Need Help - Possible Death in Family

///M3_99

I am booked to leave Saturday 12/8 on the sailing of the Inspiration. I have purchased cruise insurance. My mother-in-law is under Hospice care and we are fearful that she may pass away before or during our cruise. We are driving to Tampa on Friday evening.

What are our best options in our situation? Should we obtain a doctor's written explanation and attempt to reschedule or continue with plans and risk having to fly back early during the cruise.

Does anyone have experience with this type of situation?

Wow thats a tough one............have you talked to the hospice people to see what they think? i think like anything else that this is a personal choice that you need to make...........i think trying to get home after the fact would be way to stressful...either way god bless hope for the best...

I'm so sorry.

You'll be miserable if you go. I'd try to cancel and rebook. Call CCL and see what they'll do for you (if you booked through them) or call your TA if you booked through a TA.

I'm so sorry. Good luck to you and my thoughts are with your family. :(

My Dad who is 89 fell during my last cruise and I couldnt get home fast enough. It kinda ruined the rest of my cruise. If you are a worrier like me, you would not enjoy the cruise as much.

On the other hand, folks can last a long time under Hospice, only you know how dire things are.

Unfortunately I went though this very thing last year on our Legend cruise. Right before boarding we were told my Mom was ill but they were hopeful she would be OK. My Mother who loved cruising and had gone with us on cruises before wanted us to continue with our trip.

Needless to say I was useless on the cruise. I could not enjoy it at all spent most of the time in the cabin making calls on my cell phone back to home. It was just an awful time.

5 days into our 8 day cruise we got the call saying my Mother had passed away. We flew home from Belize the next morning We did not have insurance and learned a valuable lesson there as the tickets were very expensive.

If you and your husband feel you can go worry free then go ahead and go. But be prepared should it happen to make all arrangements for getting off the ship and flying home yourself the cruise line does not assist with this.

But if you are not going to be able to relax and enjoy like I was unable to do then I say cash in the insurance and rebook the cruise for a later date. I wish I had.....:mad:

I have purchased cruise insurance

Call your insurance company now. They will give you the best information. I made the mistake of not doing this. Then, they refused the claim. I fought for 6 months and eventually got paid.

Not worth the aggrivation.

Sorry for your family situation.

I would probably stay home. I wouldn't want to be away if something happened to my mother. And I certainly would be upset with my husband if he insisted we go, knowing she could die while I was away.

I think it depends on her condition. We did cruise while my father was undergoing treatment for cancer. But only after the doctor swore to me, that it was unlikely he would pass away while I was away on my cruise. I have to say tho, I was a wreck the whole time. I spent lots of time on the phone. But my children had a very enjoyable time and that is why we went. Had it only been myself and my husband, I would have never gone. But my kids were so looking forward to it and my dad insisted we go.

Thanks for everyone's support. My DH contacted our CCL insurance, and found that we have until later in the week to make our final decision.

With proper documentation from her doctor, we would be reimbursed for

the return trip costs if it happens while cruising. The pro-rated remainder of the cruise fare would be reimbursed by Carnival. Now, we must decide whether to cancel or wait and see.

my prayers and thoughts are with your family. If it was me and I was your MIL I would want you to go and have the time of your life. I'm sure you have said the things that needed to be said.

On the other hand if it was my mom I know she would insist we go but I don't know that I could.

Please keep us informed.

I wil give you all a heads up of how the airlines work. If you have a loved one, however, it has to be a mother/father, sibling (not step), or a grandparent who passes they have a special fare plan where you can get partial reimursement because if the unforseen circumstance. The rule with this is you MUST provide a death certificate to get the reimbursed.

ALL airlines have some compassion and will help you as much as possible in times where there is a death in the family and you need to get to where they live ASAP. They want to make money, so they will give you some money back when you prove you had a death in the family. I suggest you call the airlines in your area and see what their policy is if you do think you might have to fly back.

Tell your MIL to hang around long enough to see what you got for her and the pictures!!!!!

I'm sorry to hear of the impending loss. My mom was fighting cancer and died while my wife and I were in Hawaii on our Honeymoon. We flew home early and the airline did not charge us. I had a good time but it was tough knowing she was going to die while we were gone. She insisted we go anyway and being a good son I listened to her.

The up side is my very last memories of my mom were happy ones of her dancing and having a great time at our wedding. My family's last memories are of that and watching her die.

If you can - reschedule it juts so you can be with her.

Hi M3,

Having worked as a hospice nurse, I'd suggest you talk with your m-i-l's hospice nurses tomorrow for some guidance about your m-i-l's condition explaining that you have an upcoming cruise planned this weekend.

Next, I'd encourage you to take your lead from your husband to decide what he is comfortable doing during such a trying time. If he has any hesitation about going on the trip, it's fortunate that you have insurance and can reschedule your trip for another time.

Whatever you decide, kindest regards are sent to you and your family.

If you do not have a passport I think flying into the US might be difficult

RogerandChris make a good point. If you don't have a valid passport getting back to the US might be a problem in the event you do travel and she passes away while you are gone.

Thanks for calling your insurance. I wish I had. Would have saved a lot of aggravation.

Best wishes.

I am so sorry and my thoughts and prayers are with you. Having aging parents myself I have struggled with this each year. I have also gotten the emergency phone call on a cruise when a young friend had passed away. There is nothing more exhausting and frustrating then trying to get home from a dream vacation for a crisis. Given the choice I think I would delay the trip if possible given the financial repurcussions but sometimes you just cant predict lifes events.

If you and your husband feel you can go worry free then go ahead and go. But be prepared should it happen to make all arrangements for getting off the ship and flying home yourself the cruise line does not assist with this.

Actually, our experience was just the opposite of this. FIL passed away while we were on a cruise, and we got the news at sea. I contacted the Purser's Desk and they were wonderful. They contacted the port agent who then contacted us. They set up the flight home for 5 of us, met us at the pier to expedite our going through customs, and arranged transportation to the airport for us. This was in Jamaica and we had to get clear to Montego Bay airport to catch a flight. They couldn't have been more wonderful. We did have the travel insurance and it covered everything. Not a fun trip home for sure, but Carnival sure helped us out.

Our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

Actually, our experience was just the opposite of this. FIL passed away while we were on a cruise, and we got the news at sea. I contacted the Purser's Desk and they were wonderful. They contacted the port agent who then contacted us. They set up the flight home for 5 of us, met us at the pier to expedite our going through customs, and arranged transportation to the airport for us. This was in Jamaica and we had to get clear to Montego Bay airport to catch a flight. They couldn't have been more wonderful. We did have the travel insurance and it covered everything. Not a fun trip home for sure, but Carnival sure helped us out.

That's comforting to know. I'm glad the cruise line helped you out like that.

Did you have insurance with Carnival?

my thoughts and prayers are with you and yours. i booked my first cruise for mom and i, she had surgery, 3 strokes and wound up on ventilator, so couldn't go. nearest facility for vents 200 miles away. everything was fine, i did get ins just in case. she was not expected to die, but live......1 week and two days after my return (yes i went by myself, okay time just sad she wasn't there) she passed, 12/23/02. but the vacation though not really fun gave me the time to wind down, and i was able to do what needed to be done. i would check with doctor, and hospice, i have found that hospice can give real close estimate to you based on how she is. but then again no one has a guarantee. sorry t:(

Wow...your post brings back recent memories. We were scheduled to go on a Mediterranean cruise and it was a CC group cruise where I was the group leader. My MIL was diagnosed with cancer long after the cruise was booked and ended up hospitalized and on hospice for several months prior to the cruise. It was touch and go up until the last minute.

The decision was ultimately up to my husband and we decided to wait until the last possible moment to determine what to do. We had insurance but we also knew that from a time standpoint, flying home from Europe would probably NOT be something we would try to do. She died 4 days before we left for Rome.

I say all that only to emphasize that it was a VERY difficult cruise for us and in hindsight, if I had to do it over, I would not have gone at all. We should have cancelled long before the cruise date. We always knew she would have wanted us to go. People told us to go and have a good time (like many of these posts). That's really easier said than done. Even though she was gone, it was still hard. I know we would definately would not have had an enjoyable trip if she had still been here.

I'm so sorry for your family. It's such a hard time and such a hard decision but one that only you and your spouse can make.

I am booked to leave Saturday 12/8 on the sailing of the Inspiration. I have purchased cruise insurance. My mother-in-law is under Hospice care and we are fearful that she may pass away before or during our cruise. We are driving to Tampa on Friday evening.

What are our best options in our situation? Should we obtain a doctor's written explanation and attempt to reschedule or continue with plans and risk having to fly back early during the cruise.

Does anyone have experience with this type of situation?

I would definitely postpone cruise, if it is so close that a loved one may pass away then you will not enjoy cruise as all you do is wait for that call.

Even if it is months before anything happens it can be tormorrow. You really don't want to be flying home from a far away destination. I have NO family but my husbands family means every thing to me and I would never ask him to go if there are problems that may arise. Insurance means nothing if you can't be there when most needed. Cindy

M3, My husband and I are going thru the exact same thing. I saw your post and truly understand what you are going thru. My FIL has been in hospice for 2 weeks and is not doing well. We are scheduled to fly out on Thursday for 2 crusies. We have had this planned for a long time and do not know what we are going to do. We have no insurance for these cruises. We too are fearful he will pass any day, they told us 3 weeks ago he had 24-48 hours, but they were wrong, they just don't know for sure how long it could be.

I was in the hospital myself for heart problems 3 weeks ago and we thought then we would not be able to go, but I am doing really well and the doctor said I could go, then 4 days later his dad takes a bad turn for the worse.

I feel your agony.

Did you have insurance with Carnival?

Thinking back, I don't think the insurance was through Carnival. They had a travel agent they always booked through and they offered their own insurance. I was brand new in the family at the time and had nothing to do with the planning. I was very glad I was along though as the five of us included DH, his mom, and his brother and wife. They were in no shape to make any arrangements or deal with anything. Now dealing with Air Jamaica at the airport was another story!:eek: My travel biz experience served us well! I might add, that FIL's passing was totally unexpected. He was fine when we left.

Indeed, Carnival's compassion and help was a definite God send when we needed it.

Archived