Are cabin swaps allowed???

midgecruiser

I was upgraded from a VE guarantee to a VA cabin in a very nice location. This was really a great upgrade but here's the problem. I am taking this cruise with my mom. We booked our own cabin because frankly I need a bit of space from my mom or she drive me bananas. I know that sound terrible....sorry. She is a wonderful person but hey, mom's can just drive you crazy without a little space. Anyway, she also received an upgrade to a VA cabin RIGHT NEXT DOOR TO ME!!!! YIKES!! I'm sure that the "upgrade fairy" was being really sweet by giving us cabins right beside each others since our res. was linked for dining reasons. But, here I am kicking a gift horse in the mouth because I just can't wrap my head around an entire week with my mom next door. I can just see it....first time alone all day....sitting down for a glass of wine on my Verandah....mom pops her head around the partition...."Hi, oh, it's time for a glass of wine. I'll be right over." Ugh!!! Or, "let's have that nice man open the partition for us". Oh, sure, with mom popping over and knocking on the glass door with me naked trying to get dress....."HI MOM". Oh, my, this is not looking good.

OK, so after all that ranting....I have already checked with my TA and she has put me on the wait list for a paid upgrade. I'll take anything but the Penthouse (can't afford it). This cruise is sold out. Nothing available at this time. Does anyone know if HAL will allow a cabin swap ahead of time if both parties request it? I'm thinking if I can find someone on my Roll Call willing to trade cabins that we could swap. I'm hoping that a VA sounds nice to someone say in a VB,VC,VD. In other words I'm willing to "down grade". Does anyone have experience with this?

Thanks, Wendy

I was upgraded from a VE guarantee to a VA cabin in a very nice location. This was really a great upgrade but here's the problem. I am taking this cruise with my mom. We booked our own cabin because frankly I need a bit of space from my mom or she drive me bananas. I know that sound terrible....sorry. She is a wonderful person but hey, mom's can just drive you crazy without a little space. Anyway, she also received an upgrade to a VA cabin RIGHT NEXT DOOR TO ME!!!! YIKES!! I'm sure that the "upgrade fairy" was being really sweet by giving us cabins right beside each others since our res. was linked for dining reasons. But, here I am kicking a gift horse in the mouth because I just can't wrap my head around an entire week with my mom next door. I can just see it....first time alone all day....sitting down for a glass of wine on my Verandah....mom pops her head around the partition...."Hi, oh, it's time for a glass of wine. I'll be right over." Ugh!!! Or, "let's have that nice man open the partition for us". Oh, sure, with mom popping over and knocking on the glass door with me naked trying to get dress....."HI MOM". Oh, my, this is not looking good.

OK, so after all that ranting....I have already checked with my TA and she has put me on the wait list for a paid upgrade. I'll take anything but the Penthouse (can't afford it). This cruise is sold out. Nothing available at this time. Does anyone know if HAL will allow a cabin swap ahead of time if both parties request it? I'm thinking if I can find someone on my Roll Call willing to trade cabins that we could swap. I'm hoping that a VA sounds nice to someone say in a VB,VC,VD. In other words I'm willing to "down grade". Does anyone have experience with this?

Thanks, Wendy

.....so if Mom is delighted because she got located next door to you........how are you going to explain to her that you want to move.......:D

The last thing I want to do is make my Mom feel bad. She let's me handle all the details so I still have docs and she has no idea that we have cabin assignments (I'm way more into this cruise stuff than she is). And yes, she would be delighted:o . I have about a week or so before I need to send the docs so hopefully I can clear this up real soon.

As for the other offers, :) thanks, LOL.

drtee, I know you are as excited as I am about cruising solo. As for the cabin swap.....well.....an inside, huh. Not so sure.....:D

Lisa,

My Mom lives in the South so I'm heading to the Caribbean on the Westerdam on Jan. 6th. I could get the most time off work so it was easier for me to head her direction and she can fly in the same day. Darn....I miss the Oosterdam and will have to plan a trip on her soon. Such an easy trip down from Seattle. I still wish the Yum, Yum Cruise was over Presidents Day week because I am available that week. Darn again......And thanks, I'm hoping for a cabin change as well. Like they say, it's the risk of a guar. assignment and this worked out well except for this one little issue. Not that we won't have a good time. Because of course it will be great. It would just be nice to have some breathing room.

Wendy

My DH and I have almost always booked cabins right next to my parents. Not only is it convenient when we are meeting for drinks, dinner or excursions, but they/I feel better knowing that we are next door to each other in case of an emergency.

Additionally, the best part of all is when DH and I have been out all day and we come back to our cabin, open the verandah door and stick our heads around the divider. Why is this the best part, you say? Because my parents eyes light up! :) They are so happy to see us and to hear about our day (and vice versa). I am blessed that my parents are still living and that we can take vacations together. My fathers health is declining rapidly and I just pray that he will be able to make our Mediterranean cruise next summer, that he has so generously offered to his children. ;)

We do however, have unspoken "rules" about privacy.

PS - Now, when it comes to rooming with my sister, that's a different story! :D I might have to think about this separate room idea.

The last thing I want to do is make my Mom feel bad. She let's me handle all the details so I still have docs and she has no idea that we have cabin assignments (I'm way more into this cruise stuff than she is). And yes, she would be delighted:o . I have about a week or so before I need to send the docs so hopefully I can clear this up real soon.

As for the other offers, :) thanks, LOL.

drtee, I know you are as excited as I am about cruising solo. As for the cabin swap.....well.....an inside, huh. Not so sure.....:D

Lisa,

My Mom lives in the South so I'm heading to the Caribbean on the Westerdam on Jan. 6th. I could get the most time off work so it was easier for me to head her direction and she can fly in the same day. Darn....I miss the Oosterdam and will have to plan a trip on her soon. Such an easy trip down from Seattle. I still wish the Yum, Yum Cruise was over Presidents Day week because I am available that week. Darn again......And thanks, I'm hoping for a cabin change as well. Like they say, it's the risk of a guar. assignment and this worked out well except for this one little issue. Not that we won't have a good time. Because of course it will be great. It would just be nice to have some breathing room.

Wendy

If it was my mother, you'd swap.

I certainly don't want to sound rude -- not fully appreciating the situation between you and your mother -- and I don't have an answer for the question you asked, but I would really encourage you to stay with the upgrades you received, and enjoy the blessing of spending a week with your mom.

Since you live in two separate areas of the country, I'm guessing you don't get to see her too often. Take advantage of the time together.

I learned the hard way that life truly is short, when my parents were in a fatal accident. You never know -- so enjoy sharing that glass of wine with mom. :)

Just my two, unsolicited cents worth.

Sheri

Wendy,

Bless you for taking your mother on a cruise. You certainly can have lots of quality time with her without her being next door and popping her head around the balcony! We're taking my in-laws on their first cruise and booked guarantee cabins so don't know where they will be, but I hope they're not right next door also. Down the hall would be fine! I wish I knew the answer to your question but I don't. Just feel great about spending the week with her and hope it works out for the best.

I want to thank all of you for the responses. I appreciate the input and unless a paid upgrade opens up I will stay with this arrangement. This really is a great upgrade for both of us and really is a great spot. Just a bit of history here....I was adopted and this is my birth mom that I am traveling with. We found each other when I was 35 (4 years ago) and though we have a nice relationship we are still new in terms of getting to know each other. I really enjoy spending time with her but I have found through past experience that I need some space when spending time with her. It's still odd for me to have her in my life and for whatever reason I find that I enjoy her more if there is a bit of time off as well. We have taken land vacations and have stayed in the same hotel room and I seem to get a bit cranky being in such close quarters. These are still separate cabins so the arrangement should be fine. I'm just going on past experience and feeling a bit crowded. She is a very understanding person and is really very easy to be around......it's just me. Such a new relationship with someone who wants more then I seem to be able to give her. We have had the "space" conversation in the past and she gets it. Though I know it hurt her feeling some that I was pushing back. But, I also know that it is hard for her because I think she is trying to make up for all the years we missed together so tends to smoother a bit. She doesn't mean to, I know. Just wants to know me and be part of my life. Anyway, I am OK if this is the arrangement and she will just have to understand if I need space and pull back a bit. Yes, I can talk to her about this. So let's just say that I'm the one with "issues". I want to have a relationship with her but I also know that it's seems better for me if that relationship has lots of "breathing room".

Thanks again for the insight. I really do appreciate it.

Wendy

Sea Island Lady,

It was my idea. We have taken a cruise together before but with our spouses. We took a trip to Maui and stayed in the same hotel room and it was just too close. I found after the first couple nights that conversation was difficult. We have also taken trips to each others home towns with and without spouses. The nice thing about a cruise is that there is so much to do. We could dine together at a big table which would mix it up a bit. Also, we could take excursions together but also spend time doing thing separately. I just never considered that when I booked the Guarantee that we would end up next to each other. My mistake. I should have just booked the cabins instead of trying to save money and go with a Guarantee. Again, my mistake. Anyway, I'm sure it will work out and we will have a great cruise. I have yet to take a bad cruise:) !!!

Wendy

Wow, midgecruiser! Talk about a can-o'worms! I was adopted, too, and as much as I'd be interested in meeting my birth mother, a CRUISE WITH MY BIRTH MOTHER would be daunting, to say the least!:eek: I completely understand your hesitance to just haaaaaaaaaaaaang out with "mom". EEEEEEEEEEK! I applaud you for the togetherness you've already attained with her, and I'm sure she's just a lovely person. Nontheless, you ARE just getting to know her.

Good luck. I have no advice for you, only admiration, and some measure of envy. I'd really like to meet my b-mom, too (although a cruise with her could prove to be a little dicey!) Enjoy!:o

I think your exact question was "Does anyone know if HAL will allow a cabin swap ahead of time if both parties request it?"

I love how everyone is giving you personal advice on your relationship with your mother based upon one posting....but I would like to know the answer to your question as well if anyone has experience with this 'cabin swap' scenario.

I think your exact question was "Does anyone know if HAL will allow a cabin swap ahead of time if both parties request it?"

I love how everyone is giving you personal advice on your relationship with your mother based upon one posting....but I would like to know the answer to your question as well if anyone has experience with this 'cabin swap' scenario.

Normally I would agree, but the OP did open up a line of questioning and advice when she stated her reasoning for the cabin swap! ;) She could have just stated that she would like to see if anyone was on her cruise that would swap cabins with her because she did not like the location (although an aft is a wonderful location for some, I myself don't happen to like them, so I can understand how someone else wouldn't either). Or, she could simply say she was not happy being next door to a relative...period!

Once you're aboard ship it's known as "swapping portfolios." If the cabin categories are the same, it's not a problem at all IF the other passengers involved are ok with it. The Line will never ask someone to do it with you, but if you and the occupants of another cabin want to swap, once you're aboard ship it's not a problem.

This is usually done within families or close-nit groups where someone in one cabin swaps with someone in another cabin. A family with 2 youth and 2 adults will often get two cabins. One adult must be in each for booking purposes, but once aboard it's not an issue to swap around so the parents can room together and the youth are in a room together.

At least, this is how it's been communicated to me. I've never experienced it before.

Actually, I really would like an answer to my question which Revneal did address (thank you for that) but as Sea Island Lady stated, I did open up the lines for more personal advice when giving details of my situation. I actually appreciate getting a different perspective and take on all this. Not that it has changed my mind. I still would like to move if possible.:)

Wendy

usha,

Yes, it has been like opening a can of worms. I'm not sorry we found each other. It has certainly given her peace of mind to know that my family loves me and that I'm doing very well. But, I have also had to set some limits on the "mom" thing. I'm almost 40 and I certainly don't need another mom but it would be very hurtful to her if I didn't find a place in my life for her. That has taken time and will continue to take more time to figure out. Yes, a can of worms.......

Wendy

Archived