RCCL is moving from Miami!!!

We just read where RCCL will be moving out of the port of Miami to Port Canaveral. This was just announced by our local TV / radio travel guru - Clark Howard. Below you will find the article - what a surprise!!!! Although I won't miss going through the Miami Airport....but getting to the Port from Orlando isn't a joy either.+

Royal Caribbean Cruise Line is packing up ship and movin' out. Out of Miami, that is. The line will move its operations to Port Canaveral, east of Orlando and the deal will make the port the largest in the world. RCCL alone is guaranteeing 17 million passengers will pass through the port over the next decade. Royal Caribbean's two newest ships currently under construction in Finland, part of the Genesis class, will each carry up to 6,400 passengers and 2,000 crews members on weekly Caribbean voyages staring in mid-2009. The largest cruise ship that now docks at Port Everglades carries 3,100 passengers, while the world's current largest, Royal Caribbean's Freedom of the Seas, holds 4,300. The line will renovate one of the port's terminals at a cost of $38 million. Passengers will partly foot the bill with a $5.70 passenger departure/arrival surcharge, in addition to a $9.95 port user charge per passenger

We just read where RCCL will be moving out of the port of Miami to Port Canaveral. This was just announced by our local TV / radio travel guru - Clark Howard. Below you will find the article - what a surprise!!!! Although I won't miss going through the Miami Airport....but getting to the Port from Orlando isn't a joy either.+

Royal Caribbean Cruise Line is packing up ship and movin' out. Out of Miami, that is. The line will move its operations to Port Canaveral, east of Orlando and the deal will make the port the largest in the world. RCCL alone is guaranteeing 17 million passengers will pass through the port over the next decade. Royal Caribbean's two newest ships currently under construction in Finland, part of the Genesis class, will each carry up to 6,400 passengers and 2,000 crews members on weekly Caribbean voyages staring in mid-2009. The largest cruise ship that now docks at Port Everglades carries 3,100 passengers, while the world's current largest, Royal Caribbean's Freedom of the Seas, holds 4,300. The line will renovate one of the port's terminals at a cost of $38 million. Passengers will partly foot the bill with a $5.70 passenger departure/arrival surcharge, in addition to a $9.95 port user charge per passenger

You're kidding right???? You mean there will be NO RCCL ships sailing out of Miami???

RCCL is not going anywhere. Their corporate offices are in Miami, and that will not change. They have signed a deal to homeport the 2 Genesis-class ships in Port Everglades (Ft. Lauderdale), not Port Canaveral. That is all they have done.

This was in today's Miami Herald, so I'm very confused:

Royal Caribbean's two Genesis Project mega-ships -- expected to be the largest in the world -- will be based at Port Everglades. The Broward County Commission on Tuesday approved a passenger cruise terminal and berth user agreement with Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd., that allows for an expansion of Terminal 18 for the ships. The estimated cost for the terminal upgrades is $37.4 million. The construction is expected to create 858 jobs.

When completed in 2009 and 2010, the ships will carry 5,616 passengers and 2,100 crew.

The additional cruise travel generated by the vessels would create an estimated 3,844 jobs for Fort Lauderdale area residents and about $515.5 million in business revenue and local purchases, according to an economic impact study conducted by Martin Associates, a transportation and economic consulting firm in Lancaster, Pa.

Somehow I would believe the Miami Herald before I would believe the Clark Howard Show. It would be HEADLINE NEWS over here! The jobs that would be lost of headquarters moved:eek: No way is this true. What's true is what is stated in the Herald. After all. Clark Howard got it also wrong when it said the two new mega ships would be in Port Canaveral. It's Port Everglades!

If Clark Howard is a local TV travel guru, the folks in the Miami TV region are in dire straits. Sounds like Clark could use a remedial geography course so that he can learn the difference between Port Everglades (Ft. Lauderdale) and Port Canaveral and he might also want to learn that there is a significant difference between RCI basing its two Genesis ships in Port Everglades and moving the company "lock, stock, and barrel" out of Miami to Port Canaveral or Port Everglades. If the quoted account is typical of the information he provides, it doesn't speak very highly of his knowledge or expertise. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:Wanna bet that Clark, if he was quoted accurately in the post, will be clarifying or correcting his remarks in the near future?:D

Very interesting.

I have an upcoming cruise on Brilliance in April & have not got my airline tickets into Miami yet. Wonder if I will still be sailing out of Miami, or Port Canaveral or Port Everglades?

Guess I'll get on the phone and see if the RCCL res agents know anything about it......:rolleyes:

Unless Clark's misinformation has created a significant surge in inquiries, the RCI customer service representatives probably won't have a clue why you are asking. I think you can comfortably expect that you will be sailing out of Miami as scheduled. :)

Mega ships to call Port Everglades home

THE MIAMI HERALD ADVERTISEMENT

Royal Caribbean's two Genesis Project mega-ships -- expected to be the largest in the world -- will be based at Port Everglades.

The Broward County Commission on Tuesday approved a passenger cruise terminal and berth user agreement with Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd., that allows for an expansion of Terminal 18 for the ships. The estimated cost for the terminal upgrades is $37.4 million. The construction is expected to create 858 jobs.

When completed in 2009 and 2010, the ships will carry 5,616 passengers and 2,100 crew.

The additional cruise travel generated by the vessels would create an estimated 3,844 jobs for Fort Lauderdale area residents and about $515.5 million in business revenue and local purchases, according to an economic impact study conducted by Martin Associates, a transportation and economic consulting firm in Lancaster, Pa.

Archived