Immigration even if staying onboard?

LoriPhil

When we dock at St. Thomas we were thinking of having a leisurely breakfast onboard and then going ashore... is there a mandatory cattle-call where we all must get in line for immigration at the same time, or can we filter through? We're US Citizens, but it sounds like there are lines for everything:eek:

US Immigration requires that EVERYONE be checked through before anyone is allowed off the ship...so you have to go and if you don't everyone on board will be familiar with you as they call you over the loudspeakers.

It's unfortunate that US Immigration adds to the number of lines that are required - given the utmost care and attention they pay during these checks, the time in line seems worthless. When I returned to San Diego from Dawn Princess in Mexico, the immigration officer didn't even look at my passport...

PLEASE PLEASE go stand in line when you are supposed to!

Every cruise, there is a delay in going ashore while they call the names of the pax who have missed the MANDATORY immigration inspection! On one cruise after a delay of more than an hour they found the guilty party happily enjoying a massage in the spa! Personally I think they should have dragged her down there wrapped in a towel ...

It doesn't matter when you are going ashore, everyone must meet with immigration at the specified time.

Have a GREAT cruise!

Last time in St. Thomas, we had to go through Immigration like we always have, but it was much different than it used to be. As we checked in with Immigration, we were given a little pass to go ashore. As soon as we received the pass, we could proceed to the gangway. It was much different then other times when the entire ship had to clear before anyone was allowed off.

Not sure if this was something they were just experimenting with or if this is now considered 'normal', but it was great not to have to wait for everyone to check in for a change.

Going thru immigration takes all of about 5 minutes as long as you don't try to be one of the first through. We were one of the first due to an early excursion and it took about 10 minutes.

It went very quickly...much quicker than I expected.

Its required for everyone.

Last time in St. Thomas, we had to go through Immigration like we always have, but it was much different than it used to be. As we checked in with Immigration, we were given a little pass to go ashore. As soon as we received the pass, we could proceed to the gangway. It was much different then other times when the entire ship had to clear before anyone was allowed off.

Not sure if this was something they were just experimenting with or if this is now considered 'normal', but it was great not to have to wait for everyone to check in for a change.

This was my experience also on the Crown this past summer. Although they had scheduled times (I really don't remember the details of that part), I didn't go down there until much later -- maybe 11am or so. There was no announcement of names; there were a few general announcements reminding those who hadn't yet checked through to be sure and come to Club Fusion, but they certainly weren't calling out names or holding people on the ship until everyone was through. It all seemed to work fine -- there certainly was NO line at 11!, although the two officials did scrutinize my passport for quite some time, but I think that's more a function of a completely different haircut in the photo versus in person...

Personally, I find the whole ritual in St. Thomas asinine. You're right, it's fast. They barely look at anything, yet you've got to be up at the crack of dawn to go through with it, regardless of whether you are planning to get off the ship or not. I've never understood why you have to go through this in St. Thomas but not Puerto Rico?? In any event, after doing the drill last week I turned to my friend and asked, "Now, don't you feel MUCH safer now that we've all had to do this?!" We'd already been checked and searched getting onto the ship in Ft. Lauderdale; they scan your cruise card getting off and on the ship at every stop (we'd only stopped in St. Martin prior to St. Thomas). So where and how did they think a terrorist had sneaked aboard and how was that supposed to ferret them out?? Because I'm SURE anyone who DID manage to sneak aboard would comply with the order to show up with your passport, etc. Ludicrous! :cool:

We recieved the pass on the Crown and when we got off nobody was collecting them at the gangway.

They don't check people off just wave them through so if someone was to wait to debark until after noon there won't be somebody collecting those all day. It is a ridiculous policy. :rolleyes:

Personally, I find the whole ritual in St. Thomas asinine. You're right, it's fast. They barely look at anything, yet you've got to be up at the crack of dawn to go through with it, regardless of whether you are planning to get off the ship or not. I've never understood why you have to go through this in St. Thomas but not Puerto Rico?? In any event, after doing the drill last week I turned to my friend and asked, "Now, don't you feel MUCH safer now that we've all had to do this?!" We'd already been checked and searched getting onto the ship in Ft. Lauderdale; they scan your cruise card getting off and on the ship at every stop (we'd only stopped in St. Martin prior to St. Thomas). So where and how did they think a terrorist had sneaked aboard and how was that supposed to ferret them out?? Because I'm SURE anyone who DID manage to sneak aboard would comply with the order to show up with your passport, etc. Ludicrous! :cool:

So then let's do the "non-asinine" procedure and all line up in the cues, wait to go to the counter, stand in front of the agent with the computer, answer all the questions just like we do entering any country (even the US). Probably will take about 4 hours just like when we disembark.

So.... what do we know about the pre-screening that has be done by immigration before the continuous parade through the lounge. :confused: The ship has all of our passport numbers, immigration gets this and can do the computer checks..... they just need to see us face to face. Just think of it as immigration is expiditing the process for us and go with the flow.

So then let's do the "non-asinine" procedure and all line up in the cues, wait to go to the counter, stand in front of the agent with the computer, answer all the questions just like we do entering any country (even the US). Probably will take about 4 hours just like when we disembark.

So.... what do we know about the pre-screening that has be done by immigration before the continuous parade through the lounge. :confused: The ship has all of our passport numbers, immigration gets this and can do the computer checks..... they just need to see us face to face. Just think of it as immigration is expiditing the process for us and go with the flow.

You've been cruising for quite awhile. You must know that none of this was necessary when stopping in St. Thomas even 10 years ago.

For me, I'll just try to avoid ships stopping in St. Thomas for awhile.

I've never understood why you have to go through this in St. Thomas but not Puerto Rico??

Actually you do have to go through this in Puerto Rico as well, if you've visited a foreign port immediately prior to visiting Puerto Rico. Most ships though either have San Juan as a first stop or one immediately after visiting St. Thomas so you hear more complaints about St. Thomas.

Actually you do have to go through this in Puerto Rico as well, if you've visited a foreign port immediately prior to visiting Puerto Rico. Most ships though either have San Juan as a first stop or one immediately after visiting St. Thomas so you hear more complaints about St. Thomas.

Never experienced it in San Juan; but can't recall whether we'd stopped someplace before going there. I do remember going to both islands in the past without ever having to do the immigration shuffle. I don't know when they started it. First time I ever had to go through it was on Golden in 2002.

Americans didn't have to do it prior to 9-11. I have to admit I got quite the chuckle on that mid-September, 2001 cruise, when we did our immigration inspection, and then they called all the Americans down for theirs. Oh, the grumbling LOL. I see it still persists :)

You've been cruising for quite awhile. You must know that none of this was necessary when stopping in St. Thomas even 10 years ago.

For me, I'll just try to avoid ships stopping in St. Thomas for awhile.

I have also been throught the "cha cha" line many times (US and other countries authorities) and it goes quickly. Why fight city hall.

I have also been throught the "cha cha" line many times (US and other countries authorities) and it goes quickly. Why fight city hall.

*grumble grumble* cuz it's stupid and inconvenient and dumb and . . . *grumble mumble** Must be a sign of getting old.:rolleyes:

Archived