Pearl cruises cancelled

d man

There is no upgrades on suites and they are not charging a fuel surcharge.

Thanks for the clarification on the fuel surcharge - my bad.

I was aware of the no upgrades on suites, but, what I was thinking was that if you were in a suite, would you be able to rebook a lesser cabin and utilize the 2 category upgrade since you had your reservation cancelled? Or do you have to book the same category cabin, and then utilize the 2 category upgrade (which you couldn't being in a suite)?

Still a bad way of NCL going about this.

Howard

I had a cruise cancelled a couple years ago, they booked us on a different ship at the same price and gave us each a $50 onboard credit. I don't want the onboard credit, just want to be made whole. Can not understand why they would want to piss off loyal customers over $120

It's not only that they're charging more for the cabin itself, but these people that booked early were also prior to the fuel surcharge date - now they have to pay that too?

Pity the Procrastinator - yeah right! Pity the folks who have to abide by this company's inept decision making and marketing PR!

Where they simply could have called it a "ship change", which it is since the sister ship is the replacement, and all reservations could have been protected, in the same cabins, they instead chose to cancel it, terminating all reservations, raising the price of all the same cabins, and force the payment of additional fees. Our last Carnival cruise, we had a ship change about 8 months prior - exactly the same - the sister ship as the replacement and everything remained the same. No silly games of cancellation and then a forced rebook for the same cruise.

I don't care if you're in the Garden Villa or the cheapest inside cabin guarantee listed - sometimes a company simply makes the incorrect decision, which has clearly happened here.

If I had a suite, I would try to rebook the cruise using the 2 category upgrade to the highest level possible and cancel the suite and see if that works. If that didn't work, I'd reprice the cruise and all competitors with a similar itinerary around the same time with my favorite quote compete website.

This is just plain bad business. I'm very surprised.

Howard

I have to agree with you. Makes me vary wary about booking a future cruise....We put down a deposit while on our last cruise...so they have the use of our money...Not saying it will happen, but if we then booked another cruise and this situation happened to us, I do believe it would be the last time, even as a loyal NCL person..have only/always cruised with them...Still, that would about do it for me.

It is not for anyone to say "it isn't that much of an increase so we/they shouldn't get upset". I'd be damned pissed off! This is the company that does not allow you to cancel and then rebook the same cruise to get a lower price, that they maintain your information forcing you to take your original price. But, they can cancel the cruise and force you to rebook at a higher fare? What kind of crap is that? Heads I win tails you lose?Howard

But you're not forced to rebook with NCL, you're getting 100% of your fares back, and free to book with anyone you wish, including another cruise line. There's lots of cruises sailing from Miami, the world's largest cruise port.

It's not like NCL has a monopoly sailing from Miami.

But you're not forced to rebook with NCL, you're getting 100% of your fares back, and free to book with anyone you wish, including another cruise line. There's lots of cruises sailing from Miami, the world's largest cruise port.

Come on. Yeah, you are not forced to book with NCL again, but they WERE booked with NCL to their destination of choice. For those on a 9 day there aren't many others who don't offer from Miami - at least that I could find. NCL should let them transfer their reservations based on the price they reserved with.

As I said in my other post, that was one of the things I would do if I couldn't get NCL to see the light.

But, the issue boils down to what does it really mean that you have a confirmed reservation with NCL? Getting 100% of your fare back would not be acceptable if it were me had I booked earlier (Pity the Procrastinator - right?), gotten a good price, and then told if I wanted to be on the same cruise in the same cabin I'd have to rebook and pay more.

And, once again, it wouldn't be such a big issue in my mind if the company adhered to the same rules that they force on customers. The customer can't cancel and then rebook at a lower fare for the same cabin, but NCL can cancel the cruise/reservation and make the customers rebook at a higher fare for the same cruise/cabin? Where's the logic?

Can you see the problem?

It simply boils down to being fair to your customers. Good (even not so good) companies don't do that to their customers. Hey - don't get me wrong - NCL is free to do whatever they like, it's their company. However, you don't screw your customers, especially the higher paying ones while offering incentives to those paying less for a problem you caused. In the end, if they don't take care of folks like d_man, you can be sure that they'll pay (probably more) for it in future loss of business and negative word of mouth than they would by doing right thing immediately.

Howard

Sometimes, if you keep calling back, you will eventually get a rep who will see things your way. Sometimes the phone staff you get when you call is not the cream of the crop :D !

IMHO, the fair response would to offer to transfer the booking under the originally agreed terms, including pricing (and fuel surcharge.)

For the suite passengers where an upgrade is not allowed, they should have a comparable OBC or some other reasonable incentive.

My feeling is the NCL is generally fair, and forcing someone to rebook the same cabin and pay a higher rate is just not right, by anyone's standards. The peons you talk to on the phone may not be able to make things right, but be assured there are people at NCL who can. Escalate the matter until it is resolved fairly!

My 2 cents. The bookings should be transferred for the same cruise in same class without any extra being charged(including the fuel surcharge). NCL is making the change they should accommodate their already booked passengers. Its not the matter that it isn't that much more. Fair is fair and transferring to a similar ship to a similar cruise should be 1 to 1 not 1 to 1 plus.

The telephone people have limited authority. You need a real supervisor to talk to. Call the lattitudes desk(whether you are lattitudes or not) and see if they can help you...sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't if that doesn't work email one of the execs....ask for their help don't tell them they are ...well you know...

I got an e-mail announcing the cancellation of my 12/14/08 Pearl cruise on Sunday. I searched around and found a RCCL cruise on NOS for only 100.00 more and I scored free gratuaties from cruise.com. It sails from Ft Lauderdale which is a cheaper plane ticket for us. The five day cruise goes to Berlize and Cozumel. I would recommend this to anyone who had reservations for a five day trip on the Pearl.

This was going to be our first cruise on NCL and we were so looking forward to this unique itinerary. Yes, lots of ships cruise out of Miami, but I cannot find any other lines that have the same offerings.

We have sailed 4 other lines and have never been treated like this. No, I refuse to pay more...it's just not right. Plus, I picked the week, ship, and itinerary for a reason. Yes, they say Jewel is the sister ship, but unless I am missing something, they are not identical (i.e. no bowling alley). 2 category upgrade...whoopee!...I get to move up 1 floor but still have the exact same cabin type. Sorry, that's no upgrade.

I think this whole thing is being dealt with rather poorly by NCL. I so wish I'd never gotten their credit card because it will force me to give them a second chance which at this point NCL doesn't deserve.

Well I am not having much luck changing anything so far this morning. They said that no supervisor will offer price protection and by changing now they are adding on top of taxes a $100 per person non commissionable fee plus taxes. I can book the cruise we are thinking of changing to online and PAY the fuel supplement and still be ahead $60 per person. They are quoting me $629 per person plus $100 non commionsable fee, plus $63.88 taxes or a total of $792.88. If I go ahead and book online it is $629 plus $35 fuel plus $63.88 taxes or $727.88. Now I am TOTALLY confused!!!!!! YIKES!!! I guess I will try again later

If the $100 non-commissionable fee is the port charges, as I suspect it is, then you will also pay that at an online agency too, and you will not be coming out ahead after all. Sometimes they do not disclose all the fees until you are ready to pay for the booking.

If the $100 non-commissionable fee is the port charges, as I suspect it is, then you will also pay that at an online agency too, and you will not be coming out ahead after all. Sometimes they do not disclose all the fees until you are ready to pay for the booking.

OK I just went back and booked the Jewel for 2/15/09 and put a deposit and I am getting it for $727.88 per person. It did not ask for the additional $100 non comm fees. It still comes out to less than switching my current Pearl reservation and paying $629 plus the $100 plus $63.88, it just doesn't seem fair!!! Oh well, who says life is fair:cool: Will NCL ask for it when final payment is due?? Now I am really getting confused.

They said that no supervisor will offer price protection

Not meaning to be impertinent, but I do believe I'd tell that person that I'd like to hear that directly from a supervisor, and please put me through immediately. :mad: I never take a CS rep's word for what a supervisor can or cannot do, and typically view such talk as them trying to avoid having me speak to a supervisor. No deal.

I did, in fact, talk to a supervisor who advised me that NCL has "No price protection policy."

However, the NCL brochure reads:

"Once we have received your deposit of full payment, the cruise rate is secure except in the event of substantial increases in operating costs, tariffs or taxes prior to the sailing date. In such cases, we reserve the right to add a surcharge."

So NCL DOES have a price protection policy and we are being told otherwise. And the extra $100 they are trying to charge is NOT being represented as a surcharge.

I am absolutely astounded by this disservice to customers.

If I book a hotel room, and the rate goes up before I arrive, I will still get my quoted rate, even without a deposit.

If I reserve a rental car, and the rate goes up, I get my quted rate...agaain, without a deposit.

If I book a flight, and the airline changes my flight schedule or the type of aircraft I'm on, I get my quoted rate.

I have a call in to my cruise consultant at NCL (I never switched my reservation to a TA), so I'll see what she says.

But if NCL doesn't wake up, they will lose 2 (formerly) loyal customers plus a whole lot of referral business. We know at least 8 other couples who have saile NCL because of our recommendation.

I did, in fact, talk to a supervisor who advised me that NCL has "No price protection policy."

"Once we have received your deposit of full payment, the cruise rate is secure except in the event of substantial increases in operating costs, tariffs or taxes prior to the sailing date. In such cases, we reserve the right to add a surcharge."

I'm wanting to jump in on your side, lel, but I find the above statement from the NCL brochure ambiguous. It seems to me like what they're saying is once they receive full payment your price is protected, except for the right to add a surcharge. But I wouldn't bet my life on that, since they also include the word "deposit" in there -- that's what confuses the issue. :confused:

It has been years since we tried NCL and were looking forward to giving them another try and working hard towards trying to get $500 off the price using their credit card. Now I am thoroughly confused as to if I keep the online reservation I made and deposited will they add the $100 per person at a later date, or do I continue to try to change my Pearl reservation to the Jewel and pay more money. :confused:

So NCL DOES have a price protection policy and we are being told otherwise. And the extra $100 they are trying to charge is NOT being represented as a surcharge.

I am absolutely astounded by this disservice to customers.

If I book a hotel room, and the rate goes up before I arrive, I will still get my quoted rate, even without a deposit.

If I reserve a rental car, and the rate goes up, I get my quted rate...agaain, without a deposit.

If I book a flight, and the airline changes my flight schedule or the type of aircraft I'm on, I get my quoted rate.

I have a call in to my cruise consultant at NCL (I never switched my reservation to a TA), so I'll see what she says.

But if NCL doesn't wake up, they will lose 2 (formerly) loyal customers plus a whole lot of referral business. We know at least 8 other couples who have saile NCL because of our recommendation.

Many times the "supervisor" is the person in the next seat or even if they are a real supervisor they are a team leader....about the same power of a PFC in the army.... or a corporal...sometimes snail mail is better.

Archived