Dolphin Discovery swim - ethics

LA-Mom

Here is my chance to have my kids swim with the dolphins. But guess what - the spouse wants to know much information before I get the green light.

I looked at the website dolphindiscovery.com. It does not go into details about how the dolphins are treated, maintained, etc. Are these animals rescued or captured? Our problem when we were in Mexico is that the dolphins were captured and kept really appaling conditions. It was a no brainer not to support a country that exploited dolphins and did not care for them.

Any thoughts or experiences to help us decide to book this excursion would be much appreciated. In the end I have to agree with my spouse - I want my girls to enjoy and learn about dolphins and NOT support exploting them.

Thank you much.

All the information I have ever seen concerning this operation is anecdotal and allegations.

That being said it was reported that at least a couple of the original dolphins died from poor treatment. The allegations charged that these dolphins were captured in other areas of the Caribbean and sold through other dolphin swim operations. Although the areas where these animals are kept may appear large to some, compare that to the open sea, There can be no comparison.

The country of the BVI does not own them, it is a private operation. I have heard locals who despise this place. I have also seen posts from people that loved it there, I have to wonder if the dolphins do?

My opinion is mine alone and everyone is free to choose their path but I will not support, condone or encourage anyone to patronize this operation.

Well, after spending days researching and explaining the pros and cons to my six and nine yr old daughters, both decided firmly. They did NOT want to support this activity no matter how much they wanted to swim with dolphins. I felt guilty since they both worked so hard during the school year to earn this. On one cruise they both felt so bad because the excursion was fully booked. However, now I see there was a reason why they could not go, it was faith.

My girls could not understand why others do this excursion. I could not explain to them why or gave them an answer, but that I would support their decision. In the end, I am glad I spent the time to understand this activity. This industry will not see a dime from my family. The more research I did, the angrier I became. By the way, I did not sway them in either direction whether or not to participate, but I presented the facts to both. Spending money for me was never the issue either.

Thanks Pyrate. You very much verified and helped me with my research. I appreciate your comments and how you wrote them. I hope others spend the time to understand what they are doing and come to the same conclusion as my girls.

If you come up with a recommendation for a great excursion, please let me know. I would like my girls to enjoy themselves on this excursion. Unless something better is suggested, we may just find a hotel that will let them have fun in fresh water pool or go to Cane Garden. Thoughts about an excursion anyone?

Regards

We did this 3 years ago and found beautiful conditions and no signs of Mistreated dolphins. It's in a natural sanctuary and is worth every penny doing it once. The day we were there Joan Rivers and her daughter were there as well. Go for it. It's a beautiful place.

as soon as you arrive,you will notice there's no bad conditions. Why not just check for yourself. Happy New year

J.M.

I have just read so many things discussing the differences between dolphin activity in the wild vs. activity at swim with the dolphins attractions. When reading things that say dolphins never stop swimming and go for miles each day and then think about how they are confined to pens...it breaks my heart. I don't think that the common lay person would be able to honestly tell a healthy dolphin from a mistreated one. I know that you would be able to see the signs of physical mistreatment, but there are other forms as well. I posted something on the Cozumel boards about this and was blasted as some sort of animal rights radical. I am glad to see that others agree that something like this shouldn't be an attraction.

.....personally.....I have no interest to swim with dolphins........that are in a Dolphin Prison.

These are beautiful animals that naturally swim miles every day..........in the open ocean.........not in circles in a prison....:(

Well, after spending days researching and explaining the pros and cons to my six and nine yr old daughters, both decided firmly. They did NOT want to support this activity no matter how much they wanted to swim with dolphins. I felt guilty since they both worked so hard during the school year to earn this. On one cruise they both felt so bad because the excursion was fully booked. However, now I see there was a reason why they could not go, it was faith.

My girls could not understand why others do this excursion. I could not explain to them why or gave them an answer, but that I would support their decision. In the end, I am glad I spent the time to understand this activity. This industry will not see a dime from my family. The more research I did, the angrier I became. By the way, I did not sway them in either direction whether or not to participate, but I presented the facts to both. Spending money for me was never the issue either.

Thanks Pyrate. You very much verified and helped me with my research. I appreciate your comments and how you wrote them. I hope others spend the time to understand what they are doing and come to the same conclusion as my girls.

If you come up with a recommendation for a great excursion, please let me know. I would like my girls to enjoy themselves on this excursion. Unless something better is suggested, we may just find a hotel that will let them have fun in fresh water pool or go to Cane Garden. Thoughts about an excursion anyone?

Regards

I'll bet you are so proud of those girls. I hope they get a specially nice treat. I wish more adults were as ethical and conscientious.

I applaud your decision to avoid the dolphin swim- and I am saddened and appalled that the BVI permits this business to operate. I have spent much time in the BVI since 1978 and there have been many changes- more building and the cruise industry has taken hold- and I think that the dolphin swim excursion is a direct result of the influx of cruise passengers to a relatively quiet and formerly unspoiled island. I have observed that dolphin swims are often associated with cruise ports- and large resorts- ie Roatan, Cozumel, Tortola and Hawaii- there used to be one in the Bahamas.

This of course is my opinion.

As cruise passengers, we do leave a pretty large footprint on the islands we visit- but we should not rpomote animal cruelty for the sake of a dollar.

I heard an advertisement on Carnival Cruises this afternoon on the radio. They apparently promote this dolphin swim. If my girls fully understand how these intelligent and lovable animals are being exploited and caged, it behooves me that Carnival considers this an excursion. I am truly turns my stomach that Carnival wants any part in this activity. After much time thinking about this, I still cannot comprehend how others justify swimming with Dolphins. But then again, it can be easier to turn a blind eye.

Thanks again for everyone's help on this forum. My girls decided to stay on the boat and/or just walk around the place. We plan to support the local economy by shopping and purchasing a local cuisine for lunch. Anyone know a nice restaurant walking distance from the dock? Seafood and a domestic beer for me...kids food for my girls would be awesome. Shopping along the way would be desirable. Two more days till we sail.

Regards and thank you

• 3 years later...

I just found this thread and while it's old, it's still very relevant. I'm sure there will be a fair share of people who will "flame" and whatnot. But perhaps instead you could just take a moment and really think about this stuff without having to post anything negative...

It doesn't matter, you are just putting info out there, how others process it is their own business!!!

We did a dolphin swim in Coz once, the pens were small and I really felt guilty, I'll never do one again, I agree with dolphins belong in the ocean, not penned up for peoples pleasure or profit.

One excursion you can do with a clear conscious is the Stingray sandbar in Grand Cayman, the stingrays come when they see the boats because they know they will be fed and they really seem to enjoy swimming with people, we've done it twice and recommend it highly!!!

The stingrays are in no way penned or contained here.

Cheers, Carole

Thank you for posting this. Its really hard to find information on this subject from organizations that don't have the reputation of being in the extremes. However, the Humane Society of the US recommends not patronizing captive dolphin exhibits, and my family has decided to accept that recommendation. Its really hard, though, when you have kids who would love to swim with dolphins, and who see other happy kids returning with cute stuffed dolphins and photos of "smiling" dolphins. If anyone's interested in close up observation of wild dolphins, I highly recommend a visit to Hilton Head, the dolphin population in Calliobogue Sound is well protected and can be observed up very close from small Zodiac boats.

• 1 month later...

Thank you for posting this.

My 11 yr old daughter also wants to touch a dolphin, but i am sure , she didnt like to swim with these poor captured animals. I tried to get a cruise tour with dolphin watching on sea but i think this is more difficult to find....

My family is very animal friendly, i would not put my horses in an animal abuse situation, so i will not spend my money for these dolphin "adventure". Sorry for my daughter not to have the experience to be as near as possible to theses animals....

Summer

Archived