Are cabin swaps allowed???

midgecruiser

usha,

Yes, it has been like opening a can of worms. I'm not sorry we found each other. It has certainly given her peace of mind to know that my family loves me and that I'm doing very well. But, I have also had to set some limits on the "mom" thing. I'm almost 40 and I certainly don't need another mom but it would be very hurtful to her if I didn't find a place in my life for her. That has taken time and will continue to take more time to figure out. Yes, a can of worms.......

Wendy

Without getting too personal, I think I understand what you are going through. I never knew my dad and found my 2 half-sisters and half brother when I was 50. I love knowing more about my father's side of the family and I'm glad I found them, but I really had mixed feelings about forming a 'relationship' with them. It's not easy and no matter how hard I try, I can't pretend I feel the same about them as I do the sister I grew up with. And, it's just hard work.

Jrzebird,

Thank you for that. It is definitely a work in progress.....Thanks for sharing.

Wendy

You're very welcome, Wendy. If you ever want to talk, let me know and I'll either get your email or give you mine. I do know the confusion and fear.

What about quietly letting the cabin steward know that you'd be very appreciative if the balcony divider was "broken" and couldn't be opened up :).

This would not be a good idea... just tell the truth about wanting some privacy and space. You do not want the mom asking the front office to fix this broken wall when nothing is broken. White lies like these do no good but make more issues. ;)

I had a similar situation last year on the Westerdam. I had booked a cruise with my father in seperate staterooms, both VH guarantees and we were assigned VAs next door to each other. When I saw the upgrade I looked online and found an aft VA cabin that was available. I figured that since I had already been upgraded they might be willing to switch my cabin to a different VA...and it was no problem at all. They switched my cabin at no charge. I had booked directly though HA rather than with a TA but they switched my cabin in less than 5 minutes, no questions asked.

Thanks so much for clarifying the rules for this type of situation. I am assuming HAL would only allow this 'onboard' otherwise one of us entrepreneurial types would already have a site up for this ;)

From what I'm told it is only something that can be done when one is aboard. One goes to the front desk to arrange the swapping of portfolios from one cabin to another. They issue a new ship's ID card and that's that. Or, at least, that's what I've been told. Again, I've never done it myself I've just heard of it being done and have (in one case) known a family that actually did it.

Archived