Quilt Shops in Alaska

e095521

Michele and I just walked out of the Silver Thimble....it is wonderful! We saved some fabric for the rest of you ;)

Lots of Alaska motif fabric!!! Lots of Christmas prints....and great prices. Across from the fabric store is a bead store. Then down the hall is the Internet cafe. Its a dangerous area for us fabric-holics.

I'll try to report on Juneau fabric stores tomorrow :)

Lisa

Hi. I went to the Rushin' Taylor in Skagway last August. It was a very nice shop and the service was excellent in spite of a fairly big crowd. The shop is not as big as the shops I've been to in the midwest, but the selection of fabrics and patterns were nice, and the prices were right in line with what I'd find when there wasn't a sale going on at home. I got a great packet of fats with moose and other Alaskan-type themes and made my husband a wall hanging the month after we returned. I also bought several pieces of batik fabric with Alaskan themes for myself and my quilting mentor. The packaged patterns I bought were all by Alaskan artists. I'm sorry to say (and a little embarrassed) that I haven't used those yet. I only quilt when I can't be out in my gardens, but did get 5 other quilts done after the wall hanging as gifts for family members.

I'd like to check out the other Alaskan shops listed next time we go back.

Shae

Raintree Landing is terrific! Still prefer fabric store in Ketchikan but the store in Juneau is very goodl. We took the city bus and got out to the store in no time at all. Its near the airport. Lots of interesting fabrics with Alaskan motifs. But even more Christmas fabrics (I'm adoring these) and some designers I'm not familiar with.

Michele and I are really enjoying the patterns available up here.

Tomorrow we will be in Skagway but sadly, we do not know how many fabric stores we will be able to visit as our shore excursions take up most of the day and we so want to visit Dirce Ann's :::sigh:::

The fabric sightseeing is a highlight of our trip...what a great thread this has been.

Lisa

Lisa - thanks for the reviews....you're making it even harder to wait....!! Princess should add a fabric shop shore excursion to the list....it would fill rapidly I'll bet! Can't wait....hey, we could have a cruise ship quilt challenge..or round robin...would be a way to use up some of the fabric we're all bringing home!!

Linda

Today, I was only able to visit two stores :::big sigh::

Rusin' Tailor - amazing Asian prints and of course, Alaskan prints. I bought an adorable Alaskan animal motif print with the animals wearing Christmas themed scarves, hats, etc. Too adorable.

I quickly went to Changing Tides - needlearts and quilting fabric. Very nice also but I had to rush through the store.

Dirce Ann's - I would have loved to get to this store but I took the rail/bus trip to White Pass (amazing tour BTW if you can drag yourself away from fabric sightseeing) and couldn't make it to the store before its 5pm closing ::sniff:: The store is located at almost the far end of the main street.

The other two stores close around 5:30/6pm.

Sadly, I ruined someone's entire cruise. What did I do....merely mention that I took this trip yesterday to a fabric store. The look on her face was priceless - fabric? she replied. We all know that feeling....her husband quickly piped in that the store has now gone out of business, closed, and no longer has fabric available. I quickly went to my room and gave her the information about the Skagway fabric stores....one was to support fellow fabric-holics in these times of need ;)

This has been a fabulous thread and I thank all of you for your input and hope that my reviews have helped you in return.

We're heading now to Anchorage and I won't have time to check out fabric stores....can you imagine....a few days without fabric stores.

Lisa

While I don't quilt, I fould a really neat quilt shop right behind Sophie Station in Fairbanks. Their fabric and patterns were beautiful and its a shop not to be missed. Don't remember the name of the shop but its in a very small strip mall. There was a garden shop next to it that had many nice gift items available.

Archived