Getting to the airport in time from Port Canaveral

Angie-Pangie

We just booked our cruise on the Sensation for Jan 13th. And we also booked our flight, which will leave Orlando at 11:35am on the day we return to port. Now here's the tricky part....it was only after the fact that I notice that recommended flight time on the Carnival website. It recommends departures be after 12pm. Is this a big deal? When we did our flight booking we were going based on the ship arriving at 7am, being one of the first off (we are hoping to just walk off, self disembark) and getting on the bus/transfer to the airport. We assumed we would be walking in to the airport by 9-9:30am. Are we daydreaming? Do the Carnival operated airport transfers only start leaving at a certain time? or do they start leaving as soon as they are full?

We just booked our cruise on the Sensation for Jan 13th. And we also booked our flight, which will leave Orlando at 11:35am on the day we return to port. Now here's the tricky part....it was only after the fact that I notice that recommended flight time on the Carnival website. It recommends departures be after 12pm. Is this a big deal? When we did our flight booking we were going based on the ship arriving at 7am, being one of the first off (we are hoping to just walk off, self disembark) and getting on the bus/transfer to the airport. We assumed we would be walking in to the airport by 9-9:30am. Are we daydreaming? Do the Carnival operated airport transfers only start leaving at a certain time? or do they start leaving as soon as they are full?

I don't think you'll make it if you use Carnivals transfer. I was there in September with the same situation and I rented a car from Budget to drop at the airport. I was off the ship by 7:30, (but I am Platinum and got to self assist before the general self assist) the Budget van picked me up as soon as I was through customs and I was headed to the airport by 8:00. The mid-size that we rented was only $55 for the return trip, plus I paid the flat $10 fuel charge so I wouldn't have to bother filling up with gas.

If you do this take a couple of bucks in change with you because the highway is a toll road with one pay plaza. I don't remember exactly how much it was but it was something like $1.35ish.

I would rent the car, both pre and post cruise. It seems to be cheaper than using the CCL transfers. You can go to the pursers desk the night before and let them know you have an early flight ( basically anything before 1230 i think the number is ). The toll on State Rd. 528 ( bee-line/Beach line ) however you want to call it. It was always the BEE-Line when I was growing up. Anyway, the toll is $1.25, that plaza is about 5 or so miles East of the airport.

Good Luck and ENJOY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tim

You are probably going to need to change your flight. The airport in Orlando is a mess in the mornings. Waits to clear security of an hour are not uncommon. If the ship docks at 7:00 by the time customs is cleared you can expect to BEGIN debarking around 8:30 - 9:00. Taking Carnival transport you will likely leave Port Canaveral no earlier than 9:30 or so. Add the hour ride to MCO and you are late.

I hope I am wrong but you are cutting it really close.

I think you will miss the flight unless you have a limo waiting and can get off at 8.30. Even though its a 45 minute ride,you still need to get onto the road,and keep in ind there are many people who drive and park there so traffic leaving does build up.Security can be a huge wait depending on what airline and other flights are around yours.Not only do you need to get past security,you need to get your bags checked and xrayed.

It also depends on when you get to leave the ship (with the colored luggage tags and everything.)

However, I am pretty sure you can request to get off the ship first if you have an early flight.

I'm not sure about the shuttles since I live about 10 min from the port, but I fly out of MCO all the time and I have found that afternoon flights (such as yours) usually have extremely long check-in lines, I've waited over TWO HOURS on some occasions.

=]

the problem w/ port canaveral is that mco is a bit of a distance away -- around 40 mins. i think i wld arrange transportation from there if i had an early flight.

I agree, 40-45 minutes. If you have a service pick you up that would be fastest. OP ,how many in your party?

I wonder why the other cruiselines can't do disembarking like Disney? When we were on one of their ships in September they didn't call numbers or colors. You got up and went to breakfast. At the end of breakfast you just walked off.

I had the Disney transfers and was sitting in the terminal at about 9:15am. Unfortunately my flight wasn't until 2pm.:(

Bill

Archived