Nassau walking tour

39august

I greatly enjoyed walking around on my own in Nassau. I began by walking to the Straw Market which is close to the pier. After seeing things in the blocks close to the pier, I set out on my own to sightsee. The natives were friendly and spoke very good English. After wandering around and looking at the old cathedral, I asked a native how to get the the Queen's Staircase. He thought it out carefully to give me exact directions, and that he did. Exactly 4 street lights further from this one and then turn right, up a hill. No problem, but the distance between lights was sometimes more than a block. I was glad it was early in the day! At the top of the small hill is Princess Margaret Hospital. Just past that you enter a wide walkway with towering cliff on one side and the towering Fort wall on the other and the steps a nice walk ahead. There are 62 steep steps, and a local man was halfway up when I arrived at the bottom. I was debating whether to try it, when he called out to come on up. So I did! He gave me some history about the building of the fort and the steps, and directed me to an easier descent! I tipped a dollar for his help. On my walk both to and from the fort I saw many very attractive buildings that had been restored and some nice parks with lots of flowers. I hope to go back to Nassau and try the beaches.

• 5 months later...

Archived