Best Beach to go to?

travgurl

What we do is take a taxi to the Westin Resort, on 7 Mile Beach. The taxi really doesn't want to bring you there, but they will. You can't use their chairs, but it's not crowded and the bus stop is right across the street. I guess you could take the bus also to get there, then you wouldn't have to deal with the taxi driver not wanting to bring you there. Then you walk over towards the left and follow the path to the beach, don't go thru the main doors and out that way, they don't really like the "cuise" people coming there, but it's a free beach for anyone. We love it there.

Then you might share my opinion of GC's famed 7 mile beach... its overdeveloped...

As a Floridian, I know it when I see it. It's a fine beach mind you, with fine hotels... and GC's offshore banking money makes 7 mile nearly indistinguishable from Florida or Aruba's Palm Beach or Cancun (better snorkling)...

So - if I were you, I'd go to Rum Point. Not over developed - or less developed, beautiful beach and water, decent restaurant...

I had a car rental so I don't know the cab fare, but it's not a big island and Rum Point is across the narrower width rather than length of the place so it can't be too bad.

• 2 weeks later...
So - if I were you, I'd go to Rum Point. Not over developed - or less developed, beautiful beach and water, decent restaurant...

I had a car rental so I don't know the cab fare, but it's not a big island and Rum Point is across the narrower width rather than length of the place so it can't be too bad.

Cab fare to Rum Point is about $70 US - EACH WAY. It's about a 45 minute to an hour drive from the port. And there likely won't be any cabs there to take you back, so you'd have to arrange the return trip in advance. If you want to go to Rum Point for the day, your best bet is a rental car...

Just got back on Jan 2nd. We spent Christmas Eve in Grand Cayman. I totally agree about Rum Point. Best beach day we have had in a long time. We rented a car from Avis, just as we were advised to do here on CC. It is a 45 minute drive, but an easy one. Just turn LEFT going out of the airport instead of RIGHT like we did!! We were stupid.....our own fault....that added some time to our drive out there......BUT ......it was worth it. Very beautiful.....not crowded......very relaxing. We will definitely do this again when in Grand Cayman.....we know which way to turn now! I'll post some pictures when I get home tonight if you would like to see some.

Just got back on Jan 2nd. We spent Christmas Eve in Grand Cayman. I totally agree about Rum Point. Best beach day we have had in a long time. We rented a car from Avis' date=' just as we were advised to do here on CC. It is a 45 minute drive, but an easy one. Just turn LEFT going out of the airport instead of RIGHT like we did!! We were stupid.....our own fault....that added some time to our drive out there......BUT ......it was worth it. Very beautiful.....not crowded......very relaxing. We will definitely do this again when in Grand Cayman.....we know which way to turn now! I'll post some pictures when I get home tonight if you would like to see some.[/quote']

I'd love to see some pictures of Rum Point if you get a chance!!

TIA

Sure......when I get home tonight I will post some. Our day here was so great.....I would continue going here every time we visit. We met a family from the UK there who has an apartment in GC for vacations. They come over to Rum Point all the time rather than go to Seven Mile. They like it so much better. Stay tuned.....pictures later.

We went via an independant Jeep caravan tour, and wished we'd had longer than the hour or hour and a half we had there. It was gorgeous. The food at the Wreck Bar was good, but pricey and fairly small portions (I had 5 golf ball sized conch fritters, a SMALL side salad and a strawberry daiquiri for $20 US). Great beach and great snorkeling. There was even a stingray lounging under the pier that came out to play while we were snorkeling.

Here are a few of my pics:

2827438820071447156S500x500Q85.jpg

2215897680071447156S500x500Q85.jpg

2383588560071447156S500x500Q85.jpg

2116559550071447156S500x500Q85.jpg

2751912080071447156S500x500Q85.jpg

2200422020071447156S500x500Q85.jpg

OK......The sign says.....no outside food or drink to be brought in. We are beer drinkers, so we stuck our collapseable cooler in our back pack with some ice (in a zip lock) and a few beers. I bought two beers there ($12.00) and then when we wanted another one....we discreetly poured ours from the can into theirs (bottle) and that worked fine. But no......you're not supposed to bring stuff in.

When you were there, were you able to rent chairs/umbrellas? If so, what are the rates?

Could you go to the bar/restaurant and take it back to the spot you were sitting (and possibly add something to it) or do you go into a place and drink there?

There wasn't a fee for chairs where we were, didn't inquire about umbrellas.

The Wreck (bar/restaurant) had an area to eat inside, picnic tables set up right outside, and I'm sure I saw people bringing food back to their chairs. The one good thing about the picnic tables, though, is that they had a netting set up over head to keep the overly zealous birds away from your food. ;)

Archived