Port, Starboard or Aft

taxmantoo

Booked on a Baltic Cruise next summer docking in Copenhagen, Warnemunde, Tallin, St. Petersburg, Helsinki and Stockholm.

We now have a starboard mini-suite with balcony booked but notice that aft mini-suites are still available on the same deck. Does anyone have any comments on which would be best for our itinerary: Port, Starboard or Aft balcony?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We had an aft cabin on our Mediterranean cruise and loved it!!!!! Now I know why the aft cabins usually go first. They are much bigger and you can see both sides of the ship. What a way to see Venice as we were leaving.... Also, we always like the port side of the ship so you can see the cities.....

Booked on a Baltic Cruise next summer docking in Copenhagen, Warnemunde, Tallin, St. Petersburg, Helsinki and Stockholm.

We now have a starboard mini-suite with balcony booked but notice that aft mini-suites are still available on the same deck. Does anyone have any comments on which would be best for our itinerary: Port, Starboard or Aft balcony?

I think I would switch to aft if it is still an option for this cruise. You listed your ports but probably haven't received a lot of answers because the ships visit those ports in different order, so the "best" side will vary depending on your itinerary. In Stockholm, it should make too much difference because port side will have better scenery going into port and starboard will have better scenery sailing out of the port. If I recall correctly, the abandoned naval station that gets a lot of attention leaving St. Petersburg is on the starboard side sailing out of that port. In Warnemunde, the locals turn out in masses to see you off, so you'll have lots of small boats all around the ship and lots of passengers at the rails. We've docked in Warnemunde and in Rostock, and I think the locals were watching from the port side as we left Warnemunde. I don't remember a huge advantage one way or the other in the other ports just off the top of my head. Overall, I think the aft would be best, but you'll probably want to go out on the open decks for some of the scenic sailing in the Swedish archipelago anyway.

Have a great cruise,

Donna

Archived