I did something about the fuel surcharge

kf4zra

I am one who will cancel or take business elsewhere when I think I been

done wrong, or bad customer service.

But the fact is fuel is not cheap.

The other fact is most other lines are doing the same.

The fact which OP pointed out was, that the have the legal right to do so.

I don't think I will be canceling my cruise for the $70.00 charge.

This will not stop us from cruising. It will just be with another cruiseline.:)

Will the cruiseline suffer? Absolutely not. Will I feel better about my choices? Absolutely!

You are acting like Carnival is the only cruise line that is doing this, and it is not. I have future cruises booked with Carnival and Royal Caribbean. Both booked around April 2007. Both fully paid for before any fuel charges were announced. Both cruise lines have hit me with the fuel supplement.

But the fact is fuel is not cheap.

The other fact is most other lines are doing the same.

Here is the rundown

Additional Fuel Supplement

Due to rapidly escalating fuel prices, the following Cruise Lines have implemented a fuel supplement charge that is an additional amount that will be added to your cruise booking.

The fuel supplement is necessitated by significant rises in fuel prices which have dramatically increased the Cruise Lines operating costs.

Implementing this fuel supplement was a difficult decision for the cruise lines and they hope that their guests will understand that this is a necessary step in today’s challenging economic environment

Carnival - $5 pp/per day for the 1st and 2nd passenger not to exceed $70 per person effective for reservations sailing on or after Feb. 1 2008

Costa - $5 pp/per day for the 1st and 2nd passenger not to exceed $70 per person effective for reservations sailing on or after Feb. 1 2008

Cunard - $5 pp/per day for the 1st and 2nd passenger not to exceed $70 per person effective for reservations sailing on or after Feb. 1 2008

Holland - $5 pp/per day for the 1st and 2nd passenger not to exceed $70 per person effective for reservations sailing on or after Feb. 1 2008

Princess - $5 pp/per day for the 1st and 2nd passenger not to exceed $70 per person effective for reservations sailing on or after Feb. 1 2008

Celebrity - $5 pp/per day for the 1st and 2nd passenger not to exceed $70 per person effective for reservations sailing on or after Feb. 1 2008

RCCL- $5 pp/per day for the 1st and 2nd passenger not to exceed $70 per person effective for reservations sailing on or after Feb. 1 2008

Azamara - $ 5 pp/per day for the 1st and 2nd passenger not to exceed $70 per person effective for reservations sailing on or after Feb. 1 2008

NCL - $7 pp/per day for the 1st and 2nd passenger. $3 pp/per day for the 3rd and 4th. Effective for any bookings made on or after December 1st

MSC Cruises -$6 pp/per day for the 1st and 2nd passenger for new bookings made December 1, 2007 and onwards and will be applicable only on cruise departures after February 1, 2008.

Regent - $7.50 pp/per day for the 1st and 2nd passengers. Any reservation not paid by Dec. 1st will be charged. Any reservations made on or after Dec 1st will be charged

Seabourne - $5 pp/per day for the 1st and 2nd passenger not to exceed $70 per person effective for reservations sailing on or after Feb. 1 2008

SilverSea - $10 pp/per day for all passengers. Effective for reservations sailing on or before January 1st. Any reservations booked before November 14th will not be charged.

Majestic America Line and Windstar Cruises - $8.50 pp/per day to new bookings made after Dec. 15, 2007, and to existing bookings that are not paid in full by the same date. For guests who have not paid in full by Dec. 15, 2007, the fuel surcharge will be included on their invoice and is due with final payment.

Oceania - $7 pp/per day for all passengers. Anything not paid in full by December 1st will be charged. Any reservations made starting November 12th will be charged as well.

You are acting like Carnival is the only cruise line that is doing this, and it is not. I have future cruises booked with Carnival and Royal Caribbean. Both booked around April 2007. Both fully paid for before any fuel charges were announced. Both cruise lines have hit me with the fuel supplement.

Something is wrong, then. RCI indicates for those fully paid before Nov 16th, there will be no surcharge. You need to get on the phone -- it has happened to others, but it was, then corrected.

Here is the rundown

Additional Fuel Supplement

Due to rapidly escalating fuel prices, the following Cruise Lines have implemented a fuel supplement charge that is an additional amount that will be added to your cruise booking.

The fuel supplement is necessitated by significant rises in fuel prices which have dramatically increased the Cruise Lines operating costs.

Implementing this fuel supplement was a difficult decision for the cruise lines and they hope that their guests will understand that this is a necessary step in today’s challenging economic environment

Carnival - $5 pp/per day for the 1st and 2nd passenger not to exceed $70 per person effective for reservations sailing on or after Feb. 1 2008

Costa - $5 pp/per day for the 1st and 2nd passenger not to exceed $70 per person effective for reservations sailing on or after Feb. 1 2008

Cunard - $5 pp/per day for the 1st and 2nd passenger not to exceed $70 per person effective for reservations sailing on or after Feb. 1 2008

Holland - $5 pp/per day for the 1st and 2nd passenger not to exceed $70 per person effective for reservations sailing on or after Feb. 1 2008

Princess - $5 pp/per day for the 1st and 2nd passenger not to exceed $70 per person effective for reservations sailing on or after Feb. 1 2008

Celebrity - $5 pp/per day for the 1st and 2nd passenger not to exceed $70 per person effective for reservations sailing on or after Feb. 1 2008

RCCL- $5 pp/per day for the 1st and 2nd passenger not to exceed $70 per person effective for reservations sailing on or after Feb. 1 2008

Azamara - $ 5 pp/per day for the 1st and 2nd passenger not to exceed $70 per person effective for reservations sailing on or after Feb. 1 2008

NCL - $7 pp/per day for the 1st and 2nd passenger. $3 pp/per day for the 3rd and 4th. Effective for any bookings made on or after December 1st

MSC Cruises -$6 pp/per day for the 1st and 2nd passenger for new bookings made December 1, 2007 and onwards and will be applicable only on cruise departures after February 1, 2008.

Regent - $7.50 pp/per day for the 1st and 2nd passengers. Any reservation not paid by Dec. 1st will be charged. Any reservations made on or after Dec 1st will be charged

Seabourne - $5 pp/per day for the 1st and 2nd passenger not to exceed $70 per person effective for reservations sailing on or after Feb. 1 2008

SilverSea - $10 pp/per day for all passengers. Effective for reservations sailing on or before January 1st. Any reservations booked before November 14th will not be charged.

Majestic America Line and Windstar Cruises - $8.50 pp/per day to new bookings made after Dec. 15, 2007, and to existing bookings that are not paid in full by the same date. For guests who have not paid in full by Dec. 15, 2007, the fuel surcharge will be included on their invoice and is due with final payment.

Oceania - $7 pp/per day for all passengers. Anything not paid in full by December 1st will be charged. Any reservations made starting November 12th will be charged as well.

This was all posted a zillion times while you were on your cruise.

You all have it wrong. You should do what I did regarding the surcharge. I opened the window and put out my head out and shouted "WORLD, I AM NOT GOING TO TAKE THIS ANY MORE!!!! Then I shouted it again and again. Unfortunately, no one heard me because there were so many others doing the same thing. So maybe around midnight, I am going to give it another try. If you can hear me, let me know. "WORLD, I AM NOT GOING TO TAKE THIS ANY MORE!!!!!!!!!!........................ WORLD, I AM NOT GOING TO TAKE THIS ANY MORE!!!!!!! .....................WORLD, I AM NOT GOING TO TAKE THIS ANY MORE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ..........................................

You all have it wrong. You should do what I did regarding the surcharge. I opened the window and put out my head out and shouted "WORLD, I AM NOT GOING TO TAKE THIS ANY MORE!!!! Then I shouted it again and again. Unfortunately, no one heard me because there were so many others doing the same thing. So maybe around midnight, I am going to give it another try. If you can hear me, let me know. "WORLD, I AM NOT GOING TO TAKE THIS ANY MORE!!!!!!!!!!........................ WORLD, I AM NOT GOING TO TAKE THIS ANY MORE!!!!!!! .....................WORLD, I AM NOT GOING TO TAKE THIS ANY MORE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ..........................................

LMAO...thanks for the chuckle! :D

You've obviously never read the license agreements for the software you are using to write this. They're much worse then Carnival's contract.

You make a lot of assumptions about the software that we use to post here.

I for one stay away from EULA's altogether by using open-source software for everything.

The letter say $5 per day per passenger not ot exceed $70. We had to pay $80 for an 8 day cruise, $5 per person per day times 8 days.. Which is right?
If there are two people, then $80 would be correct. I believe the $70 limit is per person, not per cabin.

It is $5 per person per day not to exceed $70 Per Person

1st and 2nd passengers in the cabin only.

That is what I thought. So, for a three day cruise it would be $15 p/p. For a four day cruise it would be $20 p/p. For a five day cruise it would be $25 p/p. For a six day cruise it would be $30 p/p. For a seven day cruise it would be $35 p/p. For an eight day cruise it would be $40 p/p. For a ten day cruise it would be $50 p/p. For a twelve day cruise it would be $60 p/p. For a fourteen day cruise it would be $70 p/p. For a sixteen day cruise it would be $70 p/p. If there are two, three, four or five in the cabin, double the amounts above.

I have been following the many fuel surcharge threads. Today after receiving communication from Carnival, I need to post.

I do feel it is wrong for Carnival to apply the fuel surcharge to booked and paid in full reservations, while I understand the need to cover costs (although that has been debated back and forth on CC).

Among other things, I wrote a letter to Micky Arison sharing my concerns and asking some specific questions.

Today I received a letter back. I have to say, I think I am more disappointed in the generic form letter that was sent to me than the fuel surcharge. Now, I was not expecting a letter from Micky Arison, but I did think I would receive a bit more than a form letter.

Oh well. :(

Well I'm going to add my 2 cents here! As a first timer who had already paid in full and even completed all the funpass stuff on-line and everything I was a bit taken aback, not so much by the charge, but the way it was done. My email account received something from their fax server (which it then dumped into my junk mail folder) and I didn't see it for days and days. Since I had already completed all my on-line stuff I hadn't been back to the website either. Just by chance I got bored one day and decided to clean out my junk mail folder where I saw the message. I would think, since I booked directly with CCL, AND since I had paid in full that a phone call might have been appropriate. My deadline for pay-off is Dec 21st. So what if I hadn't gone back on their web-site until January? Would they have considered it a forfeit? Now I don't really mind ponying up for gas with everybody else, and the situation can be kind of humerous taken in a certain light (Hey, the captain just pulled over, we have to search the couch cushions for loose change!), but I really think they need to work on their communications a bit. I'm still going, I'm still going to have a great time, and whether or not I book any cruise or book with CCL or whatever, will depend on what happens on-board, not because of some surcharge based on some very interesting global circumstances. Our decision to use CCL in the first place was based purely on the fact that they leave out of San Diego and go where we wanted to go at the time we wanted to go there. I have no loyalty as I have never done this before. But, just as there are certain hotels we will not stay in based on experience, our experience on this cruise will decide if we ever do this again and if so what line we will choose in the future. I am under no illusion that my measley $2000.00 (more or less after all is said and done) is going to make or break the company, nor that my decision will influence anyone else. All I know is I only take two vacations a year and life is too short to screw up those 4 weeks so hopefully our cruise will be a great experience! If nothing else we will have tales to laugh about for years to come!

In other words it is wrong what they did. The Canadians are protected from such acts.

I just did a major catch-up on this thread...man has it grown. Forgetting the emotion that's tied to the issue of fuel surcharges, Kurbanfan's last sentence really hit home with me. Governments enact laws to protect their citizens and in this case, Carnival just doesn't seem to be on high moral or ethical ground as far as our neighbor to the North is concerned..

As a small protest for anyone that is interested...

if you are going to Paradise Beach in Cozumel....pack a bag of the small cartons of milk from the ship in a little ice for Tom.

You won't get 40 or 50 dollars worth...but at least you will cost Carnival a few bucks!!! :D

If as many people stop sailing Carnival as are threatening, that will be a good thing. The laws of supply and demand will eventually kick-in and Carnival will be forced to lower prices to keep filling their ships. I am always willing to pay less.

If as many people stop sailing Carnival as are threatening, that will be a good thing. The laws of supply and demand will eventually kick-in and Carnival will be forced to lower prices to keep filling their ships. I am always willing to pay less.

How many people have you seen say they will not cruise with Carnival again, 2 or 3?? Some say in 2008 they will go to Vegas, thats not never ever again will they sail Carnival. Never is a long time.

All the cruise lines have the fuel surcharge, are you going to boycott them all. I see nothing gained or proved by boycotting Carnival and moving to another cruiseline that also has a fuel surcharge.

How many people have you seen say they will not cruise with Carnival again, 2 or 3?? Some say in 2008 they will go to Vegas, thats not never ever again will they sail Carnival. Never is a long time.

All the cruise lines have the fuel surcharge, are you going to boycott them all. I see nothing gained or proved by boycotting Carnival and moving to another cruiseline that also has a fuel surcharge.

Not all have the bogus surcharge, not all implemented it retroactively to existing bookings as Carnival has done, and not all have added contract language that requires the customer to sign a blank check when they book.

I just did a major catch-up on this thread...man has it grown. Forgetting the emotion that's tied to the issue of fuel surcharges, Kurbanfan's last sentence really hit home with me. Governments enact laws to protect their citizens and in this case, Carnival just doesn't seem to be on high moral or ethical ground as far as our neighbor to the North is concerned..

A little unsure of your take on the Canadians; Carnival does seem to be abiding by the laws, now, and RCI, yesterday,buryed in tiny, teeney, print on the bottom of a promowave, that Candians who booked prior to 11/16, no longer will be charged the fuel surcharge. Looks like Carnival and RCI are sticking it to their base, the US pax.

everyone is adding fuel surcharges everyone not just cruise lines people i get deliveries from at work some add $1.50 others $4.50 fuel surcharge you want the stuff pay the charge. This is going to keep happening till the economy and oil prices get back to some sort of normalcy.

Archived