Is it ok to not have a reception?

tamster808

Call me cheap (which I am), but I am having a hard time paying for a reception when everyone has already paid for all their food. Is it ok to not have a reception afterwards. I was thinking I would have an hour open bar but you have to have food to get an open bar. FYI- I am planning on a 3day RCCL on the Monarch of the Seas in April 2009 leaving out of Port Canaveral.

I know someone suggested to book the specialty restaurant and pay for everyone which I think is a good idea. But I think we will have only have 40-50 people and I understand that you have to pay for the whole restaurant. I also think I have read that RCCL gives you a hard time about booking the resturant for a wedding.

Has anyone not having/had a reception? How did everything work out? I would like to everyone to get together for a little. Could we just go to a bar on the ship and I buy everyones drinks for an hour? But there will be children present and I am not sure if they allow children in the bar areas?

are you getting married on the ship before you leave?

How much is royal charging for a reception?

All those people made arrangements to pay for a cruise /airfare to attend your wedding- the least you can do is spring for a small party.

A get together with an open bar will probably cost you just as must.

Call the groups department and ask how much will it cost for an open bar for one hour. ( I know carnival does a get together for 12 bucks pp)

I dont know if i would go to a bar and set it up for people to drink for an hour- and then give you the tab later-- you wont know what they are drinking or if the tab is correct. It could wind up costing you more that way.

You dont want people drinking without eating-- so little stuff is good.

Call me cheap (which I am), but I am having a hard time paying for a reception when everyone has already paid for all their food. Is it ok to not have a reception afterwards. I was thinking I would have an hour open bar but you have to have food to get an open bar. FYI- I am planning on a 3day RCCL on the Monarch of the Seas in April 2009 leaving out of Port Canaveral.

I know someone suggested to book the specialty restaurant and pay for everyone which I think is a good idea. But I think we will have only have 40-50 people and I understand that you have to pay for the whole restaurant. I also think I have read that RCCL gives you a hard time about booking the resturant for a wedding.

Has anyone not having/had a reception? How did everything work out? I would like to everyone to get together for a little. Could we just go to a bar on the ship and I buy everyones drinks for an hour? But there will be children present and I am not sure if they allow children in the bar areas?

Is it okay to not have a reception? Do what you want to do, no judgment here.

Here are some suggestions:

I'm fairly sure that you can have a one hour cocktail reception, I think with appetizers, arranged thru RCCL (NOT RR) for about $17 per person. You would need to have your TA call RCCL customer service and talk to the groups dept for that ship, to get more information.

Maybe consider bringing on a case of champagne. You cannot hand carry on any champagne that is offered on their booze list tho (check the gifts n gear website for bubbly labels) There is a $15 corking fee per bottle for the dining room BUT you will get a much better, quality bubbly, if you hand carry on the bottles and pay the corking fee. Then you can arrange with dining services to have a 'wedding' cake made for each table for desert one night and pop the bubbly then and thank your guests for sharing this time with you.

Have your TA check on specifics and verify what I have said here.

We aren't having a real reception BUT we are getting married At Sea on the 2nd day of a 7 night cruise. SO I know we'll be having dinner together every night and there'll be lots of opportunities to spend time with my guests.

If we were doing it in port and I was only seeing guests for the ceremony, I think I'd like a reception just to be able to spend a bit more time with the guests who took time to join you.

It's your wedding... you should do what you think best...

Now to contradict my own statements. We decided not to have a reception for our wedding, not because we don't want to pay (although you raise a valid point about the food) but because almost none of our guests have ever cruised and are probably dying to checkout the ship.

We decided that after the wedding we ask every one to join us for a couple of drinks later that night in one of the bars. Not as private but we are with a small group so we have no worries that we'll find a place where we can celebrate.

Yes, you are being CHEAP by not having a reception... suck it up and pay for it. All of you guests are paying to be at your wedding, the LEAST you could do is feed them (yes -they've already paid for their food for the cruise but THEY paid NOT YOU). If you don't have a reception, I think your guests will walk away remembering the expense/time they spent to be at your wedding -with nothing in return.

I think it is fine to NOT have a reception. Although guests paid for their own trip if was for them in the long-run. The wedding is often a good excuse for people to go on a vacation. I have been to one at sea wedding and mine is in January. We will all set together in the general dining room for dinner and cake. I wanted to do open bar package, but as you said, it can only be done with purchase of a food package. So, we will buy some wine or champagne or drinks during dinner...However it works out. I don't think you should have to "suck it up"....Do what you want and what you can afford!

Yes, you are being CHEAP by not having a reception... suck it up and pay for it. All of you guests are paying to be at your wedding, the LEAST you could do is feed them (yes -they've already paid for their food for the cruise but THEY paid NOT YOU). If you don't have a reception, I think your guests will walk away remembering the expense/time they spent to be at your wedding -with nothing in return.

This is not true and I think the post is quite rude...I have been to an at sea wedding. I remember a bit of the wedding but the cruise in general is what I remember most. I didn't even remember if the couple bought drinks or where we had dinner. I had to call them and ask! We had dinner in the general dining room and they supplied wine....Spend time with your guests -- and just have a good time - that is what it should be about -- not the amount of money you spend.

We are sailing on Carnival with 50 guests, but getting married through a private coordinator. However, we are doing a reception on the ship following dinner. We are planning on doing dinner in the main dining room where the tables will be set with favors and every couple will receive a bottle of wine (free thanks to the credits we received from our group reservation). Like you, I didn't really see the point in spending money on a separate dinner, though if we have money left in our budget we are considering it. Our post-dinner reception is for a 2 hour open bar with a DJ and cake and for 50 people was only around $1,000, which I thought was a great deal. So I'm not sure why they told you that you can only have an open bar if you purchase food, unless you are going through the wedding company. Go through group reservations if you are looking to save money.

I have to say that if you have guests who think you are cheap for not providing them with an elaborate reception, then you invited the wrong people to your wedding. You can have a beautiful wedding and still stay within a reasonable budget. People are going to remember the time spent with you more than free drinks or food.

Tam, has everyone booked under your same group reservation? I know that with my group's cruise credits we will be getting a free cocktail party. I think if you have over 50 people this is probably the case, but I'm not sure. Your TA could fight for it for you. I would check into the amount of cruise credits you will be getting with your TA and what you will be allowed to do with them.

Tam, has everyone booked under your same group reservation? I know that with my group's cruise credits we will be getting a free cocktail party. I think if you have over 50 people this is probably the case, but I'm not sure. Your TA could fight for it for you. I would check into the amount of cruise credits you will be getting with your TA and what you will be allowed to do with them.

Took the words out of my mouth:) . With 40-50 people, I'm guessing you have a group booked. If so, you can reserve a lounge to have a cocktail party using amenity points. You will need a minimum of 50 adults to do this....If you don't, you can arrange a cocktail party at a minimum cost.

excellent idea. All guest would have to be booked using the same agent in order to get the most out of the amenities.

for every 8 cabins (double occupancy) booked you should get a free berth. Some agents will keep the points acquired through groups as people jsut know to get them.

If the agent tells you that you are not qualified-- ask for a three way conversation with royal caribbean to find out why

I am getting married on the Norweigan Gem on March 24, 2008. Because of the poor food choices and cost we are not having a reception afterwards. I cannot see paying over $1,000 for finger food and it is mostly canapes which no one in my wedding party likes. Instead, I am taking everyone to one of the specialty restaurants for dinner and we will pick up the drinks as well. Even with the surcharge and the drinks which I cannot pay ahead of time I can only estimate I will be paying less money and everyone will get a 5 course meal. I have 15 people attending and everyone loves this idea better as we have already participated in a reception on NCL and were starving afterwards because the food was not good. (sorry NCL canapes are not our thing no offense) I feel it is your wedding and you decide what is best for you and your budget. Even setting something up in one of the restaurants with no surcharge is still a nice idea. It's nice to just have a meal together and share the special day.

You do not need to book the whole restaurant on RCCL. In fact,they'd prefer that you not. You can make the reservation through the groups dept. I had a total of 45 people. Instead of a reception we paid for dinner for everyone at Chops Grille the evening of our wedding (got married on the beach in St. Thomas).

Everyone RAVED about the dinner. We added champagne and wine and the manager was WONDERFUL about working with us so that we didn't spend too much. He let us stay as long as we wanted (nearly midnight, since we didn't start until nearly 9:00).

He set up the tables of 10 in the back so we were slightly separate from the rest of the dining guests. The staff was wonderful.

I am not having a reception and I don't think that we are being cheap at all. I am getting married on the beach with cake and champaign following the ceremony. That evening I am having an open bar with oderves for one hour. My guests think it's a great idea. My advice.... do what you want. This is YOUR wedding! :D

Archived