Food Safety in Jamaica?

qaz123

We're going to be visiting Jamaica,Cozumel and Grand Cayman in Febuary. Just curious if anyone has encountered any problems with the quality of the food or water at any of these ports. A drug company up here in Canada keeps running commercials about the dangers of getting hepatitus A from ice cubes made from contaminated water. I'm guessing they're playing up to people's fears in order to have them buy their innoculations. Do most of the beach clubs use filtered water?

In general, I never count on water quality...and avoid ice whenever possible. The Hepatits A vaccine is also not a bad idea for anyone who travels extensively outside of north america and europe, IMHO...however...

we ate at a roadside dive (the ultimate jerk center) in Jamaica and had the BEST food of our entire cruise, and no one had any problems. We have had frozen drinks on Grand Cayman and in Cozumel.

I've been to Jamaica many, many times and have never had any problems with the food or the water. The same is true for Grand Cayman.

I've only been to Cozumel twice but I had a... uhhh... ahem... PLENTY of drinks with ice and didn't have a problem there, either.

I'd say you're good to go.

The only thing I might caution you about is that if your diet doesn't normally include a lot of fruit avoid eating 'one of everything' in the fruit selection on the buffets... ;)

I would like to point out that like anywhere you travel, even in the USA, there is always a chance that food will be contaminated. If you are there just for the day on your cruise ship, my advice is to take bottled water with you off the ship and bring a small snack if you need to eat something. With all of the good food on the ship I would take advantage of that. If you decide that you want to eat out, just try to be selective where you eat and what you eat.

Keith

Archived