queen victoria now enterring the solent on webcam...

roscoe39

Here is picture 5 from http://news.bbc.co.uk/ "Day in pictures"

_44286058_dayinpicspa416.jpg

Gee, I hate to be a downer, but is that the front or the back of the shoebox?

Wow! That is more rectangular than I thought!

I realize the angle plays a part, but it sure doesn't look like a ship capable of plowing through the North Atlantic...EVER. Unless it's like a bathtub that week!

Well, they've as much as said that she was not purpose-built for that.

They weren't lying!

Karie

I wish her hull were at least one deck higher and her draft several feet more. She looks so top heavy. Anyone else worried about this?

Current regulations require the boat deck lower than we're used to (QM2 was granted an exemption) and with one top deck more than Arcadia she appears out of balance, especially from this angle. However, we're not worried about it in a technical sense, otherwise we wouldn't have booked a seven week voyage on her. Modern technology should ensure a fairly stable ship but we accept that she's never likely to ride as well as QM2 and QE2. We'll find out for ourselves in January. At least we'll have QE2 close by until Fort Lauderdale. :)

K.

For a marvelous photo-essay by an excellent photographer (and Cunard fan) Patricia Dempsey, go here:

http://emmerdale.org/linerlovers/Southampton_2007/qv_arrival.html

Patsy is on the Cunard Yahoo Group.

She has some rather interesting comments about the Vicky's "less-than-Cunard-like" horns. (my term)

And I am sorry, I just do not like the look of her. She is much too shoe-boxy. On our recent trip, some of the officers were giving a presentation in Illuminations, including the differences between a liner and a cruise ship. One of the things they pointed out was that with a purpose-built ship (for North Atlantic crossings) any public accommodations were set far back from the bow, so that passengers were clear of the rough ride and heavy spray of a liner cutting through rough ocean. So by their own definition, this ship was never intended to be a liner, making line voyages across the open ocean. So why do they insist on marketing her as being "in the great liner tradition"?

<sigh> (mumble,mutter, mumble)

Well, enjoy the picture-essay.

Karie

Thanks Karie,

I don't like her looks much either, less after seeing your (Patricia's) pictures. She may be the first Cunarder to need seat belts in her Royal Court Theater! There is a cross section poster on pdf titled CC2690S QV Master Poster which depicts the very point you made. When I find the location of where I found it, I will post it. -Perhaps some one else knows. All I can say is: QV's interior had better be absolutely bewitching; the food and service sublime!

Gee, I hate to be a downer, but is that the front or the back of the shoebox?

Wow! That is more rectangular than I thought!

I realize the angle plays a part, but it sure doesn't look like a ship capable of plowing through the North Atlantic...EVER. Unless it's like a bathtub that week!

Well, they've as much as said that she was not purpose-built for that.

They weren't lying!

Karie

Karie - Surprised that you should judge a book by the cover ??

Wait till you've sailed QE shoebox first :rolleyes:

Karie - Surprised that you should judge a book by the cover ??

Wait till you've sailed QE shoebox first :rolleyes:

:oI know, Ken. You're absolutely right. I AM pre-judging, no question. OTOH, I have sailed my share of Vista class ships already, and I do have a rudimentary knowledge of physics and aerodynamics!

But your point is well taken, and I had a guilty feeling when I said it. I KNOW it isn't fair.

BTW, Welcome back. We've missed you!

So I am interested to hear. From what you have seen and read so far, and knowing your feelings about her two predecessors, what do you think so far of the Vicky?

Karie

Thanks Karie,

I don't like her looks much either, less after seeing your (Patricia's) pictures. She may be the first Cunarder to need seat belts in her Royal Court Theater! There is a cross section poster on pdf titled CC2690S QV Master Poster which depicts the very point you made. When I find the location of where I found it, I will post it. -Perhaps some one else knows. All I can say is: QV's interior had better be absolutely bewitching; the food and service sublime!

Well she is not exactly what I expected, but I shall try to reserve judgement until after the experience. I'll just belt myself in and enjoy the show. Kind of glad I am not doing a crossing ;) although I will be doing one on Zuiderdam next year.

Denise

Well she is not exactly what I expected, but I shall try to reserve judgement until after the experience. I'll just belt myself in and enjoy the show. Kind of glad I am not doing a crossing ;) although I will be doing one on Zuiderdam next year.

Denise

Denise,

I've been on the Zuiderdam (with Hans Von Biljous ...or whatever) And though a vista, I think it's more stable than THAT looks! :eek:

Karie

:oI know, Ken. You're absolutely right. I AM pre-judging, no question. OTOH, I have sailed my share of Vista class ships already, and I do have a rudimentary knowledge of physics and aerodynamics!

But your point is well taken, and I had a guilty feeling when I said it. I KNOW it isn't fair.

BTW, Welcome back. We've missed you!

So I am interested to hear. From what you have seen and read so far, and knowing your feelings about her two predecessors, what do you think so far of the Vicky?

Karie

Sorry Karie - my reaction was more surprise than anything, after all you do seem to be one of the few on this Board to see both sides of an issue.

I haven't been away - just stunned into silence by some of the more 'silly' posts that go on here these days!!

My opinion - OK so she's based on a Vista hull, but so what? From what I see I think she looks great for a modern passenger ship and she is a Cunarder. I can't wait to be in New York on Jan 13!!! The interiors look amazing but I will reserve judgement until I'm onboard..

image.php?id=776530&type=full

A more flattering photo to choose

Ken

For a marvelous photo-essay by an excellent photographer (and Cunard fan) Patricia Dempsey, go here:

http://emmerdale.org/linerlovers/Southampton_2007/qv_arrival.html

Patsy is on the Cunard Yahoo Group.

She has some rather interesting comments about the Vicky's "less-than-Cunard-like" horns. (my term)

What does she mean by "less-than-Cunard-like" horn ??

For authenticity, you can't go wrong with what QM2 has .... after all, one of the whistles is the original from Queen Mary. That sound was pretty impressive back in 1936, wouldn't she think? :confused:

If Patsy can give a better reason for the whistle, I'd love to see it.

After all, it sounds better than what CCL and RCI have on thier ships ....

What does she mean by "less-than-Cunard-like" horn ??

For authenticity, you can't go wrong with what QM2 has .... after all, one of the whistles is the original from Queen Mary. That sound was pretty impressive back in 1936, wouldn't she think? :confused:

If Patsy can give a better reason for the whistle, I'd love to see it.

After all, it sounds better than what CCL and RCI have on thier ships ....

In the past Patsy has revealed less than enthusiasm for QV (refers to her as the Vista clone) on other sites and it is an amazing volte-face that she actually took these photos in the first place. I wouldn't take anything she writes as gospel. From what I have heard QV has a deep, interesting double-barrelled horn with two tones going on at the same time.

Ken

My opinion - OK so she's based on a Vista hull, but so what? From what I see I think she looks great for a modern passenger ship and she is a Cunarder. I can't wait to be in New York on Jan 13!!! The interiors look amazing but I will reserve judgement until I'm onboard..

image.php?id=776530&type=full

A more flattering photo to choose

Somehow, she looks a lot better than Eurodam, and a better-sounding name ... not a made-up moniker that someone drew from a hat.

No contest, if you ask me. :rolleyes:

My opinion - OK so she's based on a Vista hull, but so what? From what I see I think she looks great for a modern passenger ship and she is a Cunarder. I can't wait to be in New York on Jan 13!!! The interiors look amazing but I will reserve judgement until I'm onboard.

Ken

Yes, Ken, precisely. I think we all need to accept that the days of attractive, large passenger ships are over. It's what goes on inside that matters most to us and we're both to find out very soon. Hope to meet up with you. We're onboard Southampton - Sydney.

K.

She doesn't look too bad. Quite looking forward to being on her in, probably 2009. Ken C I think you and I would get on well. Are you on one of the ships in January?

Hi lexxity - we're on Victoria for the NY to LA world cruise segment. Will be waving like mad at the sailaway!!! :D

Yes, Ken, precisely. I think we all need to accept that the days of attractive, large passenger ships are over. It's what goes on inside that matters most to us and we're both to find out very soon. Hope to meet up with you. We're onboard Southampton - Sydney.

K.

Hi K. - will you be at the CC drinks, Chart Room, 13 Jan @ 10.30pm???? Hope so, see you there :D

Hi K. - will you be at the CC drinks, Chart Room, 13 Jan @ 10.30pm???? Hope so, see you there :D

Hi Ken - yes, we hope to be there, if we're still awake by then! We'll have been up since stupid o'clock for the approach to Manhattan and then we're spending the day in New York with our daughter and friends. If we don't make that meet we'll hope to get to another.:)

K.

Archived