Spa question

hlv71

I was on Liberty in October and had a facial. I know the spa employees are there to make $$ but my girl was so pushy with the products that I was really uncomfortable. I have been to spas before and know the spiel but she was actually so aggressive that I wanted to get out of the room in a hurry! She could just not believe that I didn't want any products. I actually just wanted a treat for myself. Has anyone else had an experience like this? Of course it won't keep me from the spa on my next cruise but I was just curious!

Most spas do this, but on the ships, they can be even MORE aggressive! It's truly annoying!

It's one reason I don't make use of the spa facilities! The bad thing is, the products they tout are no better than anything you can buy in a drugstore! I know that's how they make their profit--products are almost 100% profit! But still.....

I had a facial, a hot stone massage, manicure and pedicure on the Explorer last Sept. They asked me before the treatment what I wanted to get out of it and I told them I just felt like being pampered. I asked them about a few of the products they were using, because they smelled good or felt nice, and they told me about them and the price. I did buy a couple of things, but never felt pressured and loved the treatments.

On our last RCL Cruise (AOS) a few years back we experienced this as well as several other issues that prompted us to write a several page letter to RCL.

My wife and I did a couples massage (the massage was great) but at the end the two ladies came back in, shut the door and gave us one of the hardest sales pitches I have ever heard...and that is saying something as sales is what I do.

They started by telling us about all of the toxins that were in our bodies and that we truly should purchase $500 of product to rid our bodies of these deadly poisons! O.k they didn't call them deadly but you get what I am saying. ($500...are you kidding me? Such a bargin)

I had this happen to me on our Explorer cruise, in o4', in the salon though. I had a wash and updo and my daughter the same. After we were done, she pushed all these products on me for what seemed like an eternity. Really expensive things, like hair masks and creams and non frizzy this and that. If I was to buy it all it would have come to $500 dollars! (it was a package deal :eek: OMG!!)

I felt uncomfortable and left with one $25 product which I really did want to try. I did complain later on that day to guest relations. I hate that so much.

After that, I have never stepped foot in a ship salon.

Never had this happen in the spas, (yet) and myself and hubby frequent them on every cruise.

When you fill out the spa form at the top in big bold letters NO SALES PITCH! PLEASE!! I also tell the person up front that if I'm interested in a product then I will ask and purchase.

This keeps the agressive sales person at bay. I do buy, but I know what products I want and what products I don't want.

I had a spa package on Mariner in September and was stunned when the young lady didn't make a pitch for me to buy a single item.

As a thank you, I handed her $20 in cash and commented that I appreciate her not being pushy.

I wonder how much they make on the items, or if they have quotas to meet?

I had a "special" package on my last cruise (Serenade Panama Repo), which was a first for me. I wish I could say it was an experience I really want to repeat .. but the truth is that it wasn't. The young girl gave me good service until she mentioned the products and I told her I wanted time to think about it. She quit her spiel and said I could find my way to the thermal suite when I was ready. I was really disappointed in the change of attitude and feel that I should have mentioned it at the spa desk when I left, but didn't want to make a fuss. Next time I will say something because whether we purchase or not, all spa customers should be treated with respect. Next trip I will be buying the thermal suite package only.

Anne

Archived