What to do with the shoes??

PrincessMelody

Ok...I have this formal dress for the cruise that is a deep burgundy, and really pretty. The problem is that the only shoes I have that look dazzling with this dress are a pair of Manolo Blahniks that were very expensive...:eek: I don't think I would feel good packing them in my checked bag, but I hate to have to stuff a shoe box in an already packed carry-on bag. Any ideas or suggestions?

I think you are going to have to bite the bullet and pack them in your checked luggage. The real problem I see is that do they go with anything else. I have nightmares about packing shoes for holidays. How many pairs do other people take. I try to limit myself to three but really know that life is difficult without four or five. Trouble is shoes are so heavy. If I only take three I end up with one bronze pair of evening shoes that goes reasonably though not particularly well with everything. One pair of heavy duty trainers for long walks and in case it rains. One pair of sandals for daytime on board and walks around towns and ports in reasonable weather. I'd be really interested to know how others manage.

Well I guess I could wear black sandals with the dress...:( The Manolos were just stunning, though...

I don't think I would wear them again during the cruise, so they would not be the most practical pair to bring. Plus, I would worry about them...

I wish I could cut down on the shoes I take! On our 10 day cruise, I took a dozen pairs-and wore them all!:eek: I was hoping to only take 6 or 7 on this trip.

Sounds like you'd really like to take the MB shoes.

I think you should weigh up the odds; how great they look and how amazing

they make you feel when you wear them with whether they're too much to

carry in your carryon and how much you'll worry about them. So is it worth it??

They sound like a great pair of shoes, are they big and do they have to be in

a box to travel?? If it were me and I really wanted to take them I would

probably wrap/pad them up real well, bag 'em and put them in my carryon.

Have a great cruise, whatever you decide. :)

Hmmm. If they go perfectly, even with one dress, I'd bring them. I mean, how often do you get to wear them at home?

I carry my valuables with me. Maybe not what others would be considered valuable, but if it's valuable to me, it's in my carry on. You can carry up to a 19" bag on board (I think). I'd say stuff your shoes with socks or something, wrap them up, and put them in your carry on.

Sounds like you'd really like to take the MB shoes.

I think you should weigh up the odds; how great they look and how amazing

they make you feel when you wear them with whether they're too much to

carry in your carryon and how much you'll worry about them. So is it worth it??

Good points BrodyBarb. You are right, I really do want to take them. I think they are amazing!! I could wrap them carefully and put them in thier sleeper bag, that way I wouldn't have a big box in my carry on.

Anglela, there is a 50lb. weight limit as far as I know for checked bags. I travel with a 30" rolling bag, and a second 22" bag dedicated to shoes and toiletries.

Janet-Already got him carrying several items for me in his carry-on:rolleyes:

Iszu-So true!!! I have not worn them at all, except to try them on and walk around the house. Where better than a cruise to debut them?:p

BTW, Here is a pic of them if you want to see...

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/trinity5567/detail?.dir=/bffc&.dnm=2df2.jpg

Thanks for the replies;)

Bring the shoes - how many times do you feel like a million bucks?

Boy, am I fashion-challenged! I can usually get away with 2 pairs on a short cruise, 3 for 7 days or more. I won't wear high heels anymore, so I just bring one or two pair of nice shoes for dinner. I'm sure they're a Glamour "don't" with a short dress, but they look fine with a long one or fancy pants. Then a pair of shoes for walking and the gym. I may bring two pairs of athletic shoes for Alaska (one on my feet, one packed) in case it gets rainy.

DH thinks we should just take our 22-inchers and use the laundry 1/2-way through. Our "steamer trunk on wheels" bag is now officially oversized for the airlines (over 62 linear in), so we're not going to incur that additional charge. Or I may just buy a 26-inch bag for myself, plus a carry-on for my valuables. You can pack more than 50lbs per bag, but will pay something like $80 for the privilege.

As the old saying goes "... if you've got it -- flaunt it.." If I were in your shoes (no pun intended), I would take them even though I usually stick to the minimum.

Angela, I'm with you, I pack one pair of "dressy" shoes which are comfortable and go with everything plus a pair of good sandals. To travel I wear my tennis shoes which are great for walking on deck, using the gym or shore excursions. It doesn't matter where I go, e.g. Las Vegas, Florida, etc., the same formula works great for me.

Take the shoes!!! What better opportunity to complete your elegant evening than to be in a pair of MB. I'm a shoe-aholic and couldn't imagine leaving my "hot" shoes home. The way I see it, I want to really enjoy my cruise and having my dressing options with me is enjoyable to me. I even have a packing philosophy - I just keep adding stuff until the suitcase is full. No use leaving room in a bag I already have to take! And shoes are usually quite able to fit in those left over nooks and crannies! :D

THEY"RE MB'S FOR CRYING OUT LOUD!! I would KILL for a pair.. but with, essentially, 4 kids there is no way I could justify it.. sigh... I would be torn too.. What if something happened to them? On the other hand.. I mean to feel that great one night... sigh... I don't envy you : )

Aww, thanks Nancy...:p So sweet of you...I sure do love 'em, they are my favorites! Once or twice a year, I treat myself to a wonderful pair of shoes or a fantastic bag. ALL of us hard working women should treat ourselves once in a while!

I was not sure before, but now I know I am definitely going to take all of you great ladies' advice and bring them with me, wear them, and enjoy them!!

Thanks!!!:D

.....take them, what are you saving them for??? Being a former shoeaholic and not able to wear GREAT SHOES anymore due to age, I recommend you take them and wear them as often as you can. Life's too short, enjoy all you can, while you can!!! ~B~

They are beautiful shoes. What's the point of just owning them? If you haven't worn them yet and you have this opportunity go for it. I have a feeling that if you don't take them you will not feel really special when you get in that dress without them. But if you do take them you will so enjoy yourself that night. I'm sure you can find room somewhere in a carry on for something this special. As for worrying about them while you are on the ship stow them in the safe in your room. I'd love to see a picture of the dress you are planning to wear that night also. Can you at least describe it?

Have a great cruise.

Carol

I bet they'd be fine in your checked luggage, but if your not comfy with that - stick'em in your carry-on. I cannot imagine taking only 5 or 6 pair of shoes. I took 10 pair on my 7 day cruise - and wore every single pair except one.

Running shoes - for my morning runs, and the gym ( happily I got in 3 workouts)

waterproof trek sandals - wore them on all our excursions - best shoes I brought!

beaded flip flops - for the pool deck - they were so pretty I had to have them for the pool.

Topsiders - wore them on the plane - I get cold on the plane and can't wear sandals - otherwise I'd have worn them and left the topsiders at home.

strappy black sandals - for 2 outfits & for 2nd formal night

champagne sandals - formal gown

brown thong heels - to go with one specific outfit

white heels - couple of outfits

shangtung flats - general walking around on ship

red slide heels - these I did not wear - but I love them!

I had no problems fitting these all in my luggage - and I was glad to have them.

Archived