Pearl cruises cancelled

d man

I called and spoke to an employee that said she had just returned from vacation and that this is was all new to her, but she said we are price protected except for taxes. I told her I am totally confused, but then she offered me the same cruise fare price but with a $8.40 tax increase. I took it, of course, but I also expressed that we are all being told conflicting things and that NCL is dealing with this very poorly. She also at first just tried to give me a one category upgrade and so I read my email to her and she gave me the two category upgrade. Also, I wasn't hit with the fuel surcharge.

Too be honest, I'm not sure I really want to cruise on the Jewel (yes, I am hung up on Pearl's bowling alley), and the week I had to book forces me to take another day off work as the Pearl was over a holiday.

Darn, I wish I didn't have their credit card!

Too be honest, I'm not sure I really want to cruise on the Jewel (yes, I am hung up on Pearl's bowling alley),

Look at it this way--the lanes aren't sanctioned so 300 games don't count there anyhow ;)

I agree about the CC. Darn thing giving me 1500 off my next cruise-what a rip! ;)

I called and spoke to an employee that said she had just returned from vacation and that this is was all new to her, but she said we are price protected except for taxes. I told her I am totally confused, but then she offered me the same cruise fare price but with a $8.40 tax increase. I took it, of course, but I also expressed that we are all being told conflicting things and that NCL is dealing with this very poorly. She also at first just tried to give me a one category upgrade and so I read my email to her and she gave me the two category upgrade. Also, I wasn't hit with the fuel surcharge.

Too be honest, I'm not sure I really want to cruise on the Jewel (yes, I am hung up on Pearl's bowling alley), and the week I had to book forces me to take another day off work as the Pearl was over a holiday.

I'd be okay with increased taxes!!! You are lucky- as I am sure you know, make sure to get the updated invoice relflecting the same price, as you are so far the only one able to get this from them. Congrats!! And I wish I didn't have the card either, and once I reach that $500 off certificate it gets cancelled and cut up!!!:eek:

We were booked on the Pearl for 5 days starting 12/28/08.

I called our TA at Liberty and he hadn't been notified about the cancellations.

He asked me how i knew about this-------------

I said, "Have you ever heard of Cruise Critic?"

Yep, I have the new invoice. They emailed it while we were on the phone.

We just got this NCL credit card for this cruise. We have always used our RCI card since we cruise them the most.

I'll be curious to hear what this relocation team comes up with. Please be sure to post.

Some of the same ports the Pearl/Jewel visit are also on the 7 day cruise on the Dawn. Any thoughts on the Dawn? Wonder if they'd still honor the 2 category upgrade if I picked a ship that wasn't on their cancellation email.

You did well. The Jewel is one of my favorite ships. Happy New Year

d man

Haven't heard back from my T.A. yet but I have to leave for a cruise on 1/5 (RCI!! Yeah!) and of course a decision has to be made by January 10th. What to do.

Am hoping we don't have to pay the fuel surcharge b'cause I just don't think it would be right at this point. Alwayls something w/ NCL and yes, I really did love the Pearl when I first cruised her last month (see my review).

I will post to let all know of the outcome and hope that everyone else does likewise.

Let's keep our fingers crossed! Happy New Year!

Haven't heard back from my T.A. yet but I have to leave for a cruise on 1/5 (RCI!! Yeah!) and of course a decision has to be made by January 10th. What to do.

Am hoping we don't have to pay the fuel surcharge b'cause I just don't think it would be right at this point. Alwayls something w/ NCL and yes, I really did love the Pearl when I first cruised her last month (see my review).

We did NOT have to pay the fuel surcharge. Boy had they charged us that, it would have been the icing on the cake, so to speak!!

The credit card is such a good deal compared to the other lines, it more than makes up for percieved shortcomings of a freestyle cruise.

Unfortunately, the folks on shore can be so assinine (How do you not figure out what you are going to do for displaced passenegers b4 you make a decision to change a schedule? How do you not you not communicate this properly to your agents and the TAs) that you find yourself questioning the wisdom of comitting your "spending rebate" to NCL.

The math is pretty straightfoward, the NCL program works out to about a 3% rebate, the other cruise cards are a lot closer to a 1% rebate - which is pretty much in line with all of the airmiles programs. There are a lot of other non-cruise options out there that work out to about 2% rebate and the GM card still works out to a 5% rebate. In theory, if I save money on a car, I should have more cash left over to cruise, but it never seems to work out that way. And I really like looking at a cruise ship every time I use my credit card (which is way too often).

After cutting my ncl card up after some similar nonsense with the folks on shore, I asked BOA for a new NCL card a couple of days before my last ncl cruise. Just can't get away from the notion that cruising sooner is better.

I have not posted on this thread while waiting for the holiday's to be over, so I could talk to the team assigned to this. Well did so today, and here are the facts and results.

Booked an AD on the Pearl for 5 Dec 08 nine day southern cruise fare incl tax $3631.08 on 17 Nov. Fare for Jewel at booking time was approximately $200 less PP departing 12 Dec.

Was offered a downgrade to an AE for a seven day western for $3639 with a $150 on board credit. My simple math says I was paying $403 a day so the price for 7 nights should be $2821 in the AD, not $818 more for a downgrade.

I asked about switching to the Jewel and was offered my AD for $4523.18, an increase of $892.10.

I canceled my booking, and will never sail NCL again. NCL's complete disregard for the folks who pay the most and are previous cruisers, is unbelievable.

I have not posted on this thread while waiting for the holiday's to be over, so I could talk to the team assigned to this. Well did so today, and here are the facts and results.

Booked an AD on the Pearl for 5 Dec 08 nine day southern cruise fare incl tax $3631.08 on 17 Nov. Fare for Jewel at booking time was approximately $200 less PP departing 12 Dec.

Was offered a downgrade to an AE for a seven day western for $3639 with a $150 on board credit. My simple math says I was paying $403 a day so the price for 7 nights should be $2821 in the AD, not $818 more for a downgrade.

I asked about switching to the Jewel and was offered my AD for $4523.18, an increase of $892.10.

I canceled my booking, and will never sail NCL again. NCL's complete disregard for the folks who pay the most and are previous cruisers, is unbelievable.

Good for you. I also cancelled my cruise. I just hope that more people have the smarts to cancel.

I was optimistic about Freestyle 2.0, but after seeing this bait and switch game I am losing my optimism. I expected NCL to turn a profit this year, but I don't see how you can treat your customers like this and expect to make any money.

I just don't get it, can someone explain this? I doubt it.

This morning, I talked with my personal cruise consultan (who has just returned from vacation), and it sounded like she really didn't know about the increase in price resulting from the 9 day itinerary being switched from the Pearl to the Jewel.

She promised to get me an update before the end of the day today. I hope she comes through with a credible response. I'd really like to have my faith restored in NCL. And I really think the 9 day has a wonderful itinerary (all ports are new to us).

I'll keep you all posted.

This morning, I talked with my personal cruise consultan (who has just returned from vacation), and it sounded like she really didn't know about the increase in price resulting from the 9 day itinerary being switched from the Pearl to the Jewel.

She promised to get me an update before the end of the day today. I hope she comes through with a credible response. I'd really like to have my faith restored in NCL. And I really think the 9 day has a wonderful itinerary (all ports are new to us).

I'll keep you all posted.

Good luck!! Hope you got good news

My disappointment with NCL is growing. If I don't hear by the end of today, I will likely cancel my cruise plans with NCL (formally, I might add) and will end up on the Star Princess (Mexican Riviera) or Celebrity Mercury (Pacific Coast) that sail about the same time.

I am another affected by the Pearl cancellations I decided to bag the Caribbean all together and we re-booked the same time frame on the Star headed to Mexico. I am disappointed yes, this will be our first NCL cruise and the first cruise for our boys.

I really want to try out the freestyle, I love to cruise but I don't always love to dress for dinner, and the many restaurant choices is appealing.

We got our official email today from our TA that NCL would be cancelling our 11/21/08 Pearl cruise and what our options are. We just went ahead and cancelled. The Jewel the week before doesn't work with our DDs' school schedule, Thanksgiving week was perfect for us. We probably will not book anything else because the prices for Thanksgiving week on any cruiseline at this time are outrageous. We had a great price on an AB suite from booking early, no chance of that now.:mad:

The first time I called to rebook, I was told that it would cost me $8 more for the same category cabin (BA) but that there were no aft facing balconies available for my sailing, which is in March 2009. The reason we booked so early was to get that cabin for a special anniversary. I hung up and thought about it for a day.

The next day when I called back I was told it would cost me $100 less than my original booking and that all of the aft facing balconies were still available for that sailing! They did not charge the fuel surcharge. I feel lucky with what I got, but I have to wonder why I didn't get the same answer twice. Also, I booked a BC and was upgraded to a BA so the real price of a BA is still higher than what it was when I booked the Pearl.

Now I'm wondering about future price drops. In the past I have always watched the prices and have had no trouble getting a price drop applied to my booking if it wasn't due to a special promotion for new bookings. Now how does that work with my "free" upgrade from BC to BA?

The first time I called to rebook, I was told that it would cost me $8 more for the same category cabin (BA) but that there were no aft facing balconies available for my sailing, which is in March 2009. The reason we booked so early was to get that cabin for a special anniversary. I hung up and thought about it for a day.

The next day when I called back I was told it would cost me $100 less than my original booking and that all of the aft facing balconies were still available for that sailing! They did not charge the fuel surcharge. I feel lucky with what I got, but I have to wonder why I didn't get the same answer twice. Also, I booked a BC and was upgraded to a BA so the real price of a BA is still higher than what it was when I booked the Pearl.

Now I'm wondering about future price drops. In the past I have always watched the prices and have had no trouble getting a price drop applied to my booking if it wasn't due to a special promotion for new bookings. Now how does that work with my "free" upgrade from BC to BA?

There are many more balcony, oceanview, and inside cabins aboard the Pearl and Jewel than there are mini-suites and suites. Those complaining are those who had booked mini-suites and suites, who aren't getting a two classification upgrade, and are seeing higher fare prices on the other ship.

But I am happy for you and the rest in the non suite classes are happy with your new deals. I just wished I could say the same for those in the higher classes.

There are many more balcony, oceanview, and inside cabins aboard the Pearl and Jewel than there are mini-suites and suites. Those complaining are those who had booked mini-suites and suites, who aren't getting a two classification upgrade, and are seeing higher fare prices on the other ship.

But I am happy for you and the rest in the non suite classes are happy with your new deals. I just wished I could say the same for those in the higher classes.

Precisely the reason for my dissatisfaction.

Archived