snorkeling

abhb

We are going to be in Cozemel in late January. What will the weather be like? Need to find a good snorkeling spot. Last time we were there I had a broken wrist and couldn't do any water activities. I heard the snorkeling is wonderful there. Are the ruins worth seeing? I have gotten mixed reviews on them. Any other suggestions for things to do besides shopping?

We are going to be in Cozemel in late January. What will the weather be like? Need to find a good snorkeling spot. Last time we were there I had a broken wrist and couldn't do any water activities. I heard the snorkeling is wonderful there. Are the ruins worth seeing? I have gotten mixed reviews on them. Any other suggestions for things to do besides shopping?

Some of the best shore snorkeling can be had via taxi. Chankanabb Park charges an entry fee, Dzul Ha doesn't. Some of the resorts might be ok for snorkeling, but we have been happy with CP and DH. The San Gervasio ruins are small but interesting, but I would save the ruins tour for another port. Coz has too many great beaches and resorts to visit. We have been to the island 7 times and never tire of it.

Check out www.cozumelmycozumel.com and www.cozumelinsider.com for more info on everything,

Hi,

We were in Cozumel a few days ago. First, I would strongly advise against booking snorkeling tours on the pier. We paid $40 each to go to two "beautiful snorkeling stops." As it turns out, they were less than a hundred yards from shore in front of the city, between the two cruiseship ports. The view (above water) was repulsive -- concrete, buildings and highway. The captain never switched off the engine, so we were inhaling exhaust through our snorkels throughout, while cleverer people than we just got into the water directly from the shore and snorkeled the same spots for free. If you want to identify specifically this tour operator, they wear white shirts that say "punta langosta" and their "glass bottom boat" leaves right from almost the very tip of the cruiseship pier.

With that said, we did see quite a number of fish. Next time, though, we'll go to the Chankanaub park which is right there for a quarter of the price by taxi.

We were also told that the best snorkeling is on the far (northeast) side of the island.

With that said, we did see quite a number of fish. Next time, though, we'll go to the Chankanaub park which is right there for a quarter of the price by taxi.

That's good advice for a whole day of fun that includes snorkeling from shore

We were also told that the best snorkeling is on the far (northeast) side of the island.
I don't believe this to be quite accurate. The usually advice is to be extremely careful in the water on the East side of the island due to dangerous currents and waves. I think the best snorkeling would be on Palancar Reef which is on the southern end of the West side of the island. You would need to do a boat snorkel trip to get there. The onsite dive shop at Playa Palancar does a snorkel trip there as will Eagleray Divers if you do their 3 reef snorkel trip.

I was in Cozumel last week for five nights. We rented an old VW convertible from Rentadora ISIS for $35 per day (included all but the $400 deductible should be be in an accident) and drove around the island stopping a several snorkel spots. Playa Corona is very simple but we enjoyed the snorkeling and only purchased a beer and some bottled water. There was no pressure to purchase more. I found this link for some pictures of the place http://cozumelmexico.net/Playa_Corona.html

Also enjoyed snorkeling at Dzu-Ha which is now called The Money Bar. As a matter of fact, we took a snorkeling tour on another day and one of the sites we snorkled was offshore from The Money Bar. I think I'd stick to just going on my own.

We were there a couple of weeks ago and spent the day at Palmar Beach Club. It was not at all crowded.....we had snacks and spent the day going back and forth between their pool and the beach. They have a man-made sand beach and easy water access for snorkeling. The water was a very comfortable temp. We were able to see lots of fish not all far from shore. The two gentlemen working could not have been nicer. We did not have to pay an entry fee...but we did have two drinks and some snacks. We were able to rent masks and fins.

We were there a couple of weeks ago and spent the day at Palmar Beach Club. It was not at all crowded.....we had snacks and spent the day going back and forth between their pool and the beach. They have a man-made sand beach and easy water access for snorkeling. The water was a very comfortable temp. We were able to see lots of fish not all far from shore. The two gentlemen working could not have been nicer. We did not have to pay an entry fee...but we did have two drinks and some snacks. We were able to rent masks and fins.

Been there. Done that. Good call.;)

Do you have prices and a link for Palmar Beach Club? I'm going to try and find one now. Thanks!

Also, of our three Western Caribbean ports, which is best for snorkeling:

Grand Cayman

Cozumel

Ocho Rios

I figured we might snorkel at Eden Rock or Sunset House on Grand Cayman because anything on your own is so pricey there. What do you all think?

Thanks!

http://www.cozumelinsider.com has info on all the various beaches. Maybe it will help you. We paid no entry fee at Palmar....just purchased food which seemed very reasonable if I remember correctly. The mango daquiris were $5.00 each! The pool/snack bar is across street from beach. Down from Palmar's beach area is Dzul Hua...neither area was very crowded when we were there mid December. My DH rented fins and mask....(he has his own snorkel)....it was $6.00 to rent both.

http://www.cozumelinsider.com has info on all the various beaches. Maybe it will help you. We paid no entry fee at Palmar....just purchased food which seemed very reasonable if I remember correctly. The mango daquiris were $5.00 each! The pool/snack bar is across street from beach. Down from Palmar's beach area is Dzul Hua...neither area was very crowded when we were there mid December. My DH rented fins and mask....(he has his own snorkel)....it was $6.00 to rent both.

Thanks, DanceMom. The website for Palmar says it charges an entry fee of $8 adults, $5 children, but that includes admission to the Butterfly Sanctuary and there is a $2 coupon. Did you do the Butterfly Sanctuary? Maybe you don't have to? The food at the snack bar looks like it's only nachos? What did you do for lunch?

Here's the link. http://www.cozumelinsider.com/Palmar?From=Coupons

We'll be there on the 28th and are trying to decide between Paradise Beach, Chankanaab and Palmar/DZul. I saw a post here that said Dzul is now called The Money Bar. Did you find that so?

Thanks again!

Archived