Camp Carnival evening activities/best dinner time?

kathyjack

We are cruising in January. We will have two 8 year olds with us who will be participating in some of the Camp Carnival activities. They enjoy eating in the dining room, so will be eating dinner with us. We had booked late (8:00) dinner, but it sounds like it would be best if we booked the 6:15 dinner instead so they could go to Camp Carnival afterwards. Are most of the activities, t-dyed shirts, etc. in the eveings? Any feedback? Thanks!

We'd originally planned for early dining. But it turns out that we're down for late

dining. I'm still not sure which dining is best so we're just going with what we've

been dealt since we're first time cruisers. I'm not sure how much of camp

carnival either of my boys will participate in. (10 and 14) If you can't or don't

change your dining times maybe you could alternate your kid's dining with things

they absolutely don't want to miss. Hopefully someone else will fill you in on

activities that happen in the evening.:)

I am a first-time cruiser too and will be going in March with my 8 y.o. twin boys. I know we have early seating but I understand that at least one night the camp does dinner with the kids. You could also take them to the buffet for dinner and let them go to camp while yall eat late dinner and let them eat late with yall a few times too. Maybe someone out there has a copy of Carnival Capers or camp scheule that will give you an idea of when they do the activities. Let us know when you get back because I am curious too.

Carnival does have several nights where the kids eat with the counselors at the buffet, but what I did with my 6 year old dd was to have early seating and the waiters were always kind enough to bring her food first, so that by 7pm when most of the activites start she was done eating and I would run her upstairs before my dinner came. It only takes a couple of minutes to get them up there and then you can come back and enjoy your meal and desert without rushing.

This will be our 3rd cruise with our children (9 & 7). We always choose the later EARLY sitting. I think this is 6:15. This way, the kids can eat with us, then go to Camp Carnival at 7pm.

Otherwise, we'd have to take them to dinner early which means that we would be terribly tempted to munch, too, and spoil our dinner. Besides, we're not late people so we eat at 6:15, take the kids to Camp, go to shows & do our thing til 10pm then pick the kids up and go back to the room. Sometimes my DH will go back out, but not me. I need my zzzzz's:D

And remember, the pools and everything close early, too, so it's not like you can hang out and swim until it is time to get ready for the late sitting.

The early sitting just always seems to work better for us.

Hi, We chose the 6:15 dinner time too. What time do the pools close at?? That has got me a bit worried as the kids love to swim lots! We will be on the new Valor;so if someone has been on a comparable ship-could you please let us know the time the pools open/close. Thank-you very much.

I believe the pools closed at 8PM - One thing I would point out is that the pools are salt water - my kids did not swim as much I thought they would because of that ! We did 6:15 dinner - it was perfect timing - on the Sensation camp carnival is closed from 5;00 until 7 .

Celebration and Elation pools close at 5pm. The hot tubs stay open but the pools close. This was the case with Rhapsody, too.

I don't understand why the pools close so early though. Not like there are lifeguards and the pools aren't by the restaurants.

Why do the pools close early on some of the ships?:confused:

camps are closed sometimes during the 5-7 slot early dining times willwork great for that schedule. By the time dinner is over-- the camp should be open.

If you take the later seating which is about 8:00 or so-- camps close at 10 or pay the 5 bucks for after care.so the only time they can use the camps is basically up til the time they are getting ready for dinner.

We always choose the late dinner. This allows us plenty of clean up and rest time after port days. This year we have said the kids (15, 13, and 9) can choose to eat with us or call for room service on non-formal nights. This lets the youngest one go to camp, if he chooses.

Enjoy your cruise!:)

Just as an FYI, on our April cruise on the Miracle, our 7yo son spent a couple evenings after dinner in Camp Carnival. We were told that they would be taking them to the early show in the theater. Now they did say that some of the costumes are "revealing" but we didn't go to any shows until the last night. Needless to say, we were a little surprised to see just how revealing the costumes were (thongs and tight bras). My son never mentioned it but I wouldn't do it again (I however REALLY liked the costumes). I think he was too busy talking to his new friends.

Thanks everyone. DD called our TA and asked to change our dinner time to 6:15. TA said she didn't think it would be a problem because we are still over 4 months out, but we'll see. We'll live with 8:00, but if we get the earlier time I think it would make things much easier and more fun for our little ones. Appreciate all the feedback. Have fun Ozcaz!

I prefer the late seating so we don't need to rush from pool or ahore excursion to get ready for dinner. All the ships I've been on the pools were open till we got ready for late dinner.

What I missed with early seating is the sunsets and relaxing by the pool and watching the ship sail away from port.

I *think* that, if you do not have a specific request, they try to put you in the dining room closest to your cabin. On the Elation the Inspiration DR is at the rear of the ship and has the early seatings for main/late; the Imagination is mid-ship and has the later times.

If I'm wrong I'm sure someone will correct the record :)

Archived