Devastation on Grenada

LovesCruisin

Hi dcsam, I do not know about others change of intinerary but .....

I just looked at the Celebrity web site (excursions) and found out that our cruise with stop in Grenada's port has been changed to Roseau, Dominica - the tickets/documents that I just got on Monday for the Dec 4, 04 cruise on the Constellation, still list Granada but I guess they were probably printed before the change took place. Officially I have not heard anything from the TA yet.

I am assuming that the web site is more up to date and it lists the correct ports of call. I have also seen some posts that are refering to Grenada as a port of call that will be visited later in Dec.

Wes

I just got an email from Mandoo yesterday... after several. He is an absolute gem... but he sounds quite exasperated on the sheer amount of communications to return and the lack of resources to do it.

That really makes me worry... the island is quite decimated. What are we going to go see... a bunch of downed trees? We're on the Sun Princess and haven't heard a darn thing about changing ports. Rumor has it that we would go to Dominica instead...

Here are my plans for Grenada: Snorkeling, sandplay, and shopping.

Since, St. George's is the prettiest harbor town in the West Indies, we will walk the town and shop. Then we will take a Bus to Grand Anse.The Grand Anse buses are at the end of the Sendal Tunnel in St. George's, near the Esplanade. Grenada’s Grande Anse beach is long and beautiful and just a mile south of the dock. We also will take a bus to Magazine Beach at the Aquarium Restaurant and Beach Club is the best beach for snorkeling.

• 4 weeks later...

One of our ports of call on the Celebrity Constellation (1/04) , and then again on the Golden Princess (9/04), was Grenada. The first time there my wife and I had read up on the island, but didn't have anything specific in mind to do. When the tender dropped us of we were quickly bombarded with people trying to sell us items, taxi rides and tours.

A native Grenadien man follow us as we browsed around St. Georges. My wife asked him where a bathroom was and soon we started talking. His name was Scotty "the main man" Samuel. Scotty does not have a taxi or any vehicle for that matter, but he sure does know his history and the places that are worth seeing. He took us to the spot where the prime minister was executed when the U.S. invaded Grenada, and several other places, before boarding us on the local bus to Annandalee Falls. We also went to the local market in town for spices, jst be sure they are packaged properly for taking them back into the U.S. I asked how much this tour was before we began, and he responded with, "I take of you, you take of me with whatever you think is good."

We ended up having a outstanding day with Scotty, and a great tour as well. The "local" bus was a bit scary as they drive around the corners on 2 wheels up in the hills. At the end of the day Scotty took us to the liquor store in St. Georges, where you buy cold local beers for $1.00 and sit outside on the picnic benches and drink them. We had a few and we bought Scotty a few. Although we could have paid him less, we paid him $40.00 total, plus paid for his (inexpensive) bus fair and beer. We felt we had a unique tour and a great day and this was a fair price. We got Scotty's address, but made no further contact due to busy lives. When we returned on the Golden Princess, just 3 days before the recent hurricane devastation, we found Scotty again.

This time he took us to Grand Etang Lake, the Catholic Church and several other place we wanted to see. Again, much of the tour done as a walking tour. The only difference this time was, we took private taxi's everywhere we had to drive and let Scotty barter for the price. We ended the day pretty much the same way as on our first visit, except we went to Grand Anse Beach and took a water taxi back to the tender. And then the devastation.

The hurricane tore through Grenada 3 days after our visit. After about 10 days we reached Scotty on the phone and he told us of the destruction there. The island was "smashed and flattened." My wife and I bought emergency items such as water jugs, flashlight, batteries, hygiene products, tarp, nutrition bars and clothing for Scotty and his children. We shipped 3 boxes, 2 of which arrived quickly and 1 that took almost 2 months, but finally arrived last week.

We speak to Scotty by telephone frequently, and he has informed us that the island is getting back on it's feet slowly but surely. The island people rely on the cruise ship tourism for their economy. Grenada was building a dock so the ships wouldn't have to tender. It was scheduled to open in October, but Scotty said it has been delayed (maybe December) due to the hurricane. He informs us that the ships are now going back to the Spice Island.

If you do port in Grenada and you don't feel like sitting on the typical shore excursion tour bus, look for Scotty. He is pleasant and kind, has a very easy-going personality, knows his history well and loves nothing more than to tour cruise ship passengers around his island. Our tours with him were a blast, both times. Remember, his tour involves a good deal of walking, so wear comfortable shoes. Read up on Grenada before you go, and he'll take you wherever you want to go.

After you get off the tender, you will be greeted by many taxi drivers trying to get your business. Just after you make your way through them, start asking people for Scotty "The Main Man" Samuel, and someone will point him out to you if he is around. He is usually there trying to get some business. You can also send me an e-mail and I'll contact him for you or give you his phone number. The e-mail I have set up is: grenadascotty@hotmail.com

Grenada is a beautiful island with nice people and a great deal of history. Good luck and have fun!!! Tell Scotty John and Leigh sent you and you'll have a great time!

• 3 weeks later...

Got a nice little package in the mail today. Included was a copy of the Visitor magazine, the list of accomodations/rates, and another booklet was points of interest etc. The magazine had an article about the new cruise port due to open in 2004 ( it's the old magazine) and had the website for it http://www.grenadacruiseport.com ( but that also is under construction. lol) I got the package by emailing the tourism board at http://www.grenadagrenadines.com

Archived