Mexico -- East vs. West Coast

stobe1

Hello everyone. This is my first post here, so please be gentle! My wife and I just recently became cruise addicts, and the only rehab we seem to find is actually taking a cruise yearly.

We have sailed Royal Caribbean mostly, but are looking to spread out our experiences a bit. We have never sailed the West coast of Mexico and was just wondering if there are any differences from the East coast of Mexico. On our last cruise we took in May on Royal Caribbean's Rhapsody of the Seas, we loved the ship, but hated half the ports. The ship went to Cozumel, Mexico; Roatan, Honduras; Costa Maya, Mexico and Progreso, Mexico. We loved Roatan and we had been to Cozumel before. However, we were extremely disappointed in Costa Maya and Progreso. It was dirty, not very scenic, very industrial and just all around scary (not typically where I want to be going on vacation).

We are now considering taking the Oosterdam in March to Mexico's west coast. This would be our first time experience with both Holland America and with the West coast of Mexico, stopping in Cabo, Mazatlan and Puerto Vallarta. Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated.

Thanks!!!

We have been on the east coast many times, but next week we will be on the Ryndam going to the west coast for the first time. I will write a review when we get back and tell you what think about the west side vs the east side.

Love the Mexican Riviera MUCH more... if you've never been - there really is much to see and do. Cabo is fantasic (I'll give you my link to the pics from our last Mexican Rivera Cruise) also - if you do the 10-day, you have additional fantastic ports.

We were on the eastern side once and truthfully, in our minds it did not compare.

The only port on the Mexican Riviera we don't care for lately (also being phased out) is Acapulco.

http://travel.webshots.com/album/553566338KMSyVd

Welcome to the HAL CC board!

I much prefer the Mexican West Coast over the East Coast. The temperatures are a little less extreme and, more importantly, the humidity tends to be a little less (Cabo, for instance, is a desert environment).

Check out my photos of two cruises on the Oosterdam:

2005 cruise on the Oosterdam

2006 cruise on the Oosterdam

We enjoyed the west coast much more than the east coast. We have been to Cabo, Puerto Vallarta, Acapulco and Huatulco on the west coast. If you are interested I would recommend the zip lines in PV. It was an amazing experience!

The west coast (with the exception of Acapulco) is far superior to the east coast. Mazatlan is, to my mind, the best port in Mexico - it's a real city, not dependent on the tourist trade. But it's also a big city, so it has everything you want in a port.

Cabo is the most beautiful port in Mexico, and attuned to the tourist who is over 21 and not looking for a cheap drunk.

Puerto Vallarta is at least as good as Cozumel, but with more variety. Acapulco isn't what it once was - it's a good place to stay aboard an extra day.

........We are now considering taking the Oosterdam in March to Mexico's west coast. This would be our first time experience with both Holland America and with the West coast of Mexico, stopping in Cabo, Mazatlan and Puerto Vallarta. Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated. Thanks!!!

Mexico -- East vs. West Coast ..... personally my choice would be the Caribbean. We have done them all and do not find the west coast Mexico just as third world as the east coast. One thing I would find superior on the eastern side is the Mayan ruins that are not available on the western side. The beachs and water temp are superior on the eastern side.

But if you have not done the Caribbean, I would think about it over anywhere in Mexico.

But if you have not done the Caribbean, I would think about it over anywhere in Mexico.

We have been all over the Caribbean, both east, west and south but we want to do the west coast of Mexico because it is something different for us, and it's and excuse to spend a few days in California before the cruise!

From a personal pespective, go do the west coast on Oosterdam. (and spend an extra day or two in San Diego pre or post cruise - a great city!). The three ports on the 7-dayer (Cabo San Lucas, Puerto Vallarta and Mazatlan) are your average tourist attractions and have been that way for years! You'll find everything there that you'll find in Cozumel or Cancun.

Having said that, Cabo and PV are port cities where you can easily stroll for a while and take in the sights. Mazatlan is somewhat deceptive because, for a first-time visitor, the scenery is that of an industrial port which it is. It does have some scenic area's on the other side (opposite of the port). In all three of these ports, you can take excursions that will take you out and away from the cities themselves and into the country for a different look (but, like been said, no archeological sites).

Now, once you've done these three, I can highly recommend the 10-day Sea of Cortez with three additioanl ports for a whole different look. Whatever you decide, have a great time!:)

I helped my grandparents deliver their yacht from San Diego to Charleston via the Panama Canal 6 years ago on her own bottom, and we cruised the West Coast of Mexico extensively. Personally, I loved the Sea of Cortez, Cabo, and Punta Mita (about 45 min from Puerto Vallarta). The Mexican Riviera has something special about it. RevNeal has it right, the climate is not stiflingly hot and humid, as Baja is a desert. I absolutely loved the West Coast, and would highly recommend that one over the East.

Cheers,

My DW and I took the 10 night Sea of Cortez on the Ryndam last April and spent one day prior and three days after the cruise in SD - wonderful! This was a fantastic vacation. Our favorite port was Loreto (Mission San Javier shore excursion led by Rodrigo). We have done the eastern coast and I agree that there are some similarities with Cozumel, et al, and PV, Mazatlan, etc. However as a previous poster noted, there is such a variety of things to do (just don't try to hike back to the cruise pier from downtwon PV, like we tried, unless you really like to walk and have a lot of time. We finally gave up and caught a cab).

I think the scenery is better on the western side and the weather was really nice. All in all, whether you go for the Oosterdam or the Ryndam, you will have a wonderful time!

In situations like this, it would be helpful if you let us know what you were interested in doing. Diving and snorkeling is clearly superior in the Caribbean, the Yucatan has it all over the West Coast for ancient ruins (though the ruins near Costa Maya were interesting), whale watching in Cabo was spectacular but you'll be there at the tail end (pun implied) of the season, and the old town in Puerto Vallarta is delightfully quaint. As someone else said, ziplining in PV was a kick, but I'm thinking they've probably franchised ziplines all over by now. For my part, I hated Cabo - too Margaritaville, with overpriced tourist traps and self-consciously fun-packed "native" bars..but other folks love it. And if you found Costa Maya threatening, you might well like its (to me) sterile, gringoized ambience. ¿Los strokes diferentes, no?

So...are you a diver? A shopper? A beach bum? A deep-sea fisherman? A drinker? Sightseer? Interested in ruins? Wildlife? It's kinda like asking whether Paris or Rome is "better." (Rome, of course. :))

We have been all over the Caribbean, both east, west and south but we want to do the west coast of Mexico because it is something different for us, and it's and excuse to spend a few days in California before the cruise!

Sounds like your choice has been made. We have done the Mexican Rivera a number of times because it is close and easy for us being on the west coast. But... it certainly would not be my first choice... but I know we will more than likely being doing it again.

Another consideration if you are looking to do time in Calif is, if your time is flexible, is to think about Alaska in the summer time. Guess you can tell I am not a big Mexican Rivera fan. Of all the places we have been..... it ranks at the bottom.... But, like I mentioned we will probably go again just because we love to be on a ship...

But as the previous poster mentions.... it all depends on what you want to do while cruising.

Costa Maya was developed expressly as a cruiseship 'stop'..and is not worth a visit whereby all 3 major cruiseship stops, PV, Mazatlan & Cabo San Lucas (w/ San Jose del Cabo close by) on the west coast Mex. Riviera are cities in their own right with long interesting histories.

Weatherwise, I totally agree with other posters that stated that its not as humid or hot as the east coast...

Besides, since u have already 'done' the east coast its time to try the west..and again I agree with the comments made re: the Sea of Cortez cruise..The railway & Copper Canyon trip are worth it all by itself..

Hope u enjoy whatever cruise u do choose!

Merry Xmas everyone!

Archived