Las Caletas or Stone Island?

maxamuus

Have done both several times. Both very relaxing. We love Stone Island....take one of the local panda boats over to Stone Island and then walk the beach to one of the laid back restaurants. We've always gone to Victors. The beach is miles long as I've run on it. Then I've ordered the huge fresh shrimp plate and drank many a beer...hammocks available. Los Caletas in Puerto Valarta area is also very relaxing, but more structured, as everything is on a timed schedule (lots of time for relaxing though). Time to snorkel & kayak, time to eat, and time to drink....no drinking til snorkeling/kayaking is done (which is probably a good thing). Coffee on the way there and open bar on the way back. Los Caletas area is very clean. Stone Island is basically free (except for food&drink). We will be there in April...Stone Island and will try the new Sea Safari in Puerto Vallarta (same company-Puerto Vallarta Adventures). Based on your activities I would choose Stone Island...just more laid back and free to not adhere to any schedules (except getting back to the ship in time which can be a problem if you partake of the authentic Mexican margaritas at Los Caletas)

I have done both, and while I enjoyed both places, I think I enjoyed Las Caletas a little bit more. The scenery was a lot prettier... and it felt more relaxing. I also think the activities at Las Caletas were more unique and fun.

We just got back on 12/26 and we did the Stone Island and the LAS CALETAS BOTH ship tours. They were both good but I loved Las Caletas Island because of the beauty of the place I would love to stay there permanently I loved it that much. Very relaxing I think we are going to take a land based vacation there next time. Stone Island is an island where people live it feels like old Mexico it was relaxing as well we just drank alot hung out on the beach and rented a quad for an hour.

Have fun whatever you decide to do.

can you just get off the ship and get to las caletas on your own ?

or is it private? where you have to book an excursion?

Las Caletas, the former retreat of director-actor John Houston, is now owned by Vallarta Adventures. You can only get there on one of their tours. It appeared to me that the cruise passengers were the first group to arrive. As we were eating lunch, another boat arrived with more guests. I believe they were people staying in local hotels. Our boat left a short while later so it appears they stagger the tour groups.

We went horseback riding the day before in Mazatlan with Randi's and spent some time at Victor's. We loved our day there and hope to go back.

It's hard to compare as they are very different. Las Caletas is much more beautiful, but is structured as a previous post mentioned. Your time there is shorter than you think as the boat ride is long. If you want a massage at Las Caletas, I would do a 30 minute one. I missed out on some of the activities while getting the hour long massage. Some of my best cruise photos came from Las Caletas.

By the way, we had time for a quick city tour after both beach days.

We LOVE Stone Island. And will be there again in a little over a week. The only reason that we haven't done Las Caletas is the boat ride. DH gets seasick, even more so on the smaller boats and since the ride is so long - it is prohibitive for us. But from what I hear, it is wonderful - just hard to compare the two since they are so different.

I agree with Scruffers - if you are touring in Mazatlan - touring with Frank is definitely the way to go!!

Trying to decide which one is best for a day on the beach, few beers, maybe a nap in a hammock, light swimming.

Really only want one beach day so if you have done both which is better in your opnion?

Thanks for your replies!

We just returned from the Dawn Princess and enjoyed Las Caletas, we did the evening dinner and show (Rhythms of the Night"), very nice private beach and estate.

Stone Island is nice for partying, food and hanging out at the beach, the beach is lined with boats and swimming is in the (Port) Cruise Ship Canal, very dirty, full of gasoline, unclean water.

Stone Island is nice for partying, food and hanging out at the beach, the beach is lined with boats and swimming is in the (Port) Cruise Ship Canal, very dirty, full of gasoline, unclean water.

I am not sure where you are getting THIS information. But we have been to Stone Island twice and the water & beach have been VERY clean each time we have been there.... once during June and once during January.

Pictures from the beach on Stone Island in January 2007 start here - no boats lined up... you are NOT in the channel at all here:

http://travel.webshots.com/photo/2103493640032405699hspDxf

Pictures from the beach on Stone Island in June 2004 start here - also clean.

http://travel.webshots.com/photo/2756218970032405699HDjoxn

It kind of depends on what he has going that day already. Those that book first usually get to pick the tour and then he tries to fill it. We also went with him in the afternoon and had a wonderful city tour. Just email him and see what he already has scheduled that day. He is fabulous. He also has associates that he recommends if he is booked.

• 2 weeks later...
We just returned from the Dawn Princess and enjoyed Las Caletas, we did the evening dinner and show (Rhythms of the Night"), very nice private beach and estate.

Can you book this tour with the ship, or independently? It's not offered in the shore excursions but I vaguely recall reading (somewhere on these boards, I think) that it is available for booking once on board.

How did you like it?

HELLO! A quick question about Las Caletas, many of you mention the long boat ride. How long is the boat ride??? What kind of boat??? We are thinking of doing this excursion but it is quite expensive for two adults and two kids? Do you think it was worth it?? Did you see the monkeys??? How was the food?? How much time on the island?? Did you have any time in Puerto Vallerto for shopping afterwards? Sorry more than one question??

Thanks in advance.

I did Las Caletas a couple of weeks ago. We rode over on a large catamaran that carried us (Vision of the Seas), passengers from the Dawn Princess and people staying at local hotels.

The ride over in the morning can be rough, and they were offering Dramamine to anybody who wanted it. It took about 45 minutes to get there. It was a little bumpy, but not too bad for me (I'm only prone to seasickness in really long swells).

I thought it was a great way to have a lazy day. They offered snorkelling, kayaking, yoga, a walk and a parrot & monkey show in addition to an open bar (included) and wonderful buffet lunch. All I did was nap in a hammock for a couple of hours, read in the sun for a little bit, make friends with one of the resident stray cats (who joined us for lunch) relax. So it can be as active or sluggish as you like.

We got back to PV at about 4:00 which left plenty of time for shopping before we left, although we just went back to the ship. Our ship departed PV at 8:00 pm, which was too early for the Rhythms of the Night show. I hear, however that it's a fantastic event.

Although I enjoyed doing it once, I don't think I would do it again unless we could see the night show. $86 for a beach day is pretty steep.

• 4 weeks later...

Yes, "Flounder Eight" there are in fact 2 for each sex & very clean. We just returned from a 1 week AI holiday at PV & did the Las Caletas Tour at 11:30 on Tues ~ that trip includes dolphin & whale watching ~ saw LOTS of dolphins & a couple of whales. It gets back at 6 pm. The whole tour & boat ride were great!

~Jo~ :)

we were planning on going to Las Caletas in March, but are now second guessing ourselves.....to those of you who were just there- was the water temperature warm enough to swim and/or snorkel? I understand it can be chilly....we would be booking independently to save some money- if we want to leave early and go back to the mainland, do you think we would be able to get on an earlier trip back?

we are thinking that if the water is going to be cold we don't want to sit out in the sun all day and not be able to swim.

If we don't go to Las Caletas, does anyone know of any other, closer beach that we could go to for a swim or a snorkel, without taking up the whole day? It seems like most of the beaches are unswimmable or not suitable for snorkeling...

thanks for any input!

Sue

Sue ~ Last week there were some people snorkelling & swimming. There's other things to do like going on a nature walk, walking along the beach to a cave,other water activities plus lots of shady places to sit. You also have the buffet lunch which is very nice.

I think getting a boat back would be difficult as there only seems to be the 2 trips. The ride back is fun as the staff entertains.

~Jo~ :)

we were planning on going to Las Caletas in March, but are now second guessing ourselves.....to those of you who were just there- was the water temperature warm enough to swim and/or snorkel? I understand it can be chilly....we would be booking independently to save some money-

Sue

We were there in November and the water was fine. You may find it too cold in March.

Vallarta Adventures owns Las Caletas and runs the boats there. Due to their contract with the cruise lines, I've heard they will not book excursions to cruise ship passengers. If you want to take this excursion, you must book through the cruise line.

thanks for the info on the boats,water and snorkelling. I realize there are other things to do there, but I have 2 teens who want to snorkel, and another parent who doesn't want to spend the day on an island if they AREN't going to snorkel. she would rather have the teens snorkel another time, and do something more productive for the day In PV. I am just trying to make everyone happy..... I can book through a third party - a company that gets good reviews-cheaper than the cruiseship-

Does anyone know if there ARE closer beaches that the girls could snorkel at?

Thanks!

SUe

Archived