Scuba Diving Princess Cays

kenzie

Who are you diving with in Cozumel? You have a huge choice of operators there to choose from.

In Princess cays you only have the choice of the princess excursion due to it being a private island.

I can't comment as to the quality of the dive there as Princess didn't offer a dive excursion when we were there a few years ago. I'd probably dive there as, like you, opportunities to dive in warm water are few and far between for me.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for your reply, I am diving with Dive Palancar as it is next to Nachi com all inclusive resort and family who do not dive can enjoy the day, also my two children aged 16 & 10 are to do a discovery shore dive on the same day and I can watch them after my return. Might even see if I can shore dive with them as well- too make it a family thing.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...

My son and I went diving in Princess Cays in late December. Here are my thoughts:

1. It was COLD! Too cold for my son and I both, and he rarely gets cold. We were wearing shorties but both had toes go numb because it was so cold.

2. The dive boat was small, crowded, and we had to drop off and pick up the people from the deep sea fishing excursion on the way to and from the dive site.

3. The boat ride was about 25 minutes along the shoreline to the dive site to the "hole" which was salt water and fresh water mixing according to the divemaster. The hole itself was too deep to see the bottom, and maybe 6 feet wide.

4. We did not see many fish larger than a foot long - mostly smaller fish and coral and seaweed.

5. There was "miscommunication" according to the divemaster regarding the BCD and wetsuit and tank sizes onboard. My 12-year-old son and I both had all three items mentioned above too big for us because they did not have any tanks but full size, and I think only 2 small BCDs, no extra-smalls, and the shorties were loose fitting in the legs so they didn't help as much as good fitting ones. In their defense, it was the 2nd day of the cruise, but we did fill out our required paperwork by dinner with this information and you would think they would have smaller sizes anyway.

6. There was one divemaster only who dove with our group of 9. He was very patient with my son who for the first time ever had trouble with his ears.

7. It was about 40 minutes of diving.

8. The internet said it was $160, but for whatever reason we were charged $110. Still a lot for a single tank dive.

Conclusion: I would not recommend this dive. There are so many better, more reasonable dives.

Edited by cindivan

• 3 years later...

We will be on the Royal in December but they are not offering any scuba on Princess Cays. We also are doing the same itinerary. Wonder why they offer it on some ships and not others? Wish we were going to some other island - I have been at the Cays many times - usually just stay on the ship but our son is joining us and really wants to scuba.

• 4 weeks later...