Ask Andy About Costa Cruises and Other Great Tips

RichieRocket

Andy has been very informative and helpful for me in doing research for my upcoming cruise on Costa Fortuna and I thought I would group most of the tips and great info and answers to questions in one topic. Thus why I called this topic Ask Andy About Costa Cruises and Other Great Tips.

OUTLETS:

All of Costa's ship have both, 110V and 220V outlets...

Just came back off the Fortuna, and (as on all other Costa ships) you will find BOTH, the American 110 V outlets as well as the European 220 V outlets... so no need for a converter.

There is an additional outlet in the bathroom (towards the ceiling) for razors ONLY!

Costa does warn now in writing, that irons or power strips are NOT allowed... just throwing this out.

In suites, you usually find at least 2 outlets of each kind (110/220 V).

FRIDGE & SAFE:

All cabins have both features, regardless of category

The small fridge will have some stuff in it (like a mini bar), but you can certainly move things around to put your personal items in the fridge.

Also, there is a safe in the cabin, which will be operated with your Costa card (which is your cashless card, room key, ID, etc.). Simply swipe the card to lock, and swipe again to unluck. Make sure to use the same card though! It will NOT work if you swipe your card to LOCK it and trying to UNLOCK it with your spouse's card for example.

LANGUAGES SPOKEN:

I honestly don't think you really notice the multiple languages... certainly does not bother me a bit, even if they would announce it in 8 or 10 different languages... maybe it is even a start of learning a new language?

By the end of the cruise you should at least know that deck/floor = ponte (ital.) and you will be able to count from 0 to 12 in Italian, if you use the elevators... LOL Kind of cool, I think!

FOOD OPTIONS DURING DAY: Costa Fortuna

Breakfast:

- Breakfast in the cabin - 7:00 AM to 10:00 AM

- Breakfast buffet (Decks 9+10) - 7:30 AM to 10:00 AM

- Late breakfast (Deck 9) - 9:00 AM to 11:30 AM

- Formal breakfast in the dining rooms - 7:45 AM to 9:30 AM

Lunch:

- Lunch buffet (Decks 9+10) - Noon to 2:30 PM

- Pool Grill 1 - Noon to 2:30 PM

- Pool Grill 2 - 1:00 PM to 3:00 PM

- Formal lunch in the dining rooms - Noon to 1:30 PM

Keep in mind that during breakfast and lunch there is NO TABLE RESERVATION and is considered OPEN SEATING... sit wherever you like!

Pizza:

- Pizzeria (Deck 9) - 11:30 AM to 1:30 AM

Tea:

- Afternoon Tea (Deck 9) - 3:45 PM to 4:45 PM

- Musical Tea (Deck 5) - 3:45 to 4:45 PM

IRONING / CLOTHES CARE:

Take along Downy Wrinkle Release. As irons of any kind are strictly prohibited in all cabins, this is an easy way of getting rid of stubborn wrinkles in your gowns and outfits.

Simply spray on your shirt, pants, dress, tuck and hang it up. You can almost watch the wrinkles go away. You’ll find this product in the fabric softener isle of may drugstores and super centers (e.g. Wal-Mart, Target, etc.). Comes in a white bottle with pink and blue design and is available in two sizes: travel size and regular size spray bottle. If you are traveling with several people or family, go with the large size (16 oz / 500 ml).

MIX DRINKS:

When ordering a mix drink while sunbathing on deck, sitting at the bar or in the theatre, make sure to ask for the Special of the Day (also printed in your onboard paper “TODAY”). If you are thirsty, ask for the “XL Size” instead of the regular size. Great value at only .50 or .75 more (don’t know if that is still accurate). Sometimes they run out of large glasses though… Cheers!

BEER:

As far as I know they did not have any DRAFT beers at all... All beers are either bottle or can...

Another well kept secret, as we are at the subject of drinking. If you like beer and are unfamiliar with the German Beers, your Costa cruise may be an ideal time to sample. For only pennies more you can order a Weissbier (Bavarian Wheat Ale), but the size is almost double from a regular Bud. And it sure tastes like beer should be tasting! :-)

(Grew up in Munich, so beer IS important to me)

PHOTOS:

Check your pictures in the gallery on a regular basis, but wait until the end of the cruise to purchase them. If you buy multiple pictures you may even negotiate a deal, especially on the last night. We got some great deals out of it in the past. Well worth waiting, rather than buying the pictures day by day.

SPA:

There are Spa Packages available for purchase online, which include all kind of treatments. I did that last time as a present for my wife, but I found out that some of the daily specials were cheaper then the package deal. Costa was really great and did NOT charge me the package price, but rather gave me the special prices. Saved me about $ 100 total. Not a bad deal! Make sure to check the specials in the “TODAY”. If you want to pamper yourself or spouse during a “at sea” day, make sure to call early in the morning to make a reservation.

TOGA NIGHT:

Make sure to put a set of clothes aside for you to wear AFTER the toga party for the next morning. On the last night, all luggage has to be out in the hallways by 1:00 AM. If (and hopefully you will) you do participate in the Toga Celebration, you need to change afterwards, unless you want to wear your toga when disembarking. On all past three Costa cruises we have in deed seen puzzled passengers at the Guest Relationship Desk, still dressed in their toga… obviously Costa wanted the bed sheet back and the customers were trying to find a way to get off the ship in regular clothes. Pretty funny and always good for a good laugh at the end of a wonderful cruise vacation!

HIDDEN DOORS:

Make sure to walk along deck 9 all the way forward. You'll find two doors on each side of the ship which will lead to the outdoor deck above the bridge... Awesome place to take pictures and to watch the scenery. Similar decks are on deck 5, 6 and 7. If it doesn't say "DO NOT ENTER" or "CREW ONLY" open it and take a look - be adventurous!

BUFFET MAGNIFICO & KITCHEN TOUR:

Make sure to attend the Buffet Magnifico. This will be held on Night # 6 (after the second formal night) and will take place in the main dining room (Mediterranea) / both restaurants (Magica/Fortuna). Make sure you go to Deck 4 BEFORE they open the buffet lines. This will enable you to take some really nice photos and/or video.

On the Magica/Fortuna ship they will even give you a kitchen tour. You'll enter through the mid-ship restaurant, go through the kitchen and are able to be seated in the aft restaurant to eat all the goodies you picked up along the way. Even if you had late seating and are still full from dinner, make sure to at least look at the absolutely phenomenal ice/cheese carvings and the Art of Food the Costa crew is putting together! Amazing!

ALARM CLOCK:

For those who are on a schedule (even during vacation) you may want to bring your own travel alarm. There is no alarm clock in the cabins and unless you have an inner body alarm you'll have to call for a wake up call through the customer service desk...

I personally don't bring one, as it is vacation and time is absolutely the last thing I want to worry about... but I thought I might share it.

DISEMBARKATION:

Costa also offered a self-embarkation for the first 600 guests who register with the Customer Service Desk. Keep in mind that those who choose this early option MUST handle their own luggage rather than utilizing crew assistance and should not have any pre-arranged transfer. This is ideal if you want to embark early and have your car parked in the garage and provide your own transportation

HERE ARE SOME LINKS TO OTHER GREAT TOPICS FROM ANDY:

Here is a Topic Andy Started back in September…

Costa Secrets Unveiled & Other Travel Tips

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=635125

Andy’s Costa Fortuna Review – Sailing 12/09/07-12/16/07

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=676111

Thanks again Andy, ;)

OK now for my newest question for Andy.

We are sailing on the Fortuna on Jan 6 from Ft. Lauderdale. (Western Caribbean)

The Ship arrives in from the previous weeks cruise at 8am on Sunday and for our cruise it departs at 7pm

(Later than the last few weeks of cruises at 4:30 like yours)

My question is do you think it would be ok to get to the Pier at 11-11:30 still or do you think with a later ship departure they would start embarkation later also?

Hi Andy,

My other half asked me to inquiry about the room service menu. Was it somewhat limited? I know you were in a suite, so you might have had more of a selection. Any input would be nice.

Rocket:

Well first of all I have to say that I'm humbled by your comments and your thread... wow... didn't know that I actually could become famous BEFORE I pass away! :D

Honestly... Thank you, but I just enjoying helping people...

We haven't done the Western route in a while, but I'd say they probably won't start embarking until 12:00 noon. If you want to be there at 11:30 AM you should be fine and at least will be able to get rid of your luggage. Although there is not much to do at the pier or port, you might as well stick it out and be one of the first one's to get on board. The majority of the group will probably not arrive until the later afternoon, maybe around 3:00 AM. What time of embarkation is printed in your tickets?

If you deduct about 2-2 1/2 hours of that printed time, you most likely will have a chance of early embarkation.

tommI:

Yes, Suites will actually enjoy a different (more elaborate) room service menu, as Suite passenger are able to order directly from the restaurant menu for all three services (breakfast, lunch and even dinner). For "regular" staterooms, the room service menu is somewhat limited, usually to stuff like snacks and sandwiches.

You can, however, simply go upstairs to Deck 9, load up a few slices of pizza or whatever else you want from the buffet and take it back to your cabin... that's what we did the first year when we cruised "interior" style.

Just my thought...

Rocket:

We haven't done the Western route in a while, but I'd say they probably won't start embarking until 12:00 noon. If you want to be there at 11:30 AM you should be fine and at least will be able to get rid of your luggage. Although there is not much to do at the pier or port, you might as well stick it out and be one of the first one's to get on board. The majority of the group will probably not arrive until the later afternoon, maybe around 3:00 AM.

What time of embarkation is printed in your tickets?

If you deduct about 2-2 1/2 hours of that printed time, you most likely will have a chance of early embarkation.

On the Cruise Ticket it shows...

Embarkation Time 13:30 (1:30pm)

Final Boarding Time 20:30

Departure Time 21:30

Which is confusing because on the Cruise page of the booklet is says departure time is 19:00 (Which is the Same on all Cruise sites I checked)

On the Cruise Ticket it shows...

Embarkation Time 13:30 (1:30pm)

Final Boarding Time 20:30

Departure Time 21:30

Which is confusing because on the Cruise page of the booklet is says departure time is 19:00 (Which is the Same on all Cruise sites I checked)

Wow?! That is something new... Unless Costa changed something from previous Western runs, departure time was always 7:00 PM (19:00) in the past... Never heard of such a late departure, like 9:30 PM...

What is your first stop on the itinerary? Key West? Or are you going straight to Cozumel as your first port of call?

I'd say if you're at the port at around 11:30 to noon, you should be in good shape... maybe some returning cruisers going on the Western run can shine some real light into the subject of departure time.

Yep its Cozumel

Sun - FLL

Mon - At Sea

Tues- Cozumel

Wed - Grand Cayman

Thu - Ocho Rios Jamaica

Fri - Grand Turks

Sat - At Sea

Sun - FLL

Thanks for the info we will get at the port 11:30 to Noon time

As far as the Departure time I'm betting its still 7pm because it even says that on the Costa Website for our cruise that week ( I just checked )

I think that sounds reasonable... (and for sure more correct than 9:30 PM)... better be there at the earlier time than seeing your cruise ship from behind :rolleyes:

I liked the Western route, with Grand Cayman being my favorite stop on this run. They added Grand Turks, which I have never been to... I look forward to your review and experience.

Cozumel is a nice stop. Rented a Jeep the last time to get around the island. The North shore has some awesome beaches and (if you just pull off the road) you are right there at the beach... and in most cases all by yourself... the Lighthouse within the National Park is nice to visit as well... lots of fun riding through the wilderness in one of those funky looking trucks/busses, whatever you want to call them.

Grand Cayman is awesome and beautiful and was my most favorite stop on that run... Stingray City is a lifetime experience and would definatly love to do that again! Booked it individually at the pier though and not through Costa... Keep in mind that due to the reefs, Grand Cayman is a tender port... so be prepared to be tenderized... LOL :D

Ocho Rios has it's rough areas... I would not want to get caught there by dawn or by night... some areas are downright scary. Just watch where you go... The vendors are the most pesky ones I have ever seen on ANY Caribbean island... I guess that's just Jamaica, mon!

Don't miss the Dunn's River Falls... absolutely stunning and well worth the "climbing" experience... also booked that individually, not through the ship...

Sorry... I'm going on and on already again, but I'm just putting our next cruise together... mentally at least! ;)

Hello Andy,

Got another question for you.

Were you able to use your cruise card on the final full day for purchases. I read a post from javacruiser in which they said

"we would be unable to use the sail & sign card on that last full day at sea (actually after 1am that morning....30 hours before we docked)"

Was it that way when you just sailed? or were you able to use your card for purchases that final Full day on board?

Just curious, Thanks Rich

Here is a link to that post by Javacruiser (Dec 16th post #20)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=674153

On all Costa cruises that I have been on (Mediterrean, Caribbbean / Transatlantic), the cut off time for using the Costa Card for purchases on board is 1:00 am on the day of disembarcation.

Tme frame:

01:00 am Last purchases with Costa Card (after which only cash is accepted)

04:00 Your account (bill) listing is delivered to your cabin (either under the door or in the box by your cabin.

06:00 - 08:00 In some lounge (see TODAY program) for either paying your Bill in cash or to rectifiy any problems.

07:30 onwards disembarcation

On the new ships (Fortuna and Mediterranea) you can call up your account on the TV screen. We used to check that daily so as to avoid any last minute delays in disembarcation.

Ron

Just some additional information...you are not able to use your visa/mastercard on board for any purchases after 1am either.

I mention this because if you have any photos taken of you in your elegant TOGA, they are ready for purchase the morning of disembarkation. If you think you'll be purchasing any, they only accept cash.

Hi Andy

Found your comments so informative! So helpful!

question: we have 2 kids who drink waaaay too much pop on vacation, as that is pretty much the only time I turn a blind eye!....

Last cruise we did was carnival who had wrist bands, at a cost of $30.00 per kid for unlimited pop all week.

Just finding out apparently, that Costa wants $55.00 for a booklet that only has 20 coupons each??? We'll be bankrupt!

Also read somewhere , that people were blantantly , openly bringing pop on board Costa without being stopped. We are meeting our parents at the pier, who are in FLA for a month, so I was thinking of getting them to pick us up a case of pop at a grocery store. Should we try to hide it?

Thanks!

Hi Andy

Found your comments so informative! So helpful!

question: we have 2 kids who drink waaaay too much pop on vacation, as that is pretty much the only time I turn a blind eye!....

Last cruise we did was carnival who had wrist bands, at a cost of $30.00 per kid for unlimited pop all week.

Just finding out apparently, that Costa wants $55.00 for a booklet that only has 20 coupons each??? We'll be bankrupt!

Also read somewhere , that people were blantantly , openly bringing pop on board Costa without being stopped. We are meeting our parents at the pier, who are in FLA for a month, so I was thinking of getting them to pick us up a case of pop at a grocery store. Should we try to hide it?

Thanks!

I have never been or have seen anyone being stopped by bring soda on board. BUT there is always a first time.:mad:

Suggest you break down the case and spread the contents out in your luggage and carry-ons.

Or an alternative, get your kids to carry their own soda on board, if they get stopped, just shrug your shoulder and say I don't know them!:rolleyes:

Ron

We packed 2 twelve packs of soda in our luggage and didn't have a problem. I also saw people coming back onto the ship from ports with six packs of soda. Nobody stopped them.

We did the same with soda and water at embarkation (had some in carry-on and some in checked luggage) and had no problem

Hi Andy

Hoping you can help with my question! Sailing on Fortuna Jan 20th 08 . Only one shore excursion we are planning on doing, but perhaps may try to do this on our own!!! 4 of us, hubby myself and 2 kids 14 and 18.

Very interested in doing the Ultimate Island tour. But don't want to spend the $200.00 if we don't need to.

What do you think about this? - we get a taxi off the ship...get him to take us up the "skyline drive" ? is this the name of the street? - where we could get him to stop whenever we want for photo ops. Then on to Blackbeards hill- Is this free? apparently it is a self quided tour. - from here, we would like to see Magens Bay beach......question: is it far from Blackbeards? could we grab another cab from Blackbeards to the beach? then a cab ride back to ship?

We are thinking this whole excursion , doing it ourselves might be 1/2 price or less.....

Are the establishments along the way, safe to get food/drink?

Is it a safe area overall, I assume it is.

What do you think about our low budget island tour idea?

Thanks!!

Hi Andy

Hoping you can help with my question! Sailing on Fortuna Jan 20th 08 . Only one shore excursion we are planning on doing, but perhaps may try to do this on our own!!! 4 of us, hubby myself and 2 kids 14 and 18.

Very interested in doing the Ultimate Island tour. But don't want to spend the $200.00 if we don't need to.

What do you think about this? - we get a taxi off the ship...get him to take us up the "skyline drive" ? is this the name of the street? - where we could get him to stop whenever we want for photo ops. Then on to Blackbeards hill- Is this free? apparently it is a self quided tour. - from here, we would like to see Magens Bay beach......question: is it far from Blackbeards? could we grab another cab from Blackbeards to the beach? then a cab ride back to ship?

We are thinking this whole excursion , doing it ourselves might be 1/2 price or less.....

Are the establishments along the way, safe to get food/drink?

Is it a safe area overall, I assume it is.

What do you think about our low budget island tour idea?

Thanks!!

you may have better luck asking this on the st thomas boards:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=&f=133

On the St Thomas board, you will find there are at least 3 tour companies that do tours of the Island. All go past Blackbeards, for photo ops, but you can't do the self guided tour as Blackbeards Castle now charges $22.00/pp. http://www.blackbeardscastle.com/ This includes use of their 3 swimming pools.

Here are the links to some of the tour companies. Their prices range from $20 - $35.00 depending on the tour and/or company.

http://www.eeetours.com/index.html

http://www.godfreytoursvi.com/

http://www.havefunwithus.com/

http://www.sunnylistontours.com/

As Commonsense2 said, there is a lot of info available on the St. Thomas forum, just thought I condense some of the tour sites for you. Hope you find what you are looking for.

Deb

Slippery:

St. Thomas is a very beautiful island and is in my opinion very safe. We never did any ship excursions, but rather went out ourselves to explore the island. There are plenty of taxi's at the pier (more like open pick-up trucks converted into busses) which will take you around the island and show you the sights, including photo ops. You certainly can negotiate the price and length of tour, depending on what you really like to do.

If you want a more independent experience, I'd say make a reservation for a rental car. Brand name car rental agencies such as Avis and Budget are located right on the main street across the pier area. We usally spent around $ 75-80 for the rental car (Jeep) for the day. It's a great way of exploring St. Thomas and you're able to stop when, where and for how long YOU want. Just make sure to give yourself plenty of time to return to the ship...

The little gondolas (skyline) are also located on the main street, which is actually within walking distance from the pier.

Archived