Please help a first timer pick a room..thanks

jadexx

To CruiserT, there would be little difference between the amount of sun you get on an aft balcony located on Baja vs. Caribe. Caribe is actually one deck lower than Baja, so it would get less sun than Baja if the sun was too high in the sky.

I guess I am trying to compare the AFT balcony on the Emerald to the AFT balcony on a RCI Radiance class, which are tiered out as you go lower...meaning the people above you can see a little of your balcony and you can see a little of the balcony below you. I don't want to feel like I am in a dungeon, I loved the AFT on the Radiance class ships and just do not want to be dispointed on the Emerald and wonder if I should consider a room on the port or starbird side instead of an AFT on the Emerald?

We like the aft balconies on the Grand Class Princess ships because the balconies are larger, fully private, overlook only the ocean wake and offer lots of shade. My husband is not a sun lover and will seek out shade whenever he can. They are not dungeon like but are definitely mostly shaded. I have not been in an aft cabin on RCI Radiance Class ship so cannot offer any direct comparison.

If you want lots of sun on your balcony on a Grand Class Princess ship, your largest balcony option would be a Dolphin Deck mini-suite. These balconies are sized 9 ft. wide x 7 ft. deep but have no ceiling overhang at all - thus full sun if the sun is in the sky. However, they also offer no privacy from those balconies above them due to the tiered design of the Grand Class ships. Your next best option would a side facing Caribe Deck balcony - sized 9 ft. wide x 9 ft. deep with ceiling overhang over the first 5 ft. You can sit on the outer 4 ft. depth of the balcony beyond the ceiling cover and get sun.

Hope this helps. Enjoy your cruise!

I and my wife are going on our first cruise in October on the Island Princess. There are a number of websites, etc. which describe the minisuite balconies on the various ships.

My understanding is that the Dolphin deck is to be avoided even though it will give you all the sun you would like. The reason: Everyone on balconies above you can see everything you do...NO PRIVACY.

My advice, based on what I have read and what I have learned from my TA is that if you want a particular type of room or a specific cabin, designate it when you make your reservation, and don't depend on Princess to give you what you will be happy with!

Just some thoughts to be considered...

Enjoy your cruise!!

I guess I am trying to compare the AFT balcony on the Emerald to the AFT balcony on a RCI Radiance class, which are tiered out as you go lower...meaning the people above you can see a little of your balcony and you can see a little of the balcony below you. I don't want to feel like I am in a dungeon, I loved the AFT on the Radiance class ships and just do not want to be dispointed on the Emerald and wonder if I should consider a room on the port or starbird side instead of an AFT on the Emerald?
The Grand class ships are raked the other direction; on the aft you cannot see the deck(s) below you as it does not extend out as far as the one above it. It does not feel like a dungeon, but it is fully covered above and you only get the sun on it when the sun is low enough on the horizon to shine directly below the deck above you. Click on the thumbnail below and look closely at the difference beween the aft and the side balconies:

2250924430092706180cESeYe_th.jpg

If you want overhead sun, go to the side of the ship.

So does anyone know if my balcony will be partial covered or completly uncovered? again is C701 just wondering

Great choice . . . we have chosen a cabin in the 700's for 7 of our cruises and we love it there. We have not had trouble with the motion and it is a little tucked away so it is quieter back there - people are not running up and down the hall to get to one elevator or another. it is a great location to the adult pool and the rear of the ship. In the long run you might do a bit more walking to the atrium, spa, or gym but hey walking is good for you, especially on a ship :D .

HELP - We are booked in BB Baja749 on the Emerald. Will I be totally covered or some sun? This was supposed to be one of the most coveted AFT corner balcony cabins?

We were in B749 on the CB (sister ship) and we LOVED it. The balcony is HUGE. We have previously been in a caribe balcony but the AFT is much bigger. I would stay in that room every chance I got.

2190416070084625571DBDDmS_th.jpg

Archived