Voyager Drydock 12-8-08

parisbully

Voyager will be in drydock 12-8-08. Any opinions on whether this will affect the 12-1-08 cruise? Locking things down during cruise, short supplies of food, ect? We are on the 12-1 cruise and thinking about cancelling.

Just the reverse. Voyager will be in tip-top condition, ell stocked with all the thngs to make your cruise memorable. My advice-----Don't cancel.

Generally there is nothing to worry about. I am confident they will not run out of things especially since a ship provisions far differently than does your home. Dry goods, liquors, etc. all stay and are used within a couple of weeks, most perishable food is provisioned for each cruise, so they might be a tomato short, but nothing you would actually notice.

They may have a few suites out of service so that workers prepping things behind the scenes or in non-public areas can get a start, but otherwise your suite will be, well, sweet and the cruise as expected.

Voyager went into dry dock right after we got off her in Nov 06. The dry dock was supposed to last a week. In the end they ran far over that and it lasted long enough for at least one cruise to be cancelled. So I wouldl be hesitant about booking a cruise scheduled for immediately after the drydock!

I am afraid that I misread parisbully's original post, thinking that he/she was cruising one month after drydock and was worrying about whether Voyager would be fully ready and whether a post-drydock cancellation was likely (as happened to me last year). However re-reading it, it appears that his/her cruise is BEFORE the drydock. In that case I agree totally with Iamboatman.

Voyager went into dry dock right after we got off her in Nov 06. The dry dock was supposed to last a week. In the end they ran far over that and it lasted long enough for at least one cruise to be cancelled. So I wouldl be hesitant about booking a cruise scheduled for immediately after the drydock!

Hambagahle, was your cruise affected by the drydock immediately after? Running out of supplies, preparation, etc.???

I am afraid that I misread parisbully's original post, thinking that he/she was cruising one month after drydock and was worrying about whether Voyager would be fully ready and whether a post-drydock cancellation was likely (as happened to me last year). However re-reading it, it appears that his/her cruise is BEFORE the drydock. In that case I agree totally with Iamboatman.

OrpingtonT, thanks for clarifying. I was a little confused about your post but didn't want to question you. I hate it when posters pick apart each others wording.

We were on the Mariner last March before the drydock and unless someone told us we would not have noticed any difference. The morning that we pulled into Ft Lauderdale on the last morning of the cruise was the first time we noticed that they had placed plywood on the pool deck to protect the teak flooring from damage ..

I mis-read the post as well -- again, confusion between our way of dating things and the US (and Asia too, I might add!)

On our Nov 4 cruise 2006 Rome to Ft Lauderdale, there were several indications of the upcoming drydock, but nothing really bothered us:

1. Somewhere along the way - Barcelona I seem to remember it was - large pallets of something or other were lashed onto the 12th deck near the golf net. Didn't interfere with anything.

2. We learnt that during the actual trans-Atlantic portion of the cruise "work" was going on in all suties on deck 6. This (I think because I didn't go and inspect!) involved tearing out carpets and refreshing decoration. Some people on Deck 7 said there was some noise during the day. No one really complained about it though.

3. As we docked in Ft L, hundreds (700 to be precise!!) of new mattresses were brought to the different decks as we struggled to get past them with our carry on luggage. Again it wasn't what you would call a major inconvenience and actually we had a bit of a giggle over it.

That was the sum total of any "nuisance" to us. Well managed and no real problems. Hope this helps!!:)

Archived