Belize - Which of these locations is best? HELP!

eastexascruiser

We are planning our snorkel tour (on our own) in Belize & it basically comes down to these 2 options:

1) Shark Ray Alley, Coral Gardens & Swash or North Channel

2) St. George's to Goff's Caye

Coral Gardens, Star Tours & Belize Shore Tours all do the Caye Caulker/Shark Ray Tour. It appears Star Tours makes 3 snorkel stops vs 2 and they are also lower in price.

Sea Sports Belize offers the St. George's to Goff's Caye trip. This excursion is a bit pricier than the Caye Caulker tour. I don't mind paying extra if it is worth it.

Those of you who have been to Belize - please help me decide - option 1 or 2? Which of these locations has the best snorkeling? Any and all feedback is greatly appreciated.

I also recomend Shark alley. We went to the cener of town and rented a boat. cost was $25 each for about 6hrs. we all had our own stuff. WE also went to a place for beer and food after snorkling. great time, best snorkling ever.

• 2 months later...
We are planning our snorkel tour (on our own) in Belize & it basically comes down to these 2 options:

1) Shark Ray Alley, Coral Gardens & Swash or North Channel

2) St. George's to Goff's Caye

Coral Gardens, Star Tours & Belize Shore Tours all do the Caye Caulker/Shark Ray Tour. It appears Star Tours makes 3 snorkel stops vs 2 and they are also lower in price.

Sea Sports Belize offers the St. George's to Goff's Caye trip. This excursion is a bit pricier than the Caye Caulker tour. I don't mind paying extra if it is worth it.

Those of you who have been to Belize - please help me decide - option 1 or 2? Which of these locations has the best snorkeling? Any and all feedback is greatly appreciated.

I have not tried all you list above, but we went to Caye Caulker to the "narrows" or "split" I think it's called, and had a grand time. This is what used to be the very narrow part of the caye that was opened during a storm a few years ago. From where you tender in from the ship, take a water taxi to Caye Caulker. That in itself is an interesting and pretty "drive". Shallow water and your water taxi is really moving; feels like over 30 kts. Anyway, once at Caulker, just turn right and follow the dirt road to the split. Caye Caulker is a really neat, undeveloped place that is SO different from the typical "Caribbean Event" when most people go. At the split there is a great little bar right there which is where you'll lay out your beach towels. The beer there is about $1.00 per bottle, and VERY cold and good. They also carry soft drinks and I recall limited food.The snorkeling right there, just slide into the water and watch the fish. It is not a large place to snorkle and there are not lots of corals, etc. Just clean white sand and unbelievablly clear water and tons of small fish.

• 3 weeks later...

We flew to Ambergris. Do not wadefish in certain lagoons for there are crocodiles. Attached is link to pictures. We took Maya Air over to Ambergris. It was great. Dylan, our bus driver, managed to work in a tour of Belize City as we came back from our trip.

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/t.zablocki@sbcglobal.net/album?.dir=/205d&.src=ph&.tok=phpKdRCBTC4997vV

Archived