Amadeus vs. Avalon.....which river cruise?

SF

We are seasoned cruisers with the major cruise lines but have never taken a river cruise. We are thinking of trying one next year and are in the progress of getting information. Out of the major river cruise lines we've sort of narrowed it down to either Amadeus or Avalon. Was wondering if anyone could give me some pros/cons on either line. We are in our early 50's. We'd prefer a newer ship, preferably one that has a cabin with a "French Balcony". Thinking of the Danube River Cruise as we'd like to visit Prague. Any help or information would be greatly appreciated.

We did the Danube, on the Poetry, last October. Can't say enough good things about the ship, crew or food. Being our first river cruise, we didn't know what to expect. The port visits were a bit early in the a.m. but that is nornal on river cruises. We loved the fact that we had some free time to do whatever in each city. Our cabin had a French Balcony, ample storage space and serviced twice a day. A nice mix of passengers from Canada, Australia and the US, most in their 60's-70's. We did some of their optional tours and were pleased with all but the horse show. We hope to do another Avalon cruise next year on their new ship Scenery.

gas:

Thank you for replying to my post. The Danube cruise is one of the ones we're looking at. Glad to hear you had a nice time.

Being our first river cruise, we didn't know what to expect. The port visits were a bit early in the a.m. but that is nornal on river cruises.

We hope to do another Avalon cruise next year on their new ship Scenery.

How early did you arrive at most ports?

Do you know when and what itinerary the Scenery is going to do?

We did a Budapest to Amsterdam river cruise last summer on the Avalon Tranquility. It was absolutely wonderful. The most relaxing vacation we have ever taken. The morning tours of the ports started about 8:30 or 9:00 after breakfast.There was plenty of free time in the afternoon and many evenings.The Tranquility was brand new last year and really beautiful. The service was fantastic and the food excellent.

The Scenery will cruise in France from Paris to Nice and reverse.It is being built just for the French waterways. I also would like to do that cruise sometime and also the Amsterdam to Basel cruise with some extra time in Switzerland on our own at the end.River cruising is the absolute best way to travel and I only regret that they don't go everywhere. :D

You really can't go wrong with Avalon. They are owned by Globus who are experts at all kinds of touring.I haave been on 4 Globus tours in the past and have a tour with Globus scheduled to Italy next May.Really wish they had a river cruise there but they don't.

Thank you so much for posting and for sharing your travel experiences. We are strongly thinking about taking a river cruise so all the information we can receive is so beneficial. I guess it will come down to basically price and itinerary as to which of the two we'll use.

Question:

Just wondering if it's better to take a cabin on the middle deck and have cabins above and below you or one on the top deck and have the sun deck above? Is it noisy in the top cabins since people would be walking around above you early in the morning and maybe even late at night?

Are there any pro's or con's when picking a cabin on a river cruise?

On larger cruise ships I know which cabins to pick but since this is our first river cruise I'm not too sure which would be best. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

We are seasoned cruisers with the major cruise lines but have never taken a river cruise. We are thinking of trying one next year and are in the progress of getting information. Out of the major river cruise lines we've sort of narrowed it down to either Amadeus or Avalon. Was wondering if anyone could give me some pros/cons on either line. We are in our early 50's. We'd prefer a newer ship, preferably one that has a cabin with a "French Balcony". Thinking of the Danube River Cruise as we'd like to visit Prague. Any help or information would be greatly appreciated.

We just got back from Danube Christmas Markets cruise on Amadeus' Amalegro. I wanted to post from the ship, but could only get internet connection once. I'm getting ready to write a review...hope I'll be able to answer some of your questions about Amadeus.

Gr'aunt aka Debra

• 2 weeks later...

We took Amadeus Amadagio last June from Amsterdam to Budapest. Our first river cruise. We were looking for an intimate, casual, relaxing cruise and found it! We booked the middle level, midship room with french balcony which we loved. It was nice to swing open the slider and get fresh air and hang over the rail why the world passed us by. People on the top level did complain about jogging/lounge chair movement in the morning. People on the lower level complained about engine/thruster noise. We were very pleased with the shore excursions which were included. Some were extra and we only went on a couple. Would do it again in a heartbeat!

Chesie

I did a great deal of research before booking Avalon. Avalong & Amadeus are almost idential boats. All have french balconies, both lines. They have the same amenities - reason I picked Avalon was they had the date I wanted, and also the largest cabins of any of the boats. l72 sq.ft. It was wonderful from beginning to end - can't think of one thing negative to say about any aspect of the trip. The hotels in both Budapest and Prague were great, especially Budapest - very centrally located - could walk to City Centers from either hotel. Food and accommodations on boat were great - as was the service and everything connected with the boat. Tour guides at the towns we stopped in were wonderful - all highly educated and we learned so much. If you do the Danube and go to Budapest - make sure you do the Folklore Dinner in Budapest - it was wonderful - better than the folklore dinners in Vienna and Prague - they were fun, but the one in Budapest was spectacular!

Bon Voyage...

The river cruise on the Rhine Main and Danube is one not to be missed. I have only been on the Amadagio and cannot compare. I can say that the Amadagio was great and like Chesie would do it again tomorrow. I was on the same cruise as Chesie. The food was great and the mix of nationalities was interesting. The cabins on the mid deck were excellent but not much time is spent in them as you will always be busy.

An experience not to miss.

Chesie, have you been to Egypt yet??

JM

The river cruise on the Rhine Main and Danube is one not to be missed. I have only been on the Amadagio and cannot compare. I can say that the Amadagio was great and like Chesie would do it again tomorrow. I was on the same cruise as Chesie. The food was great and the mix of nationalities was interesting. The cabins on the mid deck were excellent but not much time is spent in them as you will always be busy.

An experience not to miss.

Chesie, have you been to Egypt yet??

JM

I am very interested in doing one of these trips and would appreciate if someomeone would tell me which line these ships are connected to and is the afore mentioned Sip the Scenery ready to cruise from Paris to Nice? Thanks-

God morning,

The Scenery will sail from Chalons-sur Saone to Arles. You will arrive in Paris and after your Paris program (You stay in a wonderful hotel), you will go by coach to Chalons. At the end of your cruise you will go by coach again to Nice. There is no other way, since it is very difficult to go to the Rhone by boat from Paris and impssible to go to Nice by boat. Both strating as well as ending towns are chosen because of their location (airports) as well as general interest.

Have an enjoyable cruise

God morning,

The Scenery will sail from Chalons-sur Saone to Arles. You will arrive in Paris and after your Paris program (You stay in a wonderful hotel), you will go by coach to Chalons. At the end of your cruise you will go by coach again to Nice. There is no other way, since it is very difficult to go to the Rhone by boat from Paris and impssible to go to Nice by boat. Both strating as well as ending towns are chosen because of their location (airports) as well as general interest.

Have an enjoyable cruise

I am very interested in doing one of these trips and would appreciate if someomeone would tell me which line these ships are connected to and is the afore mentioned Sip the Scenery ready to cruise from Paris to Nice? Thanks-

Avalon owns the Scenery and it will be launched for the first time this coming spring. It is being built particularly for the French waterways as apparently the French have different regulations than the other Europeon countries.

I was on the Avalon Tranquility, Budapest to Amsterdam last July and it was fantastic. I had no complaints at all regarding this beautiful brand new ship. I would very much like to do the Avalon Scenery French cruise and I am looking forward to reviews of that cruise next year.

Archived