Shorts in dining room the first night

CorvetteLady

I'm sorry, but the only restaurants NCL allows shorts at dinner on the Spirit are at Raffles (the Buffet) and the Blue Lagoon (24 hour food court).

He'll have to wear long slacks or jeans to dine at the other restaurants, except for one of the Main restaurants that will not accept jeans. If you're wishing to have a four course dinner at one of the Spirit's fine restaurants, wear slacks or jeans, not shorts....

Usually an exception is made for the first night. They understand not everyone always has luggage before dinner, and people really don't pack dinner clothes in a carryon, usually. I would just go as you are and I would be VERY surprised if anything was said about it.

Here's an idea: there are these type of shorts that have zippers around each leg so they convert to long pants. When you turn them into shorts, only two small sections are taken off, and you could put them anywhere in a bag or pocket. They are lightweight material - hikers use them a lot. Wish I knew what they were called.

I have a pair of Tilley trousers -- there is a zipper at the knee around the leg. You up-zip there and, voila, you have a pair of shorts. Then, if you need trousers later in the day, just zip back on the missing part you zipped off!!

You can pack the up-zipped part in your hang luggage.

Probably too late to buy a pair for this cruise on short notice (unless you know who carries Tilley trousers in your area), but something to keep in mind for the future.

Most times, however, you WILL get your luggage before dinner time. If not, your 'sin' of showing up in shorts is easily explained. He'll only get three lashes with a wet noodle at most, as his punishment. LOL

Every NCL cruise I have been on- always on the Spirit, so keep that in mind- it has been a free for all on embarkation night. I've seen lots of shorts and I would be surprised- shocked- to see anyone turned away on that chaotic night.

On the Pearl in Alaska my husband and son were turned away at main dining room with shorts on the first night.

The ship's crew must have known that all luggage had been delivered to the cabins. Was your luggage missing? If so, you should NOT have been turned away. In that event, they should let you dine in whatever clothes were decent enough for boarding.

However, if they know everyone has their luggage, then it is reasonable to expect a bit more decorum in dress in the main dining room. After all, you will not starve, since you can always go to the self-service cafeteria or order room service.

1 - The restaurants are all inside, so you will have normal room temperatures. The temp of the outside has little bearing.

2 - You should have your bags by then, most usually do.

3 - It is not that hot in New Orleans. Most people wear long pants in the first place.

4 - As mentioned, I would assume you would have a change of clothes in the carry on.

5 - I notice you are from Alabama... and might be driving in the same day? You will be outside but a few minutes to unload the car, then into the a/c in the terminal.

6 - You can wear shorts to the buffet just about anytime. People wear just about anything there.

7 - On the other hand, there might be a sail away party on the pool deck with food if the weather is good. Shorts or even swimsuits would be appropriate there. It was raining when we sailed out in November.

I'm sorry, but the only restaurants NCL allows shorts at dinner on the Spirit are at Raffles (the Buffet) and the Blue Lagoon (24 hour food court).

He'll have to wear long slacks or jeans to dine at the other restaurants, except for one of the Main restaurants that will not accept jeans. If you're wishing to have a four course dinner at one of the Spirit's fine restaurants, wear slacks or jeans, not shorts....

As one who, on 1st night, did NOT get my luggage in time, was certainly welcomed into the dining room in shorts. It is understood that luggage delays occur and I had to go to the pursers desk to help locate mine eventually.

On other nights, it's a different story but 1st night was not an issue with the main dining room staff.

"It is not that hot in New Orleans. Most people wear long pants in the first place"

We were in New Orleans last weekend for the Saints game. It was very hot on Sunday, we all wished we had worn shorts until we got into the superdome but that is another story!

Thanks for all the replies, I don't want to take a carryon which is why I asked about the shorts. It has never been a problem on Carnival, and sometimes we get the luggage before dinner and sometimes we don't, we like to eat early.

"It is not that hot in New Orleans. Most people wear long pants in the first place"

We were in New Orleans last weekend for the Saints game. It was very hot on Sunday, we all wished we had worn shorts until we got into the superdome but that is another story!

Thanks for all the replies, I don't want to take a carryon which is why I asked about the shorts. It has never been a problem on Carnival, and sometimes we get the luggage before dinner and sometimes we don't, we like to eat early.

Just a comment -- it's always a good idea to have a small carry-on even if you bring it aboard empty. It will definitely be useful at the end of the cruise when you have to put your luggage out the night before. Unless of course you plan to throw away your toothbrush, shaving supplies, pajamas and anything else you forgot to pack (provided you use these, maybe you don't) after the last night of the cruise. And who knows, you might have a bottle of something that could be placed in the carry-on (at the end of the cruise, not the beginning which is not allowed).

I think you will find that on NCL that the luggage will almost always arrive before dinner hour is finished. They don't close until 10 PM. And there is always the self-service buffet and room service if you are really famished.

Archived