Good shelling destinations?

shelling4life

This probably isn't going to help you, but the absolutely best shelling that I have every seen in my vast expereince of beachcombing was in New Zealand, along 90 Mile Beach (northern coast where the Tasman sea meets the Pacific. This beach, as the name suggests, is vast and goes on for miles. There were so many shells of so many varieties that I nearly vapor locked. And, yes, shell collecting was even encouraged here, as long as no one was at home any longer.

Just absolutely incredible and have never seen the likes of it again in all of our South Pacific travels.

Charlie

Iv even picked up shells after a storm along the Florida coast. I lived there and if they were saying not to pick up shells, I think I would have heard it. Lived in Boca Raton for over 13 years. True, if you find a conch it is illegal to take them if there is a live guy living inside the shell, then you have to put it back.

Iv even picked up shells after a storm along the Florida coast. I lived there and if they were saying not to pick up shells, I think I would have heard it. Lived in Boca Raton for over 13 years. True, if you find a conch it is illegal to take them if there is a live guy living inside the shell, then you have to put it back.

We live in SW Florida as well and the island I work on, Sanibel & her sister island Captiva are known as the "Shell Capital of the World"!:) I have only cruised in the Caribbean, but have never seen the variety of shells we have here. Very true, if the shells are still alive (even Sanddollars) it is illegal to keep them.:eek: But there are soooo many that are unoccupied and wash up on the beach, you usually don't have to worry!

Archived