Palmtree Island and Airlie Beach information anyone?

cruiser77

Airlie Beach is a smallish town on the Nth Queensland Coast that is very popular with backpackers & yachties. It is where most of the yacht charters leave from, as the sailing through the Whitsunday Islands is spectacular. You can go out on day charter cruises to the reef and snorkel (I was absolutely blown away when I did this) or glass bottom boats etc. There is also a very impressive manmade beach/swimming area as you cannot swim in the ocean ther due to stingers. You can also take the ferry over to one of the many resort Islands

Airlie Beach is a smallish town on the Nth Queensland Coast that is very popular with backpackers & yachties. It is where most of the yacht charters leave from, as the sailing through the Whitsunday Islands is spectacular. You can go out on day charter cruises to the reef and snorkel (I was absolutely blown away when I did this) or glass bottom boats etc.
If you are a beach person, see if you can get a trip to Whitehaven Beach, which is frequently considered to be one of the finest beaches in the world. Try this image (from a Qantas advertising campaign) for a taster:-

8gi0pk1.jpg

Planning on taking cruise in November from Bangkok to Sydney and wondering what is there to do and see in these places.

Anybody any experience or information about these places?

All help greatly appreciated!

Cruiser77:)

I had a 6 month working holiday in the Whitsundays....on South Molle Island. Of course went to many of the Islands....Whitehaven Beach is "out of this world".....as is Great Barrier reef. :) As you will be on a Cruise the ship will anchor and tenders will be available for various cruise/tours - also to the mainland of Airlie Beach. Don't miss the Outer Reef experience :p . http://www.whitsundaytourism.com/places_to_visit/whitsunday-islands.cfm

I'm not sure if you mean Palm Island - off the coast of northern Queensland? It is a very small Island with mostly an aboriginal population. Here is a link - imagine it would be great for snorkelling or beach walking.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palm_Island,_Queensland

Hope you find this helpful :)

Archived