Frizzy Curly Hair, what products?

JRarey

I have Curly hair that frizzes in the humidity.

I have tried many products and have yet to find the right ones for my hair.

I will bring a flat iron for formal nights and I dont mind doing it curly for other nights, if I can keep it from frizzing!

What products do you frizzy, curly hair ladies use to keep curls from frizzing? What products do you use when you straighten it to make it shiny and silky?

I seem to take an entire carry on of hair care products with me because of the sun, sea, wind and humidity. Would like to narrow it down to just a few.

Your suggestions are appreciated!

Jan

We all have curly hair that frizzes here. And all have our favorite solutions. I color my hair and use Goldwell Trendline Straightener mixed with a little Goldwell Trendline Shine Wax while my hair is still wet. Then I blow it dry and use a flat iron or curling iron. Sometimes I use Goldwell Trendline Shine Spray afterwards. I also find that the wax helps when my hair is dry and frizzes. Just be careful not to use too much. I will try to post later when my daughters are up. One keeps her hair long and straight and the other likes hers long and curly, but without frizz. I will find out what they use. They have both researched it extensively. Good luck. Have a wonderful cruise.

To have my hair curly but not frizzy, I just wash it and use the Goldwell Trendline Straightener and just let it dry by itself. I have to always remember not to play with my hair. That will make it frizz too.

To have my hair curly but not frizzy, I just wash it and use the Goldwell Trendline Straightener and just let it dry by itself. I have to always remember not to play with my hair. That will make it frizz too.

I too have very curly and frizzy hair. I use Matrix sleek.look (the orange line) No. 3 Extreme styling creme while my hair is still wet. Then I use Paul Mitchell Sculpting Foam. I do not dry my hair since it is short and I live in a warm climate. The Matrix product is a hair straightener and the Paul Mitchell holds it all in place. Works great for me, even in the humid Caribbean.

My hair just looks nasty in any kind of humid weather no matter what I use. I am letting my hair grow longer now for my upcoming trips. After years of spending way to much time on my hair on vacations only to end up looking frizzed anyway, here's what I do now: After I wash it, I'll put gel on it, pull it back into a ponytail, stick a cap on my head and pull the tail through the back of the cap. Put some cute big earrings on, and hope that the cap stays on my head! If I go swimming, I'll put more gel on when I get out and put the ponytail and hat back on. It is very freeing and timesaving!!

For evening, use whatever products you have, then flat iron, and don't go outside! I think you have to find what works best on your particular hair type. I find that most anti-frizz products do nothing for my hair.

Daughters are awake now and I do believe they are experts at anti-frizz. The daughter who likes to have her hair curly but not frizzy uses Curl Friends. She says there are several products and you need to experiment to see what is best for you. She went to school in New Orleans so is used to dealing with humidity. The daughter who wears her hair straight uses Bumble & Bumble De-Frizz. It goes on after you have dried and ironed your hair or just before going out. She said to be very careful with it though because it is highly flammable. She stays away from open fires and people who are smoking. Obviously, her hair takes priority. Also, there used to be a website called naturallycurly dot com which had many suggestions. I am not sure if it still exists. Hope this helps. Have fun.

I, too, have curly hair that manages to frizz. Despite the fact that I get it professionally straightened at my salon (she uses the products by Iso), my hair is just fine here in the midwest, but as soon as I step foot off an airplane in anywhere hot/humid, no matter what straightening agents I put in my hair, it still has a mind of its own. During my recent trip to Hawaii, wore a hat most of the time I was outdoors. Even with the straightening of my hair, I still use a Matrix straightening balm prior to blow drying my hair; I then use a flat iron.

I use Curls Rock, a leave in hair conditioner. Also, leave your hair be while it's drying. Don't fuss with it.

to extra tame the frizzies I might rub a very small amount of a serum product like frizzeeze or shine shock, but just a teeny tiny amount. I rub it on my palms then a couple squirts of curls rock and into the hair it goes. Then I don't touch. the less you fuss with your curls, the nicer they will lay.

I have the curliest hair in the world. When I go to get my hair cut in a new salon the stylist cannot believe that it is naturally that curly. It is also extremely thick. I am a pro at dealing with curly, frizzy hair. I use Paul Mitchell conditioner every day (it is a leave in conditioner, just be sure not to use too much), and I use a Kendra product called "straightening serum" when it is really humid outside (it is a spray kind of like hair spray). I use the straightening serum along with the conditioner on really bad days. If it weren't for the paul mitchell "the conditioner" I wouldn't even be able to comb my hair because it is so extremely curly. Hope this helps.

I have extremely thick wavy hair that turns to frizz every cruise! Last cruise I tried Aquage products recommended by stylist. Worked very well to tame my hair. Some others that work well but yet to be cruise tested. Paul Mitchell Super Skinny line. Matrix Sleek line. Also TIGI S Factor.

Matrix's Sleek Look is a god send to frizzy hair :) Also Biolage has a smoothing serum which is incredible!!! I will use a few drops after flat ironing or curling iron to get rid of those pesky fly-aways :)

Also I find not rinsing out all the condtioner helps....sounds stupid but I make sure to rinse it off my scalp but to leave some on the midshaft and ends :)

I love seeing all of the different products curly haired girls use. I've pretty much perfected my routine, and it all starts with the cut. Make sure you have layers because if it is all one length your hair will get weighed down. I have shoulder length curly hair (you can kind of see it in my picture) with lots of layers. Thank goodness I found a stylist with equally curly hair who knows what she is doing. Next comes to the right shower routine. I only shampoo my hair once or twice a week or if I'm planning on straightening it. However, I do use conditioner every time I wash my hair. I find that the extra build up keeps the curl better. I actually use a color shampoo instead of anything curl related. Next I do a bit of towel drying, then I comb through making sure to get it piece-y. Then I flip my head upside down and scrunch a bit to encourage the curl. I scrunch in a leave-in conditioner by TIGI Bead Head called Ego Boost. It's really lightweight but I would NEVER use it if I was straightening my hair. Next I use a cream by TIGI Catwalk called Curls Rock. I use 2 pumps for my lengths. I work it through my hands first, then my hair. Now, the absolute KEY for curls, for my hair at least, is my hairdryer with a diffuser. There is no way my hair would turn out unfrizzy without this amazing invention. I finish with John Frieda Frizz-Ease Moisture Barrier Firm-Hold Hair Spray in an aerosol can. It is AMAZING. Sorry this turned into a novel, but I do hope this helped. I always love to help a fellow curly haired sister out!:)

Thank you ladies!

I am off to buy my haircare products. I am leaving this weekend for 2 weeks of sun, sand, and umbrella drinks!

Hopefully I will have great hair in one of my ship photos.

Happy cruising to you all.

Jan

Remember girls less is best! Especially products with silicones. Too much and weighed down greasy looking hair. I use to be a overuser until my hairdresser set me straight. Was told no more than a quarter size for shampoo/cond. Less for leave in taming products...

• 1 month later...

I know this post is too late for your cruise, but as a naturally curly myself I would love to direct you to a great website.

www.naturallycurly.com

I have been a member there for many years and there is TONS of info about curly hair. In my personal experience I have found that many hair products containing proteins makes my hair feel like straw. On the other hand, anything with silicones ("cones") makes my hair silky and shiny! Each curly has different curl needs.

For example, eq302504 needs layers in her curls. If I have my hair layered it winds up scrunching up to high at the back of my head and my longer layers hang down and I look like a dork.

Check out the site. I think you will love it!

BTW...my screen name is twirlacurl there also, so give me a shout out:D

Joan

Great tips here!

I've not had any luck with Paul Mitchell products, so it must be a personal thing depending on the climate and exact hair texture. That, in itself, is good to know.

I live in a very humid climate (Georgia!) and have fairly dry hair, so I need lots of good product in my hair every day. One tip I recently learned is NOT to rub your hair after showering. Gently *squeeze* the water from your hair instead. Rubbing will separate the curls and lead to frizz.

As for products, I use Aveda "Be Curly" as a leave-in conditioner, then apply John Freida's Frizz-Ease gel with silicone to shape. I let it air dry as much as possible, then blow dry (hot setting) to finish. If I choose to "straighten" it with a large (2-inch) curler, then I first apply a small amount of wax.

naturallycurly.com is a GREAT website!

FYI Matrix sleek ladies- I love Matrix Sleek products but I have discovered if you want to go inexpensive- Suave makes a product that acts just like Matrix sleek straightening lotion. I love it.

Another suggestion for some of you if you don't want to buy a ton of full size products- go to sephora.com and search hair care. You will find mini and "airplane approved" sized products. I took a few different sets with me and now I have discovered a new favorite product. Philosophy Shear Splendor shampoo and conditioner for "Chronically dry hair." I also took the Oscar Blandi Jasminetta set. I like the restyling spray. So glad I took these items. They aren't the cheapest but they are good because they are small and packable AND you aren't stuck with a lot of product you don't like IF you decide they aren't for you.

My daughter has super thick curly hair. She uses Ouidad hair products. You'd have to order it online unless you live near NYC. It is amazing stuff.

She uses the humidity control and the hair gel.

For shampoo and conditioner the Ouidad products work great or she will also use Fekkai. Fekkai is available at Bed and Body Works or Sephora.

SHe gets asked to be a hair model on a regular basis, so these products do work!

Hi, I have curly hair and have been using the Aveda hair styling stick for years. You just rub it on your hands and then through your wet hair. It works great! I have short hair - not sure how it would work on long hair...

Archived