Burano & Murano in Venice

Hi,

Does anyone know if Murano & Burano is worth the trip?

Last time we were in Venice we went to Murano. We sat down had lunch and then left. I know they offered me a glass of wine. The alcohol content was so high I don't emember much after one glass. It was worth it for the ride over to the Island. Dh bought me a small mirror that is now hanging in our home.

We did the classic "Three Island Tour" in a private water taxi with a private guide.

It is certainly not one of the highlights of our Med cruise. It was pleasant enough to motor across the canals to the first island, Torcello. The only thing there is an old church, older than St. Mark's. I've seen lots of old churches.;)

Then we went to Burano. It is a beautiful little place with bright colors on the buildings. It is known as the lace island, and we saw a demonstration of lace making. (In fact, little lace is made there now.)

Finally we went to Murano. As we were on a private tour we had a special visit to an "exclusive" glass factory. We saw the usual glass blowing demonstration and then visited their showroom which is almost a museum, with lots of wonderful art works in glass as well as the usual more touristy items for sale.

It was an interesting enough way to spend an afternoon. I honestly think there are lots of other attractions in Venice I would do in preference, though.

Check out our review and pics at

http://www.elite.net/~thehalls/holyland3.html

Have a GREAT cruise.

If this is your first time in Venice, and especially if you are only there for a day or two, I would save Murano and Burano for another time. But if you are in Venice for several days and want a break from the crowds, then I would choose Burano over Murano. Very small and picturesque with a street of nice restaurants for lunch. It has the usual little shops and many lace shops and it was fun to walk along the canals. The lace museum is interesting but not something I would highly recommend. It is a very different experience than Venice.

Burano is really nice. Skip Murano. It is a small island that is basically a tourist trap. You can buy the same glass anywhere in Venice and for just as "reasonable" a price.

Burano is a bigger, more interesting island. It is a little Venice with small canals and pastel colored houses. I bought some nice things there and had them sent home. They got there about three weeks later all intact.

It is definitely worth a trip to Burano if you have three days in Venice. If you only have two- I'd skip it.

As the others say, depends how long you will be in Venice.

I found the glass blowing exhibition in the factory on Murano to be interesting, but didn't buy anything.

in the interest of saving you time here is the glass blowing demonstration :D

We took the ship's tour to Murano and gondola ride becuase one of our travel partners was short of time and they had been to Venice before and missed going on a gondola and we wanted to see the glass demo.

When I was in Murano, we went to a glass museum. I found it more interesting than watching someone blow glass again. However I agree with the OP that it depends on how much and how many times you have been to Venice.

This past trip I did the "secret itinerary tour at the Doges Palace." For me it was a better choice and it allowed me to spend the time rambling around the city and visiting with friends.

Fran

• 2 weeks later...
Hi,

Does anyone know if Murano & Burano is worth the trip?

I've spent 44 days (and counting!) in Venice so have strong opinions on this subject. If you are in Venice less than 3 days, I recommend that you stay in Venice. If you are not interested in glass, you may be disappointed in Murano because it is not as scenice as the other islands. Burano is fabulous though and is just a riot of color. Burano and Torcello is a great day for those staying in Venice.

If you go to Murano, don't be talked into a "free" ride by one of the hawkers that you'll meet in Venice; these hawkers get as much as 40% of the price you pay for glass, and this leaves the factories at a disadvantage when bargaining with you.

Have a great trip,

Donna

We spent five days post cruise in Venice this past July. This was our third time to Venice and we had never visitied the outer islands. We spent a day visiting Murano, Torcello, and Burano.

Burano was definitely our favorite. (mitaxi-love your pics!) We really enjoyed strolling the picture-perfect canals.

However, I agree with the other posters. There's so much to see and do in Venice that I would focus here unless I had more than 3 days.

Archived