Rain in Ft. Lauderdale?

KnoxvilleSam

May sound like an inane question, but ...

We're spending 3 days in Ft. Lauderdale before our Millennium cruise (embarking Dec. 16) and I am hoping for decent weather. :0 But when I check the weather report/forecast, it says a probability of 50 percent for rain (including this Saturday's boat parade). Having vacationed before on the Atlantic side of Florida years ago, I remember that there might be a "brief" shower (30 minutes or so) followed by nice weather. I'm hoping that's what happens, but can any locals give me either hope or a reality check?

TIA,

Sam

The rain that may happen is because of the sub-tropical storm down by Cuba. It all depends on exactly where it goes, it is going west but if it goes more south than expected, then a less chance of rain, if more north, the higher chance!! This isn't your usual afternoon rain shower!!

This weekends rain is a result of Tropical Storm Olga. The local weather service is predicting a 50% chance of rain and thunderstorms for Saturday and Sunday (some prediction, isn't it). Even if it does rain consider yourself fortunate if it doesn't affect your cruise plans.

Tropical Storm Olga struck nearly two weeks after the official end of the Atlantic hurricane season. It is only the 10th named storm to develop in the month of December since record keeping began in 1851, according to the National Hurricane Center in Miami.

Tropical Storm Olga soaked portions of the Caribbean on Wednesday, triggering floods and landslides that killed at least four people in the Dominican Republic and in Puerto Rico.

The rare December cyclone had maximum sustained winds of 50 mph, and forecasters warned it could trigger dangerous floods by dumping as much as 10 inches of rain on Hispaniola, the island shared by Haiti and the Dominican Republic.

I had kind of figured that the rain prediction might well be due to Olga, but another part of me was just hoping that ... you know. :)

And I know we can't/shouldn't complain - those living in Puerto Rico, Haiti, Dominican Republic and other parts of the Caribbean suffer the consequences of bad weather routinely. I hope that Olga diminishes mainly for their sake. We can always take another cruise or visit Florida.

Sam

It should rain, the whole Southeast is in a severe drought situation. Because of the lack of hurricanes this year, there's been no rain to replenish what's lost. And it hasn't been very rainy down there this year.

The drought is widespread. Knoxville is negative 12-13 inches this year. It's very bad. We need the rain. But it would be nice to sit in some sun during our Caribbean cruise. :)

Sam

As a side-bar to this thread, having never been to Florida I have absolutely no idea of this & therefor what to bring in the way of clothing.

I'm arriving March 1 for a cruise leaving FLL on the 2nd & getting back to FLL on the 9th & will be spending two days post cruise before flying back to the Left Coast. Bequia, or anyone else with knowledge, what can I expect in the way of weather that time of year.

As a side-bar to this thread, having never been to Florida I have absolutely no idea of this & therefor what to bring in the way of clothing.

I'm arriving March 1 for a cruise leaving FLL on the 2nd & getting back to FLL on the 9th & will be spending two days post cruise before flying back to the Left Coast. Bequia, or anyone else with knowledge, what can I expect in the way of weather that time of year.

Expect low 80s.

Archived