Bob Marley Tour worth it??

Ronrocks!

Hello! My family and I are thinking about doing the Bob Marley tour with Marva Shaw in Jamaica. We will be in Ocho Rios from 8 to 5 aboard the Mariner. What I would like to know is it worth it? They told us it's an hour and a half drive there and back and 15 dollars to get in. I don't want to go if I am driving to see some one room shack. I would rather spend my money and time on a beach if that is the case. Should we go will we have time to get back to town and do some shopping? Thanks for your help!

Hi there, We went on this tour in one of Marva's vans in Feb 2007. Our group had a blast and we were all glad we did it. I wouldn't recommend doing it with kids though. Once on site, some of the patrons were participating in recreational activities not suitable for kids to see, although, for the most part, they were very discreet and I don't think anyone of any age was offended.

The drive up through the mountains was really interesting, the guide was happy to answer our questions about Jamaica's past & present, but we didn't have any Bob Marley facts or music to listen to (as was advertised on the website). We were told the system was broken. I'd recommend anyone who gets motion sick should take precautions before getting on the bus. The road was, uh, adventuresome.

Once there, at first we were disappointed because it appeared we were just visiting a tourist shop full of Marley related items. But then the people at the "museum" took us in groups of 10-15 through a tour of the grounds. It was interesting, very moving at times, and entertaining.

On the way back to the ship, we enjoyed cold beer, while everyone aboard (our group of 4 and one other couple) discussed and decided on where the bus/van would take us next, choosing between shopping (in a secured & guarded area that the bus pulls into) or heading to one of the famous restaurants with beach access. We went shopping, our driver and guide were quite happy to let us take our time, and when we got back to the Pier, there was a vendor selling alcohol for less than what we paid in the shops.

I hope this helps you. In short, we wouldn't do it a 2nd time but all of us were glad we did it once.

Hi there, We went on this tour in one of Marva's vans in Feb 2007. Our group had a blast and we were all glad we did it. I wouldn't recommend doing it with kids though. Once on site, some of the patrons were participating in recreational activities not suitable for kids to see, although, for the most part, they were very discreet and I don't think anyone of any age was offended.

The drive up through the mountains was really interesting, the guide was happy to answer our questions about Jamaica's past & present, but we didn't have any Bob Marley facts or music to listen to (as was advertised on the website). We were told the system was broken. I'd recommend anyone who gets motion sick should take precautions before getting on the bus. The road was, uh, adventuresome.

Once there, at first we were disappointed because it appeared we were just visiting a tourist shop full of Marley related items. But then the people at the "museum" took us in groups of 10-15 through a tour of the grounds. It was interesting, very moving at times, and entertaining.

On the way back to the ship, we enjoyed cold beer, while everyone aboard (our group of 4 and one other couple) discussed and decided on where the bus/van would take us next, choosing between shopping (in a secured & guarded area that the bus pulls into) or heading to one of the famous restaurants with beach access. We went shopping, our driver and guide were quite happy to let us take our time, and when we got back to the Pier, there was a vendor selling alcohol for less than what we paid in the shops.

I hope this helps you. In short, we wouldn't do it a 2nd time but all of us were glad we did it once.

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!

We will be there in 3 weeks and are very excited. We booked through Yardie Tours who charges $50pp, Carnival wants $90, but includes lunch. We decided to skip the $40 jerk chicken sandwich. Yardie comes highly recommended.

• 2 weeks later...
We will be there in 3 weeks and are very excited. We booked through Yardie Tours who charges $50pp, Carnival wants $90, but includes lunch. We decided to skip the $40 jerk chicken sandwich. Yardie comes highly recommended.

Been to Jamaica in 2001 and jerk chicken sandwich at the beach were $8 bucks. It was great but I will never pay $40 for a jerk chicken sanwich:eek: Will go back to the ship and eat for FREE:D

Man Of The Year

Archived