Depression Central

TEXASMUNK

Lately, almost every post has been focused on how bad things are at RCI.

So, just thought I would compare a few things.....

Anyone out there buy a house in 1981? If you bought that same house today would it cost the same? more? less?

So, when you buy a cruise today, what kind of a "deal" are you getting?

Better? Worse? About the same?

What are you paying for an outside cabin these days for a 7 night cruise?

(yeah, include the fuel surcharge just to up the price a bit).

Just to add some more info..for the same time period, if you wanted to sail on the largest cruise ship in the world, in 1981, an outside cabin on SS Norway was $1,900 per person. With no balcony!

(There were no balconies back then)

If you took the NCL Southward back in January of 1981, your per person price was $1,425.00

What would $1,4235.00 buy you today?

OK, for those typing at a fevered pitch that I am nuts, I sit here looking at the NCL Jan 2, 1981 thr June 15, 1981 Brochure.

Cruising continues to look like a pretty good bargain!!!

And one more thing...air fare to the port of Miami?

Prices in 1981 ranged from $400 per person, RT Boston to $440 from Spokane

Thank you for putting things into perspective...

I might add that in 1981, cruising was limited to those in a certain income level... Today more people from various income levels can afford to cruise...

For what you paid in 1981... today, I can get both DH and I on a 7 day cruise for that...

Thank you again...

Lately, almost every post has been focused on how bad things are at RCI.

So, just thought I would compare a few things.....

Anyone out there buy a house in 1981? If you bought that same house today would it cost the same? more? less?

So, when you buy a cruise today, what kind of a "deal" are you getting?

Better? Worse? About the same?

What are you paying for an outside cabin these days for a 7 night cruise?

(yeah, include the fuel surcharge just to up the price a bit).

Just to add some more info..for the same time period, if you wanted to sail on the largest cruise ship in the world, in 1981, an outside cabin on SS Norway was $1,900 per person. With no balcony!

(There were no balconies back then)

If you took the NCL Southward back in January of 1981, your per person price was $1,425.00

What would $1,4235.00 buy you today?

OK, for those typing at a fevered pitch that I am nuts, I sit here looking at the NCL Jan 2, 1981 thr June 15, 1981 Brochure.

Cruising continues to look like a pretty good bargain!!!

And one more thing...air fare to the port of Miami?

Prices in 1981 ranged from $400 per person, RT Boston to $440 from Spokane

We also had three meals a day in the dining room.

A midnight buffet.

That was it as for food.

We had no rock climbing walls

no basketball courts

no running tracks

no ice skating rinks

None of these numerous free things on the modern ships of today that you do not have to pay for. The use of many things are free to guests.

You had a ship, a cabin with a port hole or window, a pool, 3 or 4 meals a day, your shows, pay bingo and your ports.

And we all loved to cruise. ;)

I am sailing for less on my next cruises then in 1989. :D

I was on the Norway in 1983. My parents gave us this cruise as our honeymoon. I don't know what they paid but I know it was a lot. The ship was the biggest at that time.

The only thing I remember is everyone was talking about the 12 bars and the 3 pools. That was the big deal back then. I think there was only 2 kinds of rooms, interior and oceanview.

If you think the rooms are small now I remember we had a queen bed and it was in a corner of the room. It was about a foot or two to the bathroom. That was it. The really cool thing was the towel warming bar in the bathroom. DH put a bathing suit on it to dry and burned the darn thing.

Ships are so much better now. There is so much to do. I am looking forward to my NOS trip in Jan. It will make us platinum!

A bunch of dadburned optimists, that's what you are. For shame! If you can't you think of anything bad to say, don't say anything at all (or something like that:D ).

Come visit us at this thread and see if you like it: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=676326

All of the negativity is actually a conspiracy to drive others away from cruising. The ultimate goal is to free up the best cabins and make more room onboard, in the concierge lounge, etc... We see through the negative posters' plans, and will be happy to "suffer" with the horrible experiences that await us on cruise ships.:p ;) :D

Eric

Man, you guys are so dead on! All this negativity. :mad: When I started the other thread, [although they moved it:confused: ] one thing you guys taught me was the ignore switch. Have not mastered that skill yet. Help me!!!:eek: It's like the accident you just have to slow down to look at.

I've done a variety of vacations. Disney-Universal-All inclusive-ran the gamit! My first cruise in 05 with RCCL started my obsession. They had this knack of making me feel I was the only one on board. On my second one, everytime I saw the cruise director-he kept callin' me dancin' mama because my son and I love to dance! Both stateroom attendents made me feel I was the only room they had to take care of. How can you gripe about that! I feel lucky just to be able to go on vacation.

You are preaching to the choir with me, sweetie!!:D

I just put a deposit down on our 40th wedding anniversary cruise in 2009, and got one in late 2008, too. And, I just got back from the Vision 2 weeks ago, too.

I figure if I can afford it, I don't care if it's more or less than the ones I paid for before: I'm going!!!!

DH asked where the money for the 2009 cruise was coming from, and I gave him my Scarlett O'Hara imitation: "I'll worry about that next year!"

No negativity here.....:D :D

LOL My husband has no idea. All I ever say is hon-it's already paid for-don't worry!!!

I may borrow the Scarlett imitation from you one time though!!!;)

Yes, he doesn't REALLY get serious until 3 months before a cruise. Then he REALLY wants to know about the money. Before that, Scarlett works great!:D

Our first cruise was in 1976, a 7 day cruise to Bermuda on a relatively small cruise ship with very basic services all for the grand price of $600. We had a great time, but had no idea what we were going to experience in the years ahead. Ships have changed for the better, and rightly so you can justify the price increases. We hopefully are all doing better than we were 30 years ago. The one thing that any cruise line must be vigiliant about is their service. They can't let it deteriate. It is as important as the ship. It is hard to make it better and so easy to make it worse. Service is as important to our cruise experience over the years as price changesmenu changes or ship changes. Service is the one constant we look for and expect. Good Sailing, Murf.

aloha of the seas: And, I'll bet that $600 included airfare, right?

Our first one on the Nordic Prince was $550, including air from SFO to Miami on Delta.

It's still worth every penny, but I pay the higher prices for the unusual itineraries now. I think one of the BEST things RCCL and other cruise lines did was to break into the European cruise market. We loved, loved, loved our cruises in Europe, and those are the ones we will pay a lot more for.

Archived