see any green monkeys?

Thoth

I can almost guarantee you that

if you take a tour designed to see Green Monkeys

you will do just that!

They're all over my house two-three mornings a week

and I live in suburban Bridgetown.

Does that tell you??

See the pics below, taken right outside my front door!

we hear them walking/running across the roof, or the neighbour's roof

and we know They're ba-a-ack!

I can almost guarantee you that

if you take a tour designed to see Green Monkeys

you will do just that!

They're all over my house two-three mornings a week

and I live in suburban Bridgetown.

Does that tell you??

See the pics below, taken right outside my front door!

we hear them walking/running across the roof, or the neighbour's roof

and we know They're ba-a-ack!

Thank you very much..! What other tours or sights might you recomend ? As an insider your tips would be most helpful. Harrison Cave..is it worthwhile?

Any great historical sites to see?

What other tours or sights might you reccommend ? ===> Scan thru these Barbados posts!

As an insider your tips would be most helpful.

Harrison Cave..is it worthwhile? ===> very much so

Any great historical sites to see?

IF it's open when you're here

(it's been Under Renovation for like the last ten thousand years:cool:)

Harrison's Cave is definitely worth doing.

It is our Number One tourist attraction, statistically

so that should tell you something.

It's a well-lit LIVING cave

(running water still in the process of making the cave)

and they carry you around in electric-driven trollies so nothing is touched.

It's NEAT! - Go.

Historical sites: all these islands have their little bits of this and that,yes.

Can't think of anything immediately off the top of my head

but go thru the Barbados posts and see all sorts of suggestions.

There is a Barbados Museum, near the Garrison Historical Area

(old British Army hangout, back in the 1800s)

which you might like.

Not far from the ship..suburban Bridgetown...near to the Hilton...

aplmac,

Thanks for the pics! We are going to be in Barbados in March and hope to see the green monkeys in action. I'll bet they are a pest for the locals but .....I wonder if people realize what an attraction the monkeys are. Can you recommend any locations where they would likely be spotted in March?

Thanks!

We were at the wildlife reserve with Sarah of Glory Tours on Sunday morning, 12/9 (can it really be just 8 days ago!) in the morning. The monkeys supposedly can be seen only at feeding time in the afternoon. We were, therefore, pleasantly surprised when a monkey ran across our path as we were getting ready to leave. We then saw several more monkeys in a tree. Awesome!

BTW, Glory Tours' "A Touch of Splendour" tour, which we took, is probably a better bet than any ship's tour.

........ We were pleasantly surprised when a monkey ran across our path

as we were getting ready to leave.

We then saw several more monkeys in a tree. Awesome!

Green monkeys always travel is troops.

There's no such thing as a single monkey.

If you see one, just be still/quiet and start looking around you.

Look for un-natural shaking actions in the bushes as they climb about from limb to limb.

You'll soon discover there are about 8-10 of them

with the larger adults further away from you than the smaller curious juveniles

who will often get right up in your face,they're so curious the little imps!

Where to see them?

try everywhere,almost!

All over the roof of the local Parliament Buildings in downtown Bridgetown,sometimes?

- NOT at the Port,however!

Just about anywhere there are trees and bush

but a lot depends on the time of day, and pure Luck.

Aplemac..those monkey photos are wonderful so thanks for sharing. As for as my shore tours, sounds like the monkey sanctuary could be my first choice and Harrison Cave second. Being a solo traveler, I stick to the ship tours. It would be wonderful if the monkeys and cave were combined on ONE tour!

I just read something amusing, that is these green monkeys have a tendency to steal alcoholic beverages. Some seem to prefer the spiked drinks to regular fruit juice. Hey why drink plain punch when one can steal some RUM punch?

To top that the drunk monkey seemed to healthier than the sober ones. Of course I read this about the monkeys in St Kitts, so maybe the Bajan monkeys are teetotalers...I don't know?

As for as my shore tours

sounds like the monkey sanctuary could be my first choice

and Harrison Cave second. ===> on the way back!

Being a solo traveler, I stick to the ship tours.

It would be wonderful if the monkeys and cave were combined on ONE tour!

Those two venues are not that far apart.

Harrison's Cave is Central and the Wildlife Reserve is North-Central.

Not sure how the tours run,

but wouldn't be surprised if you can get one that does both!

Speak to Sarah T at Glory Tours

(go to the Barbados Ports-of-Call pages) and talk to her.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=124

I just read something amusing, that is these green monkeys have a tendency to steal alcoholic beverages. Some seem to prefer the spiked drinks to regular fruit juice. Hey why drink plain punch when one can steal some RUM punch?

To top that the drunk monkey seemed to healthier than the sober ones.

Of course I read this about the monkeys in St Kitts, so maybe the Bajan monkeys are teetotalers...I don't know?

It may simply be a case of access to alcohol.

In Barbados we don't like to 'encourage' our monkeys too much

because they can turn nasty on rare occasion

particularly males that have been brought up from little,in the household

and do nicely until they start to mature and get all hormonal!

I believe the St.Kitts monkey and ours

are both the same West African vervet species

that was brought over(introduced) along with the slave trade,

back in the 1600s and 1700s

along with the two African Baobab trees we have here on the island

See one such tree at my webpage..

http://www.angelfire.com/wizard2/cncisland/bigships/baobab.html

We were at the Wildlife Reserve around 11AM and saw tons of monkeys. They came right up to us! It is an awesome experience. Our taxi driver said that you can see them there just about any time of day. Our schedule just didn't fit with getting there at "feeding time" but we weren't disappointed!

It may simply be a case of access to alcohol.

In Barbados we don't like to 'encourage' our monkeys too much

because they can turn nasty on rare occasion

particularly males that have been brought up from little,in the household

and do nicely until they start to mature and get all hormonal!

I believe the St.Kitts monkey and ours

are both the same West African vervet species

that was brought over(introduced) along with the slave trade,

back in the 1600s and 1700s

along with the two African Baobab trees we have here on the island

See one such tree at my webpage..

http://www.angelfire.com/wizard2/cncisland/bigships/baobab.html

Trees are cool as well. Thanks for sharing the boabab photos !

Let me guess that people who live near monkeys don't find them as amusing as tourist do? Whatever i see in Barbados, I look forward to visiting the island. The tourist guidebooks claim that Barbados is very British culturally with cricket and high tea.

We were at the Wildlife Reserve around 11AM and saw tons of monkeys. They came right up to us! It is an awesome experience. Our taxi driver said that you can see them there just about any time of day. Our schedule just didn't fit with getting there at "feeding time" but we weren't disappointed!

Sounds good to me..I'll book that tour when it becomes available.

Trees are cool as well. Thanks for sharing the baobab photos ! ===> Glad you liked them!

Let me guess that people who live near monkeys don't find them as amusing as tourist do? ===> Just talk to kitchen garden farmers!:mad:

Whatever i see in Barbados, I look forward to visiting the island.

The tourist guidebooks claim that Barbados is very British culturally

with cricket and high tea. ===> yeah..kinda, but let's not overdo it

Green monkeys can also be very destructive...

they'll go thru a whole garden bed of cabbages,

taking a bite out of every single one...wasteful in their ignorance!

Kinda pixxes off the local farmer guy

who's been watching that bed of cabbages for 2 months now. :mad:

here's another shot of one of the cheeky devils

sitting on my front lawn, eating oranges from my Mandarin Orange tree

like he owns the place!? - :eek:

Enough of talking about it now some action on my part... I just booked this tour from Carnival's website ! Hopefully it will be worth it. I know, typical dumb tourist...what can I say?

"4 x 4 adventure and green monkey encounter"

Quote From Carnival's website...

" Explore the lush interior of Barbados and discover the fascinating world of the Green Monkey.

On this excursion you will:

Depart from the pier and be introduced you to your 4x4 safari vehicle. Ride inland towards the wildlife reserve.

Experience the natural beauty of the island, especially as you drive through Scotland district's spectacular scenery.

Encounter, within the wildlife reserve, the world famous Bajan Green Monkey.

Learn about the monkey responsible for 70% of the world’s Polio vaccine.

Enjoy a walk along the shady paths of the reserve and discover the habits of these exceptional creatures.

Note: Minimum age is 5 years, a parent or guardian must accompany a child. Not recommended for pregnant women or guests with back/neck injuries or heart conditions.

Refreshments and snacks are provided. Restrooms are available at the wildlife reserve and the Adventureland Cabin "

We did this tour last Januray 2007. We saw 1 green monkey in a tree during the drive to the park, another one in a cage in front of a guy's house, and then when we got to the game reserve, we were a bit early. We stood around and only one or two green monkeys came in towards the end of the afternoon. by then it was time for us to get back on the van and head back to the cruise ship. Overall we were disappointed about the paucity of green monkeys we saw.

We are debating on doing it, but don't want to spend the money if we only get to see a few fleeting glimpses.

It would be worth it if they come up to you, and you and you can feed them, get pics with them (or of them), close to you.

Thanks.

We did this tour last Januray 2007. We saw 1 green monkey in a tree during the drive to the park, another one in a cage in front of a guy's house, and then when we got to the game reserve, we were a bit early. We stood around and only one or two green monkeys came in towards the end of the afternoon. by then it was time for us to get back on the van and head back to the cruise ship. Overall we were disappointed about the paucity of green monkeys we saw.

thanks for the feedback. I guess I'll still take my chances. The Safari bus ride was fun, wasn't it?

Any suggestions? We have hired a private driver and car from Johnson's. What do you have for ideas for me? We want to see the monkeys and natural reserve.

Last time we signed up for the Monkey encounter 4X4 and it was canceled at the last minute. We were stuck at the terminal with no place to go!

We found a private tour that took us to the most beautiful botanical gardens! They were near Rockley beach, our other stop. We had the best time!

Does anyone know the name of the botanical gardens near Rockley Beach? Also the name of some little restraunt accross the street from the beach. We loved it! Like a simple basic one.

Thank you

Any suggestions? We have hired a private driver and car from Johnson's. What do you have for ideas for me? We want to see the monkeys and natural reserve.

Last time we signed up for the Monkey encounter 4X4 and it was canceled at the last minute. We were stuck at the terminal with no place to go!

We found a private tour that took us to the most beautiful botanical gardens! They were near Rockley beach, our other stop. We had the best time!

Does anyone know the name of the botanical gardens near Rockley Beach? Also the name of some little restraunt accross the street from the beach. We loved it! Like a simple basic one.

Thank you

sounds like you might be asking your driver to take you to the nature reserve? Good luck!

They canceled your shore excursion and you were stuck? Yikes ! That's a bummer. Since I booked my tour all ready, the better not cancel it on me without offering me the chance to transfer to another comparable tour.

Does anyone know the name of the botanical gardens near Rockley Beach? Also the name of some little restaurant across the street from the beach.

We loved it! Like a simple basic one.

The name of the 'restaurant' (fast-food outlet) was CHEFETTE Rockley

and they make the best pizza on the island

right there at that particular branch - at least to my 'discerning' taste :)

As for the gardens near that area, I'm at a loss...at least until you come up with a name!

Archived