What to do with the shoes??

PrincessMelody

Put them in the checked luggage. I mean, what are the chances that a shoe thief with your same size would happen across your bag and be willing to risk stealing a very conspicuous item? Shoes don't exactly fit into a pocket like cash. If the bag were to be lost or destroyed (small chance), your insurance would cover the shoes.

Life's too short to worry about things that can't love you back.

At the risk of being kicked out of the gender, I just don't get it. Those are nice shoes, but I can easily find plenty of nice shoes that cost less than $100 a pair. If I saw someone wearing those shoes, I would not know they cost $400 or more. I guess I'm missing the gene that allows me to look at a pair of shoes and see whatever quality it is that makes them worth their price tag. Heck, if I couldn't read the label, I wouldn't know they were MB's. What is it about these shoes?

but everyone has their own style and their own favorites. I have spent as much as $125 on a couple of pair of shoes - but they are both shoes that I wear very often - and they are extremely comfortable and to me, very attractive. However, I can see where someone sees that one special pair, and they just have to have them no matter what. Personally, I have not seen any Manolos that suit my tastes, but I sure thought they looked great on the Sex & The City gals!! :-) But for me to spend that kind of mula on shoes - well, it would have to be for an event that was life-defining.

Anyway - I agree - I've seen shoes that are $100 or so, that look as good *to me* as $400 Manolos. Shoot - I was trying to decide between 2 pair for my formal, and loved them both. But in the end, I picked the pair that matched the best. The other pair I took back - even though I wanted them so badly. They were probably the sexiest shoe I've ever found, and they were absolutely stunning - and they only cost $60!! Shucks - now that I'm thinking about them again - I might just talk myself into rebuying them. Sheesh. :o

Oh, and by the way - Manolo has shoes that fetch $2000 and more. So I guess $400 is the low end!! :eek:

Suesea, I understand what you are saying. Manolos are very expensive. I have over 200 pairs of shoes, and trust me, MOST of them are just regular department store brands like BCBG, Charles David, Via Spiga, Bebe, etc. It's just that shoes and bags (and jewelry:eek: ) are my ultimate passion, and I like to treat myself to 1 really special pair of shoes or bag a year. So one Chanel or Louis Vuitton bag and one pair of spectacular Manolos or Choos a year is how I treat myself.

I know women who spend thousands on Boyd Bears, Longaberger Baskets, or other doo-dads. I personally don't get spending $hundreds for a basket, but my feeling is that if it makes you happy, then there is value in that-be it bears, baskets, shoes or whatever!:p

I hope I didn't come across as knocking those who do buy expensive shoes. I've spent more than I planned to when I found the perfect dress or shoe. I really was just trying to see what I might be missing. It's easy to look at a Mercedes and a Neon and see the added value of purchasing the expensive car. I was wondering if there was any added value to the shoes. And is there anything that distinguishes them to the eye if you see them on someone's foot?

Suesea: I understand what you're saying, and feel that way also.

I'm not knocking you guys and your love of shoes/bags, whatever. Just trying to "understand" it :) (she says as she feels left out of the feminine loop). I do what others here posted and bring only 4 pairs of shoes. 1 black strappy heels for all my more formal dresses, 1 black lower-heel sandals for more resort-casual dresses, 1 pair Birkenstocks when wearing shorts, in the pool area, etc. and 1 pair aerobic shoes for treadmilling/gym, walking around on non-water based excursions, etc.

I'm really fashion-challenged evidently. Had no idea what these brand of shoes, or the others listed here, were. And the bags, too. And what is a "sleeper bag" for your shoes??? I have never owned anything "designer" in my life, unless you count Estee Lauder and Lancome cologne! LOL :D But then I've also never ever seen an episode of "Sex & the City". Maybe I ought to start checking that show out and see what I could learn? ;) Hmmmmm... now you've all got me wondering what I'm missing out on here.

And BTW: this is my 1st ever visit to the cruise fashion board, so maybe this is in itself a good start? ;)

Hilltop - wow! 4 pair? That would just be miserable for me. A couple of good reasons though...

1) I'm a runner, and I wear very good shoes that I'd never wear on the "street". I brought them of course, for my morning runs and the gym.

2) I always freeze on the plane - so sandals are not an option to wear. I wore a pair of topsiders (they're flat and comfy) - just for travel.

3) My 2 formal outfits were completely different colors - so two different pair of shoes were required. One pair was worn with a couple of other outfits.

So I have 4 pair there already! :)

And as for Sex and The City - don't feel bad. I never saw a single show (I don't have cable TV - personal choice) but heard so much about it that I finally broke down and rented the DVDs. Call me hooked. :D

Hi again,

I didn't take anyone's response wrong. Just a lively discussion;).

Hilltop, I don't think the shoe/bag thing is necessarily something you are missing out on. Several of my girlfriends couldn't give a hoot about shoes or bags.

Suesea, it is the quality and workmanship that distinguishes a fine designer shoe...they are usually handmade in Spain or Italy. They are typically very unique in style as well. I can usually spot a pair of Manolos or Jimmy Choos from across the room. Not something you see every day!! It is a great feeling to me, to have a wonderful, essentially one of a kind beautiful shoe to complete a great outfit. Same thing with a well made beautiful Chanel or Prada bag. I enjoy them and they make me feel pretty.

As for the money, like I said...they are pricey-but a Chanel bag or pair of Manolos last forever, and never go out of style. Not to mention that I could easily buy a pair for less than most cruiser's bar tabs on a 7 day cruise!:eek: I knew there was a reason I quit drinking!!:rolleyes: LOL

If you think some of yall are fashion challenged........I buy most of my shoes at PayLess and Target! Once in awhile I get something nicer but I dont wear heels much and living in Texas I can pretty much wear sandles year round! I would love to see the shoes with the dress. They are pretty shoes and you should bring them!

Suesea, ROTFLMAO!!!:D

Karen, thanks for the nice words. I have decided to take the shoes. I wasn't sure what to do, but everyone here helped me decide. BTW, there is nothing wrong with Payless and Target. I have several cute pairs from both stores!:)

I will seriously try to get a picture here of the dress with the shoes tomorrow.

Thanks ladies!

• 4 weeks later...

Well, I didn't get a chance before the cruise to post a pic of the dress and shoes, so here it is if you are still interested...I tried to pick the one that showed the shoes the best lol...BTW I did put them in my checked bag because both our carry-ons were so packed, and they were fine, just like you guys said.

Thanks all for your input.

1809796472_ZCruise044.jpg.46e37f19159437fb1dd15f5d2b90fe7b.jpg

Trinity,

You can't leave Mr. Blahnik at home.......take him on your cruise! <g>

The shoes are gorgeous. In fact, they're the same ones that Carrie in "Sex and the City" had stolen from her friend's house when her friend made them all remove their shoes when they entered. (except hers were silver)

I wear expensive shoes and take mine with me on our cruises. For a 10 night cruise, I generally take about 8-10 pair of shoes and wear them all.

Sneakers for the gym.

Two evening shoes.

Two shoes for the nonformal nights (usually high heeled sandals)

Three pair of daytime flat sandals - 1 black, 1 neutral, 1 fashion color.

One pair of shoes in case it rains - usually a micro-fiber.

Stuff your shoes with underwear or hose, put them in their dust bags and they'll be fine. Try to find another dinner outfit to go with them so you can wear them more than once. They'd look lovely with a creme silk outfit on one of the non- blacktie nights.

Wear them alot. I never regret throwing out shoes that are worn out. But I regret throwing out shoes that are out of fashion but I hardly wore and look brand new.

Enjoy.

Jane

Thanks Jane, that is good advice. I like your idea of matching them with another outfit too. I had seen the silver ones on SATC, and loved the style, I just wasn't sure about silver. So when they came out with the same style in blush (limited edition), I trolled Neiman Marcus for weeks until I was finally able to get a pair, and I was so excited!!

This cruise was the first time I had ever worn them, because I was afraid I would scuff them or something. Isn't that silly? But what's the point of having something if you never enjoy it, right?

Take care:)

Love the MB - Wish I could buy a pair but can't wear the HIGH ones anymore :p I recently splurged on a pair of Coach sandals (HIGH) but decided not to bring them only because they're more "sitting" shoes than "walking" shoes LOL On my 5 day I was trying to limit myself to about 4 pair but it will probably wind up more like 5 or six. I related to the packing philosophy of one of the previous posters - just keep filling up the suitcase until there is no more room! :D

Thanks Iszu and Jerzzgirl...I am glad I took them along, and appreciate all the advice from you girls. I just haven't had much confidence with clothes, etc. for a long time. I was so large that I had pretty much given up on trying to dress up or look nice. I've lost 110 lbs. over the last 2 1/2 years, and still struggle with my weight-and still second guess myself over clothes and stuff. So thanks everyone for being so nice.

Melody

Melody/Trinity,

BIG congrats on the weight loss! Your photo looks fabulous - gorgeous and sexy. I'm sure you're an inspiration to many who have a lot of pounds to lose.

Like you, I can recognize a pair of Manolo's or Choo's from across the room. But more importanty, I can recognize really well made shoes and I can't stand the look of cheap ones. Shoes don't have to have a designer name for me to like them, but they do have to be well made and quality is never cheap.

BTW, next time you're in Neimans, check out the Alexandra Neel shoes....whoa! Sexy!

Many on this board can't see the difference and that's what makes horse races. There's no wrong and no right, as long as we mainatain respect and don't put others down for their choices. In the past I've been "dissed" for buying expensive things by a few people here. I've never insulted anyone for buying cheap stuff, they do it because it's what they can afford or just can't see the difference - either way, I'd never make a negative comment.

I've been interviewing for a new job the past few weeks and if I get it, I'm treating myself to my first Chanel handbag. <fingers crossed>

Hope you got to wear your beautiful shoes more than once on your cruise.

Jane

Archived