Has anyone done this?

alwaysmomof1

we saw several, they were not loved by the taxi drivers. it seemed to be a contest with the taxis...who can get the closest without touching. if anyone does do this, don't stay in the main part of the road...stay over toward the sides.

Carnival strongly advises NOT to rent mopeds at Cozumel. They said they have more passengers hurt on those mopeds than anything else. They said the mopeds are not properly maintained, plus it is very dangerous to ride them in the traffic there.

Out of all the posts I have read no one has said they have done this.

Some dont make it back from the hospital, others are seriously injured, and cant type..

we saw several, they were not loved by the taxi drivers. it seemed to be a contest with the taxis...who can get the closest without touching. if anyone does do this, don't stay in the main part of the road...stay over toward the sides.

Yep taxi at 80kph vs moped at 40kph is bad news.

Carnival strongly advises NOT to rent mopeds at Cozumel. They said they have more passengers hurt on those mopeds than anything else. They said the mopeds are not properly maintained, plus it is very dangerous to ride them in the traffic there.

This is very true and alot of others will chime in I'm sure, Yes they do rent them, and people get lucky and have no problems. Personally its not worth the risk.

There is a reason for this:

M ost

O often

P eople

E nd up

D ead or Damaged

Renting a 4 wheeled vehicle isn't that much more than a moped and it is a lot safer.

Just trying to find something different to do while we are there. My DH don't swim and my DS & Myself love the water. I thought "what a great way to see the island" but it is not worth our lives. Mybe my DH can get a massage while my DS and I swim or hang at the beach:D Is the food and drinks safe? That is another concern of ours? Thanks for the replys

Just trying to find something different to do while we are there. My DH don't swim and my DS & Myself love the water. I thought "what a great way to see the island" but it is not worth our lives. Mybe my DH can get a massage while my DS and I swim or hang at the beach:D Is the food and drinks safe? That is another concern of ours? Thanks for the replys

Food and drinks are safe, they only use purified water for ice and food prep.

If you really want to see the island, you could rent a jeep. There are some interesting and scenic stops for food and beverage as you head around the east side of the island. We did this in October and enjoyed it immensely. We stopped at Paradise Beach for a couple hours then continued on our way.

Mike

The way the taxi drivers race thru town, there is no way that you could get me on a moped and I'm not sure that you could get me to rent a car.

I always said that I'm not afraid of anything, but I have the utmost respect for Cozumel taxi drivers.;)

We actually watched a girl wreck on a moped twice, and the last time hurt her pretty bad and she messed up the moped enough where it was said back on the ship, she was liable for the damages. Do not know how true that is, but we did see her wreck and like I said, the 2nd one really messed the poor girl up.

Archived