howard, realize that you will be missing out on a great part of the X cruising experience! I never get you guys who just won't put on a suit to go to dinner. If you were like us women and had to put on panty hose, and underwire bras and 'shapers', then cram your feet into heels and put on a dress you can hardly sit in like most of us, I might have sympathy, but come on, it's cotton underwear, pants, a shirt, a jacket and OMG! a tie! Plus the fact, if you guys get an itch, you get to scratch it and the only consequence is a poke in the ribs if your SO sees you do it! So, Howard, how about biting the bullet and going to a formal night? I'll bet you have fun! And they really do serve the best foods those nights (which won't be the same food served at the other restaurant)! Be sure and ask for a large table with SINGLES! That way you may get a few at your table. :)

Too bad you're not going on the 10/31 Horizon. We have a BUNCH of singles going!

Archived